Chick-Fil-A Backs Down Then Backs Up

Formaldehyde

Both Fair And Balanced
Chick-fil-A vows to stop donating to anti-gay groups

Chick-fil-A will no longer donate money to anti-gay groups or discuss hot-button political issues after an executive's controversial comments this summer landed the fast-food chain in the middle of the gay marriage debate.

Executives agreed in recent meetings to stop funding groups opposed to same-sex unions, including Focus on the Family and the National Organization for Marriage, according to Chicago Alderman Proco Joe Moreno.

Earlier this summer, Moreno became a key critic of Chick-fil-A after the Atlanta company's president, Dan Cathy, said in an interview that his business was "guilty as charged" of supporting "the biblical definition of the family unit."

Moreno, who runs Chicago's trendy Northwest Side ward, said he and other city officials had been concerned about the company's donations to anti-gay groups and had been negotiating with executives for the last 10 months as Chick-fil-A sought approval to expand in the city.

The agreement, announced Wednesday, could pave the way for the company to continue to grow not only in Chicago but in other metropolitan areas as well.

"For the first time, Chick-fil-A has provided a way to ensure that their employees know that discrimination will not be tolerated," Moreno said Wednesday. "It sends an important message and is a very positive step for Chick-fil-A as it looks to expand into urban markets."

He said he now will give Chick-fil-A the support it needs to open shop.

In July, as Cathy's comments inflamed passions nationwide, Moreno threatened to block a new Chick-fil-A restaurant planned for his area. He said that the company "had a poor record when it came to acknowledging equal rights for all our citizens" and that it discriminated against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender job seekers and workers.

In short order, mayors from New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles and elsewhere weighed in on the issue, joined by other politicians, celebrities and hundreds of thousands of consumers.

Supporters swarmed restaurants around the country in early August, as protesters gathered outside, for Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, launched by former presidential candidate and conservative Mike Huckabee.

A report from LGBT advocacy group Equality Matters found that from 2003 to 2009, Chick-fil-A donated more than $3 million to Christian groups that oppose homosexuality. In 2010, the fast-food company gave nearly $2 million to such causes, according to the report.

But on Wednesday, Moreno said the chain sent him a letter saying that its nonprofit WinShape Foundations arm "is now taking a much closer look at the organizations it considers helping, and in that process, will remain true to its stated philosophy of not supporting organizations with political agendas." Moreno wouldn't release the full contents of the letter.

Chick-fil-A also agreed to amend an official company document to reflect that its "intent is not to engage in political or social debates," Moreno said.

The company document, called "Chick-fil-A: Who We Are," also will state that the chain will "treat every person with honor, dignity and respect — regardless of their beliefs, race, creed, sexual orientation and gender."

The restaurant chain said as much this summer, as it tried to tamp down fallout from Cathy's incendiary comments. Outside of its July comments, Chick-fil-A spokesman Jerry Johnston said Wednesday that the company is "not offering any response" to Moreno's statement.

The chain has more than 1,600 locations. The company is family-run; 91-year-old founder S. Truett Cathy was named the 89th wealthiest American by Forbes with a net worth of $4.2 billion. Sons Dan and Donald are estimated to be worth $1.5 billion each, according to research firm PrivCo.

LGBT advocacy groups, such as the Civil Rights Agenda in Illinois, said they were "encouraged" by the company's latest decision. Campus Pride, a national group for gay college students, decided to suspend its "5 Simple Facts About Chick-fil-A" campaign, which highlighted the chain's anti-LGBT links.

"Campus Pride is pleased with our meetings and discussions with Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy and Chick-fil-A executives about the future direction of Chick-fil-A in upholding their values of 'dignity and respect for all,'" Executive Director Shane Windmeyer said Wednesday.

Branding experts, such as Jeff Lotman, said the change was a smart one by Chick-fil-A.

"I guarantee you it's already brought in more traffic, and sales are up because of this," said Lotman, who founded brand licensing agency Global Icons.

"The amount of time their name has been in various forms of media has been more valuable than any advertising they'd spend on in a year," he said. "It raises awareness of Chick-fil-A to the top of people's minds."

On social media, reaction was split.

"Yes, Chick-Fil-A was wrong but they've changed their policy and I think they should be thanked for that," wrote user DoubtcastFletch.

But Twitter user Glam_Star77 accused the company of trying "to play neutral."

"I feel like I've been betrayed," the user wrote. "No integrity or ethics!"

Matthew Bailey, a spokesman in Moreno's office, acknowledged that the changes are "obviously not ideal for everyone involved."

"But we think we've achieved something positive for the community, for us and for Chick-fil-A," he said. "We'd rather achieve something rather than beat our chest."

