Cities are too strong.

I play on Prince difficulty so if anyone plays on a greater difficulty, I can't say that this will work...

But personally I find taking cities is...well easy. Here's what I do to take a city (this is assuming there aren't any troops lurking nearby the city, that makes it more challenging and requires more units).

I typically need 2 - 3 melee units (units that must march onto the hex the city inhabits) and about 2 ranged units.

I have taken a city with 3 warriors and 2 archers before with almost no problem.

First, and this is really important, I tell me 2 ranged units to first fire on the city. It seems a wounded city is easier to take, and deals less damage to units as it gets weaker (the damage seems to be lesser ONLY to melee counterattacks).

... Once again, I believe cities should be founded with health 'in the red' to prevent this from happening...

Sorry if this turns into a double post, but WOW, I really like this suggestion and I'm in favor of the stronger cities! I think it makes sense too. I admit, I've used this tactic v. AI and it's admittedly kind of dumb, but you can just sneak a settler into a war-zone, make a city, and now you have a turret of death (couple that with the insta-walls buy buying gold and it gets worse).

I believe it may have been you Strategist, but if not, someone said that after a city gets attacked, it shouldn't be able to heal until 1 turn of not being attacked. I agree, but perhaps put a spin on it:

(for example)

If you have a wall, then you can heal the next turn after being attacked ONCE.
(i.e. your walls have been destroyed, but your city is still intact and your army is reinforcing the countryside while your walls are being destroyed). It then takes one turn to begin healing after combat ends, and one additional turn to heal the walls.

If you have a castle, then you can heal the next two turns during combat (if you survive that long). The first turn is your walls crumbling, the second is your castle. Similarly to the above, it will take one turn of non-combat to heal. Two turns of non-combat to "rebuild your castle", and a third turn of non-combat to heal your walls.

Just a thoguht. I like the toughness of cities, I really do, but I can see some of the abuses from just insta forming a city.

TLDR: I too think a city should be founded in the red, at 1HP, and heal normally. Your city should not heal during combat, not until 1 turn after. Walls should allow your city to heal one turn during combat but must take an additional turn after combat to "repair". Castles should operate like the aforementioned walls, but provide two turns of in-combat healing (but require two turns of out of combat healing)

Then, all I do is send the 2 - 3 melee in to attack the city. The city will usually focus on one of the melee's, lowering it's health approximately 25 - 33% with a single attack. When one of my melee's is lowered to 50% or less, I simply tell them to rest until healed. This buys me some time (they may be killed, but usually are left @ near death) while I attack with the other units.

In about 2, perhaps 3 turns at most, the city is mine. No problem!

I feel this is fair, and it makes sense. Cities are hard to capture, and they should be. A 5 unit army is not unreasonable imo to take a city.

If your enemy has 2 or 3 cities in a row you want to take, up your army size by 1 range and add an additional 1.5 melee per city (so +1 melee for 2 cities, +3 for 3 cities). By this time, you will notice your troops are pretty weakened. You'll need to rest if you want to continue (or simply build larger armies).

One question:
If a city is not allowed to heal during combat, what hinders me to redline it with archers and then take it with even a single warrior?

One question:
If a city is not allowed to heal during combat, what hinders me to redline it with archers and then take it with even a single warrior?

It would be very hard to bring a city into the red with just archers. Archer units abilities against cities was smurfed in the last patch. Archers are best against other units. Your preferred method is to use siege units which get bonuses against cities.

Try taking cities when opponent has Universal Suffrage... now that's difficult. Add in Kremlin and other stuff, and my friend's Indian city survived after getting nuked 6 times and swarmed with mech infantry. Apparently cities with a military base heal a LOT each turn.

Zerg rushes are cheap and not very, erm, civilised... but the possibility of being on the receiving end of one keeps a builder/rapid expander honest i.e. forces them to spend at least some time and effort considering defence. City spamming without a military to garrison the new settlements should be risky.

This, more or less. Removing stuff like warrior rushes from the game, in my opinion, actually hurts strategic diversity.

This, more or less. Removing stuff like warrior rushes from the game, in my opinion, actually hurts strategic diversity.

yes its so strategic to build 4 warriors and walk up to someones city and take it man it really hurts the game that we cant do that now.

yes its so strategic to build 4 warriors and walk up to someones city and take it man it really hurts the game that we cant do that now.

I'll refrain from using sarcasm with you if you'll do the same for me, deal?

It's more or less the threat of having 4 warriors show up at your doorstep that encourages strategic diversity. It means that you have to shore up your early defenses and diversify, as opposed to, say, going wholeheartedly for a city-spam spree.

In other words, the possibility of a rush keeps you from getting complacent.

And, just saying that showing up at the door with 4 warriors is a viable and unique strategy in itself, even if it's one that doesn't require a lot of thought beyond logistics. More strategic diversity!

Last note: Going to the trouble of building 4 warriors and watching the game let your opponent get away with building nothing seems suspect to me. Your opponent probably should have to make a corresponding effort to have a defense for your offense. It doesn't have to be 1:1 on effort, no. Your opponent shouldn't have to match you hammer for hammer to keep themselves safe.

But at the same time, the opponent shouldn't be allowed to spend absolutely nothing and be completely safe from something you spent quite a bit on.

I disagree with the OP. In the early game, yes, cities are kind of difficult to take if you don't have the right mix (or a whole lot) of units. But this makes sense. In those days, wars could be fought over hundreds of years.

In the mid to late game, you can take cities with just a few units (or even 1) easily, showing the advancement of technology and tactics.

For example, let's say you bring a single warrior towards an undefended, un-upgraded city. He'll likely get his butt blown off before even making it close enough to do a single battle.

