Christmas Quiz 2012

Richard Cribb

He does monologues
So another Christmas, and another quiz. While only a few did participate last year, it can't hurt to repeat the procedure and hope for bigger interest this time.
I varied the format somewhat from last year. This time the quiz is divided in three sections, one fairly simple, one tricky and one quite difficult. This shouldn't discourage anybody though, since the positions are fascinating and for those genuine interested in our noble game well worth spending some time on.
As usual the solutions should be sent by PM to Yours Truly. And they should contain the correct sequels of moves and some additional analyses.
Preliminary dead line for submission is 5.1.2012. But this is negotiable.
Before I present the whole thing, it just remains for me to wish everybody here Merry Christmas and good luck to all prospective participants.
:hatsoff:

Section 1

Below are 5 position taken from games by famous players. 2 points for each correct solution.

White to move and win.

White to move and win.

Black to move and win.

Black to move and win.

White to move and win

Section 2

We follow up with 4 studies by some outstanding composers. In all of them, White is to move and win. 3 points for each correct solution.

And to end the party, 3 additional positions from famous players which are rather more complicated than those above. 4 points for each correct solution.

Section 2

Black to move.
White has sacrificed a piece and seem to have obtained a dangerous attack. Demonstrate how Black can defend successfully and get a decisive advantage.

Black to move.
Assess this position, find Black's best move and point out a plausible continuation of the game to justify your assessment.

White to move.
Assess this position, find White's best move and point out a plausible continuation of the game to justify your assessment.

Had one submission already. Blue Emu started off with a handsome 10 points. He also pointed out a mistake I made, for which I am grateful.

Thanks for this Mr. Cribb :hatsoff:! I'll have some time the couple days after Christmas & see how well I can manage to do. :)

Quick question : it sounds like the last two problems aren't purely tactical puzzles (as in forced winning of a piece and/or mate), is this the case?

Thanks for this Mr. Cribb :hatsoff:! I'll have some time the couple days after Christmas & see how well I can manage to do. :)
I think you can do quite well. Anyway, I strongly suspect you have to if you want to beat (at least) Blue Emu...

Quick question : it sounds like the last two problems aren't purely tactical puzzles (as in forced winning of a piece and/or mate), is this the case?
Sorry, but I can't answer that question. I am afraid that you are supposed to find that out yourself.

I think you can do quite well. Anyway, I strongly suspect you have to if you want to beat (at least) Blue Emu...
I'm not really out for competition, just want to do as well as I can. :)

If there are certain ones I can't get I may present them at the Marshall club in NY just to try to watch stronger players than I's thought process but of course this will be after I've tried my own hand & submitted my answers (or lack thereof). I view these types of contests more as opportunities for pushing myself & learning than trying to be the best. I'm sure if we had all hands on deck from the olden days of this subforum I'd stand little chance at being #1. I miss the activity here, most of the chessplayers seem to have disappeared.

Sorry, but I can't answer that question. I am afraid that you are supposed to find that out yourself.
Doh!

I'm not really out for competition, just want to do as well as I can. :)
That's the spirit!

If there are certain ones I can't get I may present them at the Marshall club in NY just to try to watch stronger players than I's thought process but of course this will be after I've tried my own hand & submitted my answers (or lack thereof). I view these types of contests more as opportunities for pushing myself & learning than trying to be the best. I'm sure if we had all hands on deck from the olden days of this subforum I'd stand little chance at being #1. I miss the activity here, most of the chessplayers seem to have disappeared.
You might do just that and I suppose that there are quite a few of the members of that club who would score 100%, if only because they would probably have seen these very positions before.
As for the competition, at least you don't have to match your wits with me...:D
Regarding this forums activity or rather lack thereof, I am obviously one of the culprits. However this year have been particulary rough for me, I haven't played much chess in real life either (I had to renounce participation in no less than 5 tournament, among them being an invitional international one) the only thing I managed was to win my local championship before I left Norway and to win a small training match against an old aquaintance. Also, it is not very motivating to post anything here. one usually doesn't get too much valuable feedback, to put it mildly. So while I still visit this sub-forum once in awhile, I am rarely tempted to post anything. we should probably remember that this is mainly a forum for a computer game plus some quite bad political debates...

Indeed. it is a cruel world.

Geez, I'm feeling stuck on problem #1. :blush:

Maybe should take a walk & come back to these...

Spoiler :
Ok, I think I got it, my original plan I couldn't get to work. I'll try my hand at a couple more tonight & hopefully get to them all in the next few days.

Mr. Cribb, any chance you could delay the deadline again? I plan to do two problems a day until I'm done but that's not quite fast enough to meet deadline.