Chick-fil-A makes another statement on controversy

Chick-fil-A is once again in the public relations fryer.

The controversy flared up this week when a Chicago politician said the company was no longer giving to groups that oppose same-sex marriage, angering Christian conservatives who supported Chick-fil-A this summer when its president reaffirmed his opposition to gay marriage. Civil rights groups hailed the turnabout, yet the company never confirmed it and instead released two public statements, neither of which made Chick-fil-A's position any clearer.

The events suggest the Southern franchise may be trying to steer clear of hot-button social issues while it expands in other, less conservative regions of the country. In its statement Thursday, the Georgia-based company said its corporate giving had for many months been mischaracterized.

"Part of our corporate commitment is to be responsible stewards of all that God has entrusted to us," the statement said. "Chick-fil-A's giving heritage is focused on programs that educate youth, strengthen families and enrich marriages, and support communities. We will continue to focus our giving in those areas. Our intent is not to support political or social agendas."

The three-page statement did not say whether that included gay marriages.

The company's response, its second in as many days, was posted on its website after Chicago Alderman Joe Moreno announced the alleged policy change. Moreno said the change followed extended negotiations, and as a result, he would no longer try to block a Chick-fil-A restaurant from opening in his district.

Social networking sites lit up following Moreno's remarks, with many people saying Chick-fil-A had caved to pressure from gay rights organizations.

The Cathy family has always been public about its faith. Since Dan Cathy's father, Truett, opened the first Chick-fil-A in 1967, the restaurants have been closed on Sundays. The company refused to reconsider the policy during the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, sacrificing even more profit.

University of Georgia marketing professor Sundar Bharadwaj said the company is risking alienating its customers.

"You can change your position, but you have to have a rational reason for the change and be consistent and communicate that to your customers," he said. "Two different brands cannot be visible to the customer. Your authenticity is questioned after that, and your brand loses equity."

The company has declined to take any questions from the media.

Earlier this week, before the statements, Dan Cathy tweeted to celebrate a fundraiser by Chick-fil-A's primary charitable arm, the WinShape Foundation. The beneficiary? The Marriage and Family Foundation, which was among organizations cited by gay rights groups as opposing same-sex marriage.

When The Advocate, a leading gay rights publication, called attention to Cathy's tweet, some civil rights groups quickly reassumed the critical posture they had abandoned only a day earlier.

"Chick-fil-A can't claim to be turning over a new leaf while simultaneously funneling thousands of dollars towards a group that does not acknowledge the dignity and respect of LGBT people," said Fred Sainz, a spokesman for The Human Rights Campaign.

Never Mind, Chick-Fil-A Still Has a Way To Funnel Cash to Anti-Gay Marriage Groups

Although the company's [WinShape Foundation] might not be donating directly, Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy tweeted a photo on Tuesday from the 2012 WinShape Ride for the Family. He wrote alongside the picture of a pack of motorcyclists: "WinShape Ride for the Family bikers locked and loaded for 200 mile ride to Wilmington out of Charleston."

That long ride is a fundraiser for an organization that helps lobby against marriage equality. Registration forms for the event ask that checks be sent, not to the WinShape Foundation that Chick-fil-A operates, but directly to the Marriage and Family Foundation at 5200 Buffington Road in Atlanta, Ga. [an address now shared by Chick-fil-A's headquarters].

The forms say the ride fee is $3,500 for each individual or couple. But sponsorship packages posted online show that organizations could pledge $5,000 for "silver" status, $10,000 for "gold" or $15,000 and more to reach "platinum." The Chick-fil-A logo accompanies everything, and so does the WinShape name, but it's unclear whether the foundation continues to make donations.

Do you think CFA has turned over a new chicken wing? Or are they just being more subtle about it than before?

Will this cause CFA to lose customers who approved of their former policies?

I think they're just playing it cool until the uproar dies down a bit. Plus, it helped them land that new location in Chicago.

As usual, business comes first, even though they try and pretend their 'values' are important.

Plus, it helped them land that new location in Chicago.

As usual, business comes first, even though they try and pretend their 'values' are important.

LOL LOL MAMMON

I find it funny to see businesses advertise themselves as traditional and holding values, but then not even espouse any.

The company document, called "Chick-fil-A: Who We Are," also will state that the chain will "treat every person with honor, dignity and respect — regardless of their beliefs, race, creed, sexual orientation and gender."
I hope this wasn't a change, since all national businesses should be like that. Isn't sexual orientation protected in the workplace under Federal law?

I don't think sexual orientation is protected, but could be wrong.

