Churches found to have been abusing children entrusted to them in Germany

Can the Catholic Church just stop existing already?

As strongly as I dislike the Catholic Church and think it pretty much twists Scripture and Christ's message to the point of being ridiculous, I would hardly blame the Catholic Church as a whole for this.

Religion of Peace indeed :rolleyes:

Until we scare people who abuse people, they will continue to do it. They ruined people's lives, so theirs should be ruined. Either make them suffer what they did to their students (Which would probably qualify as torture and thus be illegal), or just execute them and let God judge them.

@BTM- Not everything, but high felonies which ruin lives, yes.

Nothing like a thread on decades of systematic, institutionalised child abuse at the hands of the church to bring out the apologists. I'm sure they're just being good Christians really.

Are they considering just a good old-fashioned paddling as a 'beating' here? I know Euros are freaky about that.
Still rather curious whether all 30,000 were really abuse, or if the majority were just the whinings of kids who deservedly got paddled/fingers thwacked with pointers or rulers/etc.

Still rather curious whether all 30,000 were really abuse, or if the majority were just the whinings of kids who deservedly got paddled/fingers thwacked with pointers or rulers/etc.
As a freaky Yuro, I lack the capacity to determine this.

Enslaving would be another one of those thing you colonialists are less freaky about, so I draw a blank there as well.

Did you read the OP? Being forced to stand naked in an unheaten room all night =/= getting hit with a ruler.

Also, while I favor spanking, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of it being done by people other than the parent/family member of the person being spanked. I wouldn't call it abusive, but I don't personally think its OK unless done by someone who actually cares about the child significantly.

Did you read the OP? Being forced to stand naked in an unheaten room all night =/= getting hit with a ruler.
Yes, but as they did not document all 30,000 allegations in the article, I'm curious of they only had a few that were really bad and the rest might just be stuff like I mentioned, or if all 30,000 were really abuse.

Also, while I favor spanking, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of it being done by people other than the parent/family member of the person being spanked. I wouldn't call it abusive, but I don't personally think its OK unless done by someone who actually cares about the child significantly.
I've no issue at all with teachers carrying out corporal punishment.
Enslaving would be another one of those thing you colonialists are less freaky about, so I draw a blank there as well.
Yeah, because the UK only outlawed it in their empire one year before the US Constitution's 1808 prohibition against importation was to take effect. Basically, the UK outlawed it only when it wasn't financially beneficial anymore. Quite the clarion call of righteousness.

Yeah, because the UK only outlawed it in their empire one year before the US Constitution's 1808 prohibition against importation was to take effect. Basically, the UK outlawed it only when it wasn't financially beneficial anymore. Quite the clarion call of righteousness.
You should have made the Dutch your example. Me being Dutch and all. You don't have to tell me Brits are an oppressive people.

You better be grateful to us for Blues mister. Otherwise all you'd have to show for is C&W.

Yes, but as they did not document all 30,000 allegations in the article, I'm curious of they only had a few that were really bad and the rest might just be stuff like I mentioned, or if all 30,000 were really abuse.

Probably somewhere in between what you are suggesting and what the article is implying, but either way, just doing what was described once and causing that much trauma to a person once is enough to warrant execution.

I've no issue at all with teachers carrying out corporal punishment.

You will get theoretical agreement from me, but not practical agreement, for a couple of reasons.

First of all, teachers SUCK at punishing people. They have no idea how to do it. Frequently, they punish the entire class for the offenses of a certain group of people, and frequently they punish the wrong people. This is just from personal experience.

Second of all, its not the teachers job to be a disciplinarian. The teacher should inflict as much punishment, and only as much punishment, as is needed to maintain order. And since the child doesn't belong to the teacher, first of all, if the parent is opposed to corporal punishment, why should the teacher be allowed to go against their wishes? I favor it, but a lot of people oppose it, so they should have the choice not to have that kind of discipline inflicted on their child. Second of all, its unnecessary. A parent's job is to discipline, so corporal punishment is useful, a teacher's job is merely to keep order.

Third of all, its implication creates problems. With a parent, its fine for various reasons, but primarily because the parent, assuming they are fit to have a child at all, is not going to abuse his authority. It would be more likely for a teacher to do so.

I just expected a lot more posts saying "thank goodness that things are improving" rather than using events from three generations ago as justification to dissolve the Catholic Church.
yes

events from a millennium ago are far more useful

It's lovely to hear that the teacher's job is simply to keep order, not to, you know, teach or anything.

It's lovely to hear that the teacher's job is simply to keep order, not to, you know, teach or anything.

Ummm... I meant in terms of discipline, and you knew that. My point was a teacher's job, in regards to discipline, is to keep order, I didn't mean that was their whole job:lol:

Corporal punishment is about as ******ed as it gets. Remind me what the appeal of conservatism is again?

First of all, this does not represent all Catholic and Protestant churches.

Second of all, the people responsible should be hanged. But Germany is stupid enough to just lock them up.

They wouldn't be executed in America either, they didn't murder anyone.

What I find most shocking is how these people were locked up for the most minor of transgressions, were their parents complicit in this or were they incarcerated against their parents will?

Sounds like an overblown scandal, probably started by a group of people who correctly believed they might squeeze out compensation from the state.

You will forgive me if I am a little sceptical about the claim that 800.000 German children had to suffer a routine of nightly naked vigil in unheated hallways.

Sounds like an overblown scandal, probably started by a group of people who correctly believed they might squeeze out compensation from the state.

You will forgive me if I am a little sceptical about the claim that 800.000 German children had to suffer a routine of nightly naked vigil in unheated hallways.

Obviously child abuse victims are money "whores"

Top Bottom