If not that's fine as I'm not really interested in my score in relation to others, just doing the best I can.

First of all, got a small contribution from SamSniped, which is nice as that is a new face to me. 1 p, but only from an attempted solution on 2 of the puzzles. Hope he will have a go at the remaining ones as well.
Yeah, for some reason I can't get 1 at all. Got enough of the others though to feel justified in making a submission in the next couple of days.
You should try again. It is not that difficult.
Apart from that your entry was an excellent one. 17 p. Good man!

Mr. Cribb, any chance you could delay the deadline again? I plan to do two problems a day until I'm done but that's not quite fast enough to meet deadline.

If not that's fine as I'm not really interested in my score in relation to others, just doing the best I can.
Why of course! Is one extra week acceptable? I would very much like to see your take on this as well as the one of some others.

An extra week should be ok. I've done 1-3, just looking at #4 is making my head hurt so I think I'll go at it tomorrow or Thursday (it is nearly 2:30AM and it's been a long day with the toddler)!

Hey, not bad! :)
I will definitely have a look at #1 again then if its not that tough :mad: I WILL work it out!
Also I suspect I made a mistake on #2 now, can see a better idea - but never mind!

Oh, Jeez. Let me tell you something: I love chess and I'd participate here, but I'm to dumb to solve more than a couple of them that are for sure, wrong. Couldn't resist saying hello, though. :D

Oh, Jeez. Let me tell you something: I love chess and I'd participate here, but I'm to dumb to solve more than a couple of them that are for sure, wrong. Couldn't resist saying hello, though. :D
Hello, JoanK:)
If you can solve a couple, why don't you start with those and then proced to the other ones. You might find that some of them are not that difficult after all.
So if you should change your mind, feel free to send me a PM. I have decided to extend the deadline to next Wednesday, as I expect a couple of participants to complete their answers.

No, I am still around.
Final deadline is this Tuesday, the answers will be posted Wednesday.

Disappointgly enough, there was no more attempts except for narz, who tried to solve the first 4 and got 7 points for his labour. So the winner is Pacifist46; concratulations with an excellent performances and thanks a lot to the few of you who participated.
Here is a quick run through the solutions, unfortunately I am indisposed and can't put more effort into it, something I otherwise would have liked to do.

1.Morphy – Harrwitz, 4th match game, Paris 1858.
1.c5 Rxc5 2.Rxh7+ Kxh7 3.Qh5+ Kg8 4.Nxe7+ Kg7 5.Nf5+ Kg8 6.Nxd6 1-0

2.Anderssen – Zukertort, Barmen 1869
1.Qxh7+ Kxh7 2.f6+ Kg8 3.Bh7+ Kxh7 4.Rh3+ Kg8 5.Rh8#

3.Rotlewi – Rubinstein, Lodz 1907
1...Rxc3 2.gxh4 (2.Bxc3 Bxe4+-+) Rd2 3.Qxd2 (3.Bxb7 Rxe2 4.Bg2 Rh3 5. Bxh3 Rxh2#, 3.Rae1 Bxe4+ 4.Qxe4 Rxh2#) Bxe4 4.Qg2 Rh3 0-1 Mate on h2 follows.

4.Reti – Alekhine, Baden-Baden 1925
1...Ng4+ 2.Kh3 (2.Kh1 Ra1+) Ne5+ 3.Kh2 Rxf3 4.Rxe2 Ng4+ 5.Kh3 Ne3 6.Kh2 Nxc2 7.Bxf3 Nd4 0-1 White loses a piece after 8.Rf2/e3 Nxf3+ 9.Rxf3 Bd5

5.Suba – Petursson, Thessaloniki (ol) 1984
1.Nd7 (Not the tempting 1.Rb8 Rxb8 2.Nd7 Bb2 3.axb8Q Qxb8 4.Nxb8 a2) Bb2 (1...Qxd7 2.Rb8 a2 3.a8Q Rxb8 4.Qxb8+ Kg7 5.Qa3 Qd5+ 6.e4 Qxe4+ 7.Kh3 Qf5+ 8.g4+-) 2.Qxa3 Bxa3 3.Nf6+ Kf8 (3...Kh8 4.Nxe8 Ra8 5.Rb7 Bc5 6.Rb5 Bxa7 7.Nd6 Kg8 8.Ra5 Rd8 9.Nb7 Ra8 (9...Bb6 10.Ra6) 10.Ra6 and Na5-c6+-) 4.Nxe8 Ra8 5.Rb7 Bc5 6.Nf6 Kg7 7.Ne4 Rxa7 8.Ng5 and White won.