Hahaha I had to look up Mammon. Thanks for teaching me something GoodGame!
Edit: That wikipedia article is where I looked it up. Thanks again GoodGame.

Any attempts at sexual orientation rights continue to be defeated by Republicans in Congress. Here is one such example:

The Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA) is legislation proposed in the United States Congress that would prohibit discrimination in hiring and employment on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity by civilian, nonreligious employers with at least 15 employees.

ENDA has been introduced in every Congress since 1994 (except the 109th). Similar legislation has been introduced without passage since 1974.[1] The bill gained its best chance at passing after the Democratic Party broke twelve years of Republican Congressional rule in the 2006 midterm elections. In 2007, gender identity protections were added to the legislation for the first time. Some sponsors believed that even with a Democratic majority, ENDA did not have enough votes to pass the House of Representatives with transgender inclusion and dropped it from the bill, which passed the House and then died in the Senate. President George W. Bush threatened to veto the measure. LGBT advocacy organizations and the LGBT community were divided over support of the modified bill.

Which completely destroys their claim to be the party of 'Personal Liberties and Freedom'.

Which completely destroys their claim to be the party of 'Personal Liberties and Freedom'.

Well to be fair it doesn't, if you look at it from their perspective. They believe businesses should have the personal liberty and freedom to not hire gays and transgenders.

Well to be fair it doesn't, if you look at it from their perspective. They believe businesses should have the personal liberty and freedom to not hire gays and transgenders.

Well that's true, but only if you think corporations are people and place their rights/liberties/freedoms on an equal or advantages footing with the rights/liberties/freedoms of real people. And on that standard, business should be allowed to not serve black people or any other random group, but this is illegal.

But I guess they do think corporations are people with rights/liberties/freedoms, so point taken. So it's not hypocritical from their perspective, but it is from a non business-worshipping layperson's perspective.

It's still basically just a crappy chicken restaurant.

I'm curious how many OT posters could eat and how many do eat the stuff.

I don't think sexual orientation is protected, but could be wrong.

You are correct. It is not.

EDIT:

Bit more info on that.

Everywhere that isn't dark blue or dark purple, you can be fired based on your sexual orientation.

:)

Best of luck to them, but I'm still a lost customer until the day I die.

I hope you enjoyed Huckabee Day a lot because it earned my lifelong boycott. I loved your food, too.

Preparing and breading one's own chicken is pretty easy anyways.

I personally have a six-day-a-week boycott of Chick-Fil-A. I am willing to consider purchasing from them on Sundays.

So basically Chick-Fil-a spanked the their critics last month, and then decided to reform themselves entirely on their own independent of the same critics.

Double tap.

Yeah, it had nothing whatsoever to do with them wanting to expand in Chicago.

Well that's true, but only if you think corporations are people and place their rights/liberties/freedoms on an equal or advantages footing with the rights/liberties/freedoms of real people. And on that standard, business should be allowed to not serve black people or any other random group, but this is illegal.
But I guess they do think corporations are people with rights/liberties/freedoms, so point taken. So it's not hypocritical from their perspective, but it is from a non business-worshipping layperson's perspective.

Appealing to the law is an absurd argument. And funny you should talk about "Business worshippers" when your view reeks of worship of the state. You believe in a state so big that it should be allowed to interfere with private property rights. If I own a restaurant, I should be able to serve whoever the heck I want.

Note, I think it is highly immoral to refuse to serve people based on race, sexual orientation, exc. and I would boycott any organization that did. But to enforce your values against other people when they aren't violating the rights of other people (You don't have an intristic right to be served at someone's business) is also immoral. Laws like these that intefere with private property rights are fundamentally wrong, even if I don't really feel all that bad for the kinds of people that wouldn't follow them.

CHick fil a is family owned.

Even if the company doesn't give money to bigoted organizations, the family can easily funnel the money they make off chick 'whatever to whatever organization they wish.

Yeah, they could, so it shoouldn't matter. If you want to boycott them, boycott them. That's your privlege in the free market.

Whatever they might get out of that market has nothing on their market share increase in their current areas as well as reaffirming their existing customer base. I like the joint alot but since moving to VA they are generally to far and few between for me to go. All the protests did was remind me chick-fil-a existed and I have been there a few times since.

Perhaps the protests were right and Chick-fil-a agreed with them after a month of thinking about. Yay (I am not anti gay marriage), but the protests did not make that happen. What most people will remember about that protest is that douche harassing an innocent pay window attendant.

BTW Chick-Fil-A never discriminated against employees due to sexual orientation and nobody has provided any proof they did through that entire protest (and god knows they tried). Someone above was suggesting the opposite.

Top Bottom