Fast forward to the Modern era, and a single Mech Infantry unit can take down the same un upgraded city, given 2 or 3 turns to do so, and sustain minimal damage.

It makes sense to me.

Fast forward to the Modern era, and a single Mech Infantry unit can take down the same un upgraded city, given 2 or 3 turns to do so, and sustain minimal damage.
This isn't true though unless he's been heavily upgraded, and even then I don't see it happening on a comparably upgraded city. If you're talking about a mech inf v a 2 pop city with no walls against a player an era behind, then yes it's possible. Otherwise the return damage on your attacks plus the ranegd damage from the city should take out your 10 hp before you take its 25.

Now, onto the XML for city combat:

Spoiler :
<!-- City Combat Defines -->
<Row Name="CITY_STRENGTH_DEFAULT">
<Value>600</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="CITY_STRENGTH_POPULATION_CHANGE">
<Value>25</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="CITY_STRENGTH_UNIT_DIVISOR">
<Value>500</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="CITY_STRENGTH_TECH_BASE">
<Value>5</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="CITY_STRENGTH_TECH_EXPONENT">
<Value>2.0</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="CITY_STRENGTH_TECH_MULTIPLIER">
<Value>2</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="CITY_STRENGTH_HILL_MOD">
<Value>15</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="CITY_ATTACKING_DAMAGE_MOD">
<Value>50</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="ATTACKING_CITY_MELEE_DAMAGE_MOD">
<Value>100</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="CITY_ATTACK_RANGE">
<Value>2</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="CAN_CITY_USE_INDIRECT_FIRE">
<Value>1</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="CITY_RANGED_ATTACK_STRENGTH_MULTIPLIER">
<Value>50</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="MIN_CITY_STRIKE_DAMAGE">
<Value>1</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="CITY_CAPTURE_DAMAGE_PERCENT">
<Value>50</Value>
</Row>

I can figure out what some of these are, but not all of them. Specifically I'm curious about:
CITY_STRENGTH_UNIT_DIVISOR (500)
CITY_STRENGTH_TECH_BASE (5)
CITY_STRENGTH_TECH_EXPONENT (2.0)
CITY_STRENGTH_TECH_MULTIPLIER (2)

I agree that it is fairly annoying to have a city placed and instantly have great defenses. Just like host it takes a few turns for a unit fortification to really take effect would it make sense to have a city slowly accumulate strength from the beginning? Say start out at half strength and/or health. Over the course of 10-20 it would then reach the expected amount.

I have always felt that city strength should be based off of city size and era. So lets say it's classical era, size 4. Well then it could be a base strength of 2 times an era modifier of 3 plus a size modifier of 4, so two times three pus four would be a city strength of 10, with ranged attack bein this number times .75 so it would round down to 6. But this is just me throwing numbers out there; it would probably need to be changed a lot if implemented at all.

There is another funny thing about city defences. If a cities defences are at 0 you can march in the city completely ignoring the full health unit inside it. Shouldn't the offender have to kill the unit as well?

There is another funny thing about city defences. If a cities defences are at 0 you can march in the city completely ignoring the full health unit inside it. Shouldn't the offender have to kill the unit as well?

You actually are during the siege. City strength goes up when you garrison a unit in the city, so bringing down the city strength takes into account the strength of garrisoned unit.

You actually are during the siege. City strength goes up when you garrison a unit in the city, so bringing down the city strength takes into account the strength of garrisoned unit.
When the unit on the city is performing actions it's not garrisoned and during that time it does not increase city strength either. Another way of seeing that the unit is not garrisoned although being on the city is that it does not increase happiness by 1 when you have that particular Honor social policy.

When the unit on the city is performing actions it's not garrisoned and during that time it does not increase city strength either. Another way of seeing that the unit is not garrisoned although being on the city is that it does not increase happiness by 1 when you have that particular Honor social policy.

Concur.

Good call and it relates to this thread.

* On an unrelated note, I think they need to work out and improve how units behave in cities. Not being able to keep a unit active (why can't you be active and fortified? if I hit spacebar for that turn, the unit should stay fortified in city but be active next turn.), units stopping in cities on their way to attack, among possible others.

To all the people complaining about city streingth what do you want the citys to be made out of cardboard?

Well, in the ancient era I was thinking they'd be made of wood, thatch, wattle and daub, or possibly mud. Mostly stuff that burns like cardboard, yeah. I think new cities should start off very weak (I like the suggestion they start off very low on HP and need to heal) but end up much, much stronger when given walls and further fortifications. This way you can nurture small cities into powerful strongholds.

it should be a blood bath to take a city.

It often has been a bloodbath when a city falls, due to the attackers looting and pillaging... out of interest: do you have any historical examples of an unwalled, undefended city/town being attacked where the attacker took significant casualties and/or had to withdraw?

If the enemy city has high walls guarded by several thousand regulars, a good water supply and plentiful grain stored then yes, absolutely, it should be a bloody operation to attack it. Of course, you'd usually wait for the defenders to starve if you had the choice - not really a mechanism Civ has :sad:
Spoiler :
unless you carpet o' doom over all the city's food-producing hexes and wait many, many turns whilst getting bombarded by city magic missiles, and even then, if the city strength is still too high once the population has been reduced to 1, what's the point? City spam wins again.

do you have any historical examples of an unwalled, undefended city/town being attacked where the attacker took significant casualties and/or had to withdraw?

He has a point.
"... It is from their foes, not their friends, that cities learn the lesson of building high walls and ships of war. And this lesson saves their children, their homes, and their properties."
- Aristophanes

Top Bottom