6.Korolkov, 1951
1.f7 Ra6+! (1...Rf6 2.Bb2+-) 2.Ba3! (2.Kb2? Rf6!) Rxa3+ 3.Kb2 Ra2+! (3...Rb3+ 4.Ka2+-) 4.Kc1!!
Ra1+ (4...Rc2+ Kd1+-) 5.Kd2 Ra2+ 6.Ke3 Ra3+ 7.Kf4 Ra4+ 8.Kg5 Rg4+! 9.Kh6! (9.Kxg4? Bxf5+
10.Kxf5 Kg7=, Kf6/h5 Rg8!=) Rg8! (9...Rg6+ 10.Kxg6 Bxf5+ 11.Kf6+-) 10.Ne7! Be6! (10...Rf8 11.Ng6#, 10...Rg1 11.f8Q+) 11.fxg8Q+ Bxg8 12.Ng6#

7.Kubbel, 1922

1.Nc6 Kxc6 (1...a2 2.Nb4+ +-) 2.Lf6 Kd5 (2...Kc5 3.BK7+ +-) 3.d3 a2 4.c4+ Kc5 5.Kb7 a1Q 6.Le7#

8.Gurvich 1927
1.Ne4! Nd3! (1...g1Q 2.Nf2++-) 2.Qf2!! Nxf2 (2...Nf1 Qh4++-, 2...g1Q 3.Ng3++-) 3.Ng3+!! Kg1 4.Ng5 +-

9.Troitsky 1895:
1.Bh6+ Kg8 2.g7 Kf7 3.g8D+ Kxg8 4.Ke6 Kh8 5.Kf7 +-

10. J. Littlewood – Botvinnik, Hastings 1961
1...dxe5 2.hxg6 (2.Nc2 g5! 3.Qxg5+ Kh8 4.h6 Rg8 5.Qf5 Bc8-+, 2.bxc3 exd4 3.Rxd4 Qa5 4.Rxd7 Qf5+ 5.Ka1 Bc6) Nf6 with decisive advantage to Black. The point is that the seemingly crushing 3.Ne6/f5 is refuted by 3...c2+ 4.Kxc2 Qc8+. In the game White tried another continuation; 3.bxc3; but lost quickly after 3...exd4 4. gxh7+ Kh8.

11. Kasparov - Petrosian, Tilburg 1981
The position is roughly equal, but finding Black's best move is anything but trivial. For instance 1...N7b6 is met by 2.Na5+ Ka7 3.Bc5. But 1...Kc6!! solves all Black's problem. Now White should have been satisfied with 2.Bxc7 bxc4 3.Rb7 Rxc7 4.Rxa6+ Rxa6 5.Qb5+ Kd6 6.Qxa6+ Ke7 7.Bxd5 Rxb7 8.Bxb7 Qb8 9.Kf2 which should lead to a draw, but having pressed the whole game he couldn't adjust to the new reality and lost after 2.Rba3? bxc4 3.Rxa6+ Rxa6 4.Rxa6+ Bb6 5.Bc5 Qd8

12.Morphy - Maurian, Paris, knight odds game,1863
This position is also equal, but again it takes some effort of Black to demonstrate it.
let us first see how the game abruptly ended: 1.a4! bxa3 ep? 2.Rg7+ Kh8 3.Nf8! 1-0
The point with 1.a4 is that 1.Rg7+ Kh8 2,Nf8 is met by 2...Re1+ 3.Kf2 Re2+ with a draw, since 4.Kf2?? loses to 4...Ra3+ 5.Kf4 Rf2# However, Black could have met cunning with cunning; 1...f4!! holds. Now White's best winning attempt is 2.Rd4 (A point of 1...f4 is revealed after 2.Rg7+ Kh8 3.Nf8 Re1+ 4.Kg2 Bd3 and Black is safe.)
but after 2...Bd5 3.Rxf4 b3! 4.Nxf6+ Rxf6 5.Rxf6 Rb8 White has nothing better than 6.Rg6+ Kf8 7.Rf6+ and repetition of moves.

Any feedback is most appreciated.

:band:
Thanks very much for the solutions. Now I finally know the answer to that evil first one! Can't believe I tried c5, and i tried Rxh7, but never the two combined.
Some really interesting positions there. The Kasparov-Petrosian one especially: I can't believe Kasparov lost with White in that position! Also the Gurvich study is stunning. Thanks again for the quiz.

Have not looking at the answers yet. Just wanted to post to say I do appreciate the effort Luce even though I never seem to find the time to answer them on on schedule.

I'm still avoiding looking at the answers as I'm curious to give the ones I didn't do (most of them) a go for it's own sake at some point.

Top Bottom