Changing the Save game location

j_mie6

Deity
Hello!

I recently upgraded my computer with an SSD and I'm enjoying the benefits of a faster loading civ5, except for one problem, as my documents is mapped to my HDD, all of the civ5 save games are saved there, and I don't benefit from the speed increase.

So my question is; How can I make civ5 save games into my C drive (SSD)?

Thanks,
Jamie

I wouldn't bother as saves are like 3 MB in size at most and only accessed once for loading, the HDD/SSD only has to deliver these ~3 MB which it (hdd as well) does instantly really. Recreating the map from that file happens in CPU or RAM (and loading all the graphics that are needed, but these ain't stored inside the save file ;)).

The section of the manual titled Saved Game Location (page 14 in my copy) states

You cannot by default save your games into other directories.

The config.ini file contains the following section:

Code:
; Save Path - relative to working (Civ5) folder
FileName =

which suggests that the save path can be changed. However, as far as I can tell, no one has ever figured out how to do this. You might be able to change the location by moving your entire My Documents folder to your SSD. Instructions for how to do so may be found here. I'm not sure that this will work, and probably would be overkill. I'd go with FeiLing's advice.

yeah, I want my documents on my HDD for obvious reasons (memory restraints) but I thought that the saves on the SSD would make a big difference?

With Rome 2 Total War I carved the loading time for a game from 3 mins down to 15 seconds as the save games were automatically on the SSD.

My civ5 loading times for games is only around 20 seconds, but it would be nice to get it a little faster

it appears so... how would I go about setting one up for the civ5 folder in mydocs/games?

Did anyone ever figure this out? I too have used Windows to re-map my Documents folder to my D drive & would like to put the entire My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5 folder onto my SSD without re-mapping my entire Documents folder back to my C drive (as it's grown far too large with everything else that's in it).

Junctions will do that for you ;)
bc1, thanks!

This worked for Civ 4 with Win 7. Should work for later versions.

Be aware that it only works for the last nested folder, for example the "quick" or "auto" folder. Also, the "fake" folder name (the one Civ comes with) can't exist. So either delete or (safer) rename it. For example, rename "auto" as "auto-xx". On the other hand, the target location (the new, real one) has to exist.

In this example, the folder names programmed into Civ are mapped onto the R: drive. The saves can't go into a folder unless the folder is created before playing. This example is for a RAM drive, so they are just being saved in R:. Put commands like this into the command prompt box (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories):

C:\Users\(User)>mklink /j "C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Warlords\Saves\single\quick" R:

C:\Users\(User)>mklink /j "C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Warlords\Saves\single\auto" R:

Quote signs go around the first location because it contains a blank.

Top Bottom