City capture crashes the game

After 70 hours of playing i had this too for the first time today, after patch. I never had any crash yet since day one. This was a domination game, so i conquered a lot of city earlier, without problem. It was a prepatch save. When i captured the very last capital, it freezed for a second, then crashed. I tried several times with different units, approach, and crashed. Then i waited some turn, tried again, and it doesn't crashed, i could see the victory movie.

After 70 hours of playing i had this too for the first time today, after patch. I never had any crash yet since day one. This was a domination game, so i conquered a lot of city earlier, without problem. It was a prepatch save. When i captured the very last capital, it freezed for a second, then crashed. I tried several times with different units, approach, and crashed. Then i waited some turn, tried again, and it doesn't crashed, i could see the victory movie.

Loaded up a couple of different saves from my faulty game. Each time it crashed post-patch in the same manner. Added this comment to my 2k support request and got the standard cookie cutter response (sorry its broken, thanks for sending the crash dump; blah blah). Perhaps a new game wouldn't experience the crash but i'm not willing to invest my time in the game w/o an explanation. Being unable to finish a game makes it unplayable in my terms; especially considering the amount of time that goes into a game.

Fired up a game of civ IV as Pericles in response to all this. Haven't played IV in years; forgot how much fun it is.

I think this is also responsible for the next turn crash. It happends even when the AI civs take cities and in my case I haven't met half of them so theres a good chance one had taken over a city and crashed my game. Same turn every time.

Just happened to me on a post patch game. Turn 240, only Aztec's and Russia's capitals remain to complete a domV. Capturing either of them crashes to desktop.
Second time this happens since I started playing Civ 6.

I have a solution to this for crashes that happen when capturing cities in your own turn. Thread here.

awesome post. was going to post the same thing. i think i came across this thread a few days ago. just got back in town tonight and sure enough there was a spy awaiting assignment currently located in $CityName$. I deleted the unit and sure enough, London has fallen. I'm now back on track for completing my first game.

On my side, no spy involved on the city crashing (although I got a spy how just succeeded to counterspy another one and for which I had to either level-up or re-assign).

I've tried a couple of things I've read and nothing worked apart this one thing: take the city with a normal unit and not a corp/army unit. It worked!

To whom interested in that, I've loaded the game through the "resume game" option multiple time for my tests

I needed one more turn to get a normal unit near the city, so I can't tell for sure it's the only reason (because I delayed the capture for one turn).

I read somewhere this "capture crash issue" was corrupting the save file (even if we want to come back to earlier turn), so my situation is showing it's not 100% sure it's corrupting all the game.

Hope this post helps someone.

From what I have noticed. Every time I build on an island (1-3 land tiles). The game will crash on that turn.

I've captured a city-state on an island, and CRASH.

I've always had probablems with tiny islands. I avoid them like herpes.

I've just seen this bug when trying to capture a city (multiple different ways, on different turns, etc.) and it's 2020. I'm a little blown away there was never a fix posted here and it's still showing up in the game four years later.... Also:

When you start a game in Civ 6 a lot of things are locked in to the save file and won't be affected by the patch. The city crashing bug is (largely) caused by a spy being en-route to a city when it is captured (or perhaps razed - some debate there). If this happens then the very *next* city to be captured, by Human or AI, will crash the game.

It's hard to say if fixing this issue would affect previuos saves or not but as they haven't specifically mentioned the bug in their patch notes then I suspect they simply haven't addressed it yet.

In my game I have yet to build a spy and it's crashing the game.

Top Bottom