Making exploration better

The really challening part of game design is knowing when and what needs to be abstracted. This is an excellent example.

One way to put limits on units and make scouts have more vale is to have a supply line limit for military units (a certain number of movement points away from a friendly hex) that scouts are exempt from
There are a number of 'real life' things that could be used in game to modify the value and characteristics of units:
The big one: make early units either require or have their production enhanced by your type and level of economy/social system. Examples:
1. The number of Slingers you can build is the number of Sheep and Cattle resources you have - because slingers are herd/flock-watchers who use the cheapest possible weapon to defend their charges, and no government of the time actually trained any slingers, just recruited them from the herdsmen.
2. The number os Scouts you can get for free or cheap is the number of Camps you have - each representing a bunch of Hunters who are going to be wandering around the countryside anyway.
3. Warships throughout the game are cheaper for every sea trade route you have - because they represent increasing numbers of trained seamen you can recruit to crew those warships.
And some other features that could be used:
Mercenaries. Not just a civics card, but an actual system for getting Units, either from Military City States, Tribal/Barbarian Camps, or extra-territorial Hiring Fairs. Mercenaries have been such a large part of human civilizations ever since the ancient era, it's a shame that Civ haas largely ignored them until now.
And part of that:
Extra-National Organizations - all the way back to the Classical Era, at least, there were Mercenary ompanies the size of small armies that could be hired, later International Banking Houses, Trade Companies like the Hanseatic League or 'national' trade organizations that acted pretty independently like the Dutch and English East India Companies, modern Cartels and Corporations - even the International red Cross/Red Crescent groups. These could add a whole new set of in-game entities to interact with diplomatically, militarily, or economically. For that matter, many religions had or have now a great deal of 'extra-territoriality' in that they are not confined or limited to any one government or 'Civ' but have considerable cultural, social, and even economic influence on many different political organizations - perhaps another form of Extra-National Organization.

Given the timescale of the game (1 year minimum turn, average turn about 15 - 18 years) some utterly unrealistic things have to be lived with. It's bad enough that a really successful Scout that made it all the way to the far end of the Pangaea continent has almost no chance of ever being Upgraded because it will take him almost as long to get back to friendly territory, and the return trip will be through and past legions of Coursers, Men-at-Arms and Crossbowmen. Breaks of the game.

Consider that the 'automatic' map and exploration information received instantly in the capital from Far Far Away is part of the invisible network of traders, entrepreneurs, geographers and 'tourist' like travelers that abounded throughout history since the Ancient Era, but don't have to be explicitly modeled because there general effects are.
That means
Scout unit is here to stay. rather than being army ability? and mercantry should do this instead?
mmm
it 'Explorers' only work as unit in Earlymodern era maybe? it stood in previous Civ games.
your call. is 'explorer' a good successor to Scout and Skirmisher/Forrester? (basically explorer wield guns.)

That means
Scout unit is here to stay. rather than being army ability? and mercantry should do this instead?
mmm
it 'Explorers' only work as unit in Earlymodern era maybe? it stood in previous Civ games.
your call. is 'explorer' a good successor to Scout and Skirmisher/Forrester? (basically explorer wield guns.)
I think 'scout' is perfectly fine as a title for a dedicated unit throughout the early game. 'Explorer' implies (at least to me) the 19th centry Gentlemen Adventurers who were going into the unknown for personal glory or the sheer love of it. For most of history, that was strictly secondary to very specific goals of finding new places to settle, new markets, new routes to a goal, or fleeing Terrible Things back home. In the 16th century, the Americas were not explored so much as they were scouted for routes to China, sources of wealth (human and natural) to exploit, or land on which to settle. That required 'exploration', certainly, but Exploration wasn't the goal, only a means.

There are a number of 'real life' things that could be used in game to modify the value and characteristics of units:
The big one: make early units either require or have their production enhanced by your type and level of economy/social system. Examples:
1. The number of Slingers you can build is the number of Sheep and Cattle resources you have - because slingers are herd/flock-watchers who use the cheapest possible weapon to defend their charges, and no government of the time actually trained any slingers, just recruited them from the herdsmen.
2. The number os Scouts you can get for free or cheap is the number of Camps you have - each representing a bunch of Hunters who are going to be wandering around the countryside anyway.
3. Warships throughout the game are cheaper for every sea trade route you have - because they represent increasing numbers of trained seamen you can recruit to crew those warships.
And some other features that could be used:
Mercenaries. Not just a civics card, but an actual system for getting Units, either from Military City States, Tribal/Barbarian Camps, or extra-territorial Hiring Fairs. Mercenaries have been such a large part of human civilizations ever since the ancient era, it's a shame that Civ haas largely ignored them until now.
And part of that:
Extra-National Organizations - all the way back to the Classical Era, at least, there were Mercenary ompanies the size of small armies that could be hired, later International Banking Houses, Trade Companies like the Hanseatic League or 'national' trade organizations that acted pretty independently like the Dutch and English East India Companies, modern Cartels and Corporations - even the International red Cross/Red Crescent groups. These could add a whole new set of in-game entities to interact with diplomatically, militarily, or economically. For that matter, many religions had or have now a great deal of 'extra-territoriality' in that they are not confined or limited to any one government or 'Civ' but have considerable cultural, social, and even economic influence on many different political organizations - perhaps another form of Extra-National Organization.
I like this, it make historical sense and is a nice abstraction for the game. :goodjob:
Still I would prefer a more simplified alternative. It is based on the Classes (social castes) fore very pop-unit. Some examples:
1. Patorial villages (Pasture improvement) are founded over resources like Sheep, Goats, Cattle and Llamas. Provide train/maintance discount for Slingers.
2. Forestry villages (Camp improvement) that include resources like Fur, Ivory and Game (Deer, Antelopes, etc.). Provide bonus to Recon unit line.
3. Now Harbor districts was my first option for these but since they would be needed to build and repair ships it is kind of redundant to link warship bonus to them. So Fishing villages were a more usefull alternative (despite small fishing boats are not the same as big merchant ships). Of course they are Fishing boat improvement replacement, they would display an area when placing them that allows you to reach marine resources (showing both the village in the shore but also the little ships over the resource).
NOTE: I know there is the option to have Navy Shipyards separated from commercial Ports (also Airfields from civil Airports) but in term of have less but more continuous and usefull distritcs I would prefer to unite them (especially since naval and air gameplay is underused anyway) despite in real history make sense to keep them separated.

