Christmas Quiz 2012

Have not looking at the answers yet. Just wanted to post to say I do appreciate the effort Luce even though I never seem to find the time to answer them on on schedule.
Yeah, I´ll steer clear from the answers as well, hoping I´ll find some time to solve these eventually.
The effort gone into making the quiz is certainly much appreciated!

First of all, thanks for the positive feedback. I might put up another one in a not too distant future - perhaps it is better to avoid holidays if one wants more people to participate.
:band:
Thanks very much for the solutions. Now I finally know the answer to that evil first one! Can't believe I tried c5, and i tried Rxh7, but never the two combined.
Some really interesting positions there. The Kasparov-Petrosian one especially: I can't believe Kasparov lost with White in that position! Also the Gurvich study is stunning. Thanks again for the quiz.
There is nothing to be ashamed of not finding the decisive combination in what is arguably Morphy's best game ever, even if you did solve some of the more difficult ones.
Regarding Petrosian; in my not so humble opinion nobody ever had so deep an understanding of chess as he. A great pity he lost that match against Fischer, and also that he in general was way to timid. That game against Kasparov is one of my absolute favourites; if there are any interest for it I will post the complete game with notes.
And Gurvich... I think studies like this prove that chess can indeed be an art.

Have not looking at the answers yet. Just wanted to post to say I do appreciate the effort Luce even though I never seem to find the time to answer them on on schedule.

I'm still avoiding looking at the answers as I'm curious to give the ones I didn't do (most of them) a go for it's own sake at some point.

Yeah, I´ll steer clear from the answers as well, hoping I´ll find some time to solve these eventually.
The effort gone into making the quiz is certainly much appreciated!
Excellent. There is a lot to be said for to trying to solve this sort of quizzes; it is one good way to improve one's playing strength.

Top Bottom