Changing out sound effects

blitzkrieg1980

Octobrist
Hi all. Quick question for the mod community. I am an amateur audio engineer and producer and the sound that Civ5 uses when you click anything in the game drives me up the wall.

I already know about the Audio2DScripts XML file where I can turn off the sound, but I'm not interested in turning it off, I'm interested in replacing it. I have already created a pleasant clicking sound and I would like to replace the stock sound with my own. Does anyone know where the audio files are kept and which one corresponds to the one used when a user clicks something? Thanks in advance!

File you are looking for is interfacebuttonclick_1.wav. Place a file with this name in "Civilization V\Assets" folder to replace it.

That file doesn't exist there, though. I also searched the entire Civ5 directory and no dice. I tried dropping the file exactly named as you said into Civilization 5/Assets folder and it didn't prompt me to overwrite. It just went in. No change in game. Are you sure that's where the file is located?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's apparently buried in one of the game's fpk files @
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\resource\Common\SoundData.fpk
This was the only search result I got for that filename when I did a Ransack search of the Civ5 folder.

Thanks man. I'm checking in how to open them in the sdk. I hope they can be replaced...

I tried dropping the file exactly named as you said into Civilization 5/Assets folder and it didn't prompt me to overwrite. It just went in. No change in game.

Go to "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\my games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5" and open config.ini. Find line "LooseFilesOverridePAK = 0" and set it to 1.

I had high hopes for that one but it's still using the default sound. Thanks for trying to help me, though.

I did like you said setting the LooseFilesOverridePAK = 1 and put my new file named interfacebuttonclick_1.wav in the Civ5/Assets folder but it still uses default sound. I don't know why it is not working for me but thanks for trying.

Sorry to necro, but this thread is the most helpful thing I could find for this specific problem (replacing the main UI click sound in Civ 5).

I was having the same problem as blitzkreig1980: followed gggbbb's very much appreciated directions, but still no sound swap. So I read the description for LooseFilesOverridePAK in config.ini. It reads: "Set to 1 to have loose files override PAK files if the loose file is newer".

The WAV I used had a 2011 timestamp, so I opened it in Audacity, exported, put the new interfacebuttonclick_1.wav with the new timestamp in the "Assets" folder. Presto.

Could also use a program that changes timestamps, like SKTimeStamp or NewFileTime, or any other method of changing the file's timestamp. Though of course, Audacity is also a good place to adjust the volume/EQ of the sound sample.

Hope that helps someone.

Top Bottom