- Mercenaries, are a perfect chance to have UU to be hired from "Minor civs" (Nations for me) but also as Auxiliars when population of the proper Heritage (ethno cultural) are part of your Empire (even also the heritages from others "Main civs").
- Extra-National Organizations but also Intra ones could be linked to certains Ideologies (civics/policies), providing also some special units.

Related are examples I use of the interaction of elements like the ideology Pastorialism providing Warrior class denizens (pop units) from your Pastorial Villages (they normaly provide Labourer denizens), and resources like Horses, Camels and Elephants allowing to train from them the Special Units Horse Archer, Camel Rider and War Elephant repectively. Also others ideologies like Feudalism providing one Warrior slot from every Farming, Forestry and Pastorial villages.

Then the idea is to have some representation of the different kinds of people in your population, but still keep it kind of simple with a limited number of classes.
By the way I also would prefer to keep Recon line to be continous from simple "Scouts" to contemporary Special Forces, mostly for simplicity, keep usefull these units through all the game and reduce micro-management.

NOTE: I know there is the option to have Navy Shipyards separated from commercial Ports (also Airfields from civil Airports) but in term of have less but more continuous and usefull distritcs I would prefer to unite them (especially since naval and air gameplay is underused anyway) despite in real history make sense to keep them separated.
I think there is a compromise to both unite and separate them. Have exclusive buildings for both districts that allow you to specialize them even further. A Cargo Port built in a Harbor would deal with trade/corporation products while a Naval Base would deal with Great Admirals and naval unit experience. Maybe even an Immigration Station for adding new population.
As far as Aerodromes go, adding in an International Terminal for generating more domestic tourism/immigration seems like a no brainer. :)

I think there is a compromise to both unite and separate them. Have exclusive buildings for both districts that allow you to specialize them even further. A Cargo Port built in a Harbor would deal with trade/corporation products while a Naval Base would deal with Great Admirals and naval unit experience. Maybe even an Immigration Station for adding new population.
As far as Aerodromes go, adding in an International Terminal for generating more domestic tourism/immigration seems like a no brainer. :)
Certainly this is a good and viable option. :)

Still, personally I think this would add to the bloated view of cities an overdone adjacent bonus maximazing. On the case of Airfields would be an extra nuisance to build districts only for militar use, when aircombat is already underused. By the way I know airpower proyection is strongly dependent of this kind of specialized infrastructure at the point only world powers have enough of them, but in civ you are supposed to be a world power anyway (especially at late game) so I dont see the need to double management of two kind of airfields. About the buildings it could work with one for equipment (military), one for cargo (trade) and one for passangers (tourism and immigration).

I think 'scout' is perfectly fine as a title for a dedicated unit throughout the early game. 'Explorer' implies (at least to me) the 19th centry Gentlemen Adventurers who were going into the unknown for personal glory or the sheer love of it. For most of history, that was strictly secondary to very specific goals of finding new places to settle, new markets, new routes to a goal, or fleeing Terrible Things back home. In the 16th century, the Americas were not explored so much as they were scouted for routes to China, sources of wealth (human and natural) to exploit, or land on which to settle. That required 'exploration', certainly, but Exploration wasn't the goal, only a means.
If not then what is Early Modern upgrade for Scouts>Skirmishers/Forresters before Rangers

If not then what is Early Modern upgrade for Scouts>Skirmishers/Forresters before Rangers
Does there need to be one?
In my opinion the main idea of exploration for the mid game would the use of ocean-going vessels, like Caravels.

What about inland explorations?
Use light cavalry, which was the main form of reconnaissance in the Medieval Era? You could even call it a Skirmisher. :)
As far as inland exploration goes that was used mostly by the Spanish, during that time, so that could be applied to a Conquistador unit.

Scouts could be used to secure your lands. No scouts, no land except the cities you found. It would emphasis greatly the use of scouts early, and reaching of impassable frontiers. Note that an enemy could still settle your lands (but not take any tile 3 tiles away one of your cities), but it would have to declare war before it. (more wars is needed)

My Recon line:
- Scout (Era I-II) the hunting parties that explore the frontiers of their tribal lands. Good view and mobility.
- Raider (Era III-IV) the barbarian raiders from the Classical and Medieval time. Gain stealth ability.
- Adventurer (Era V-VI) conquerors and filibusters from 16th to 19th centuries. Oversea related and/or auxiliar native recruitment abilities can be gained.
- Commando (Era VII-VIII) militar elite capable of operations behind enemy lines. Sabotage and parachuting abilities unlocked.

Top Bottom