Chronicles X: The Fate of the Philosopher Kings

Wow. I know you said everything would be explained eventually, but... wow. I never say that coming. Of course, I have never played Alpha Centari, and I only know a little bit about it. I know the Transcendence was part of Alpha Centari (it was a victory condition, or at least that's what Wikipedia says), but is the rest of it (the war and such) also part of it, of just something you made up entirly?

We'll, it was one heck of a conclusion. All hail Hemling, the Philosopher King! :hatsoff:

ToV said:
Wow. I know you said everything would be explained eventually, but... wow. I never say that coming. Of course, I have never played Alpha Centari, and I only know a little bit about it. I know the Transcendence was part of Alpha Centari (it was a victory condition, or at least that's what Wikipedia says), but is the rest of it (the was and such) also part of it, of just something you made up entirly?

We'll, it was one heck of a conclusion. All hail Hemling, the Philosopher King! :hatsoff:

I stretched the Alpha Centauri victory condition a bit (ok, a lot) to fit the multiverse story elements which I'd alluded to in earlier Philosopher King stories. I just thought it would be funny if Alpha Centauri was actually a prequel to Civ.

I must say, it's weird to be done. Since I started I pretty much haven't been reading or writing anything else, so it's really worked its way into my head. I imagine it will be a couple of days before I'm able to really get my mind off this.

Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Bravo! Bravo!!

A most excellent read! Mad props go out to you, Helmling. Simply awesome!

Great story, Helming. I find myself wondering "what would Helming be describing during this scene" when I'm playing Civ IV. Thanks for the quality entertainment.

I can't even tell you how much I enjoyed reading this. Your story has been something I looked forward to everyday since you started posting it here. Well done sir.

My advice.... work to get published you have tallent, great ideas and put together a good story.

all I can say is do more dammit.

ArmoredCavalry said:
You bring a whole new meaning to our existance with that story. too bad it had to end(or did it?...).

Oh, yeah, it had to end. This was fun, but it took a lot of time away from other things. Each time I've dived into a story, I went in deeper. There's only one level beyond this game--a story that literally documents every turn of the game. That's just too far for me, I'm afraid.

That was the first story I read based on a game (a novel basically) and I LOVED it! It'll be hard to sink in that this story is the last of yours, I understand why and how you feel about it, but it's just that it's sad.:cry:

Thank you for this wonderful story helmling!

P.S. I'll find your earlier stories and read them too! (what are the titles?)

phoenix_sprite said:
That was the first story I read based on a game (a novel basically) and I LOVED it! It'll be hard to sink in that this story is the last of yours, I understand why and how you feel about it, but it's just that it's sad.:cry:

Thank you for this wonderful story helmling!

P.S. I'll find your earlier stories and read them too! (what are the titles?)

Um, they're all the "Philosopher Kings" something-or-other. If you follow the links at the front of this thread, then you can find links back to the previous threads all the way back to Vol.II. Vol I. is lost.

But really, nothing I've done before even begins to compare in scope. The only other one I think is really worth looking at is Vol. 6, just 'cause that's a conquest game.

Well, I went to great lengths tonight to try to restore Civ on my work laptop. I was eager to see what 1.6 had up its sleeve (damn, they upped the challenge...no chopping, and my scouts bit it with every animal encounter) but after all the trouble, including eventually purging the software I need for work and will have to reinstall next Tuesday when this long weekend is over, I really couldn't see what I was going to play for. After spending so much energy on this story, the game itself just doesn't seem to have much to offer now.

Funny, huh. It's been a lot of fun writing this and I'm really glad those of you who read through the story enjoyed it--that's all any aspiring author really wants: to be read. So thank you, it's been my pleasure.

Helmling, out.

all i can say is :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I only just registred, but I figure this would be a most worthy place to contribute my first post.
I've only read this Chapter of the Chronicles, but I can see I'm going to have to look up the earlier stuff as well. It's brilliantly written. For some reason, I'm drawn into the story in an emotional way. And the ending! Wow!
At first, I was thinking 'What is he getting at?' And then the dime dropped. AC being a favourite game of mine (I still take it out again sometimes), I loved how you linked them.
Anyway, kudos. I'm off to read the previous chapters.

I just read parts VIII through X in one sitting.I only meant to surf for a few minutes,but ended up glued to the screen for almost 2 hours!!Bravo Helmling.I don't spend much time at the keyboard as a rule(exept for civ of course).After reading the first couple of posts though,I was impressed with the amount of thought you put into this venture.Not to mention time!(I have kids also,and know the crunch for time feeling)So,Kudos on an amazingly indepth and engrossing story.

Top Bottom