• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civ 5: Civilizations/Leaders Wanted!

My Canada civ UA in my signature instead of walking on ice maybe pops can work 4 tiles out instead of 3

There's plenty of wonders in the game that don't belong to another civ.

Alhambra technically is more of a Moorish/Berber thing, though that kinda falls under the Arabia civ, but then, not really.

Angkor Wat was built by the Khmer, not Siam.

Leaning Tower is a Renaissance thing not related to Rome at all. Same with Sistine Chapel and Uffizi, though the latter two have associated CSs at least.

And of course there's the Sydney Opera house without an Australia in the game, though again, there is a CS.

Granted I do feel kinda like Canada is likely in some variety of DLC, presuming the game gets more of those.

Canada could be the first Civ with a UEh!

Aside from that, there's certainly the player desire and gameplay possibilities for it to be a good inclusion.

I thought about this and I think it will be fun if the Canadian UA was that another player CANNOT declare war on Canada if Canada has an ambassador in their capital. It's all about diplomacy.

True facts: Canada has the best PR department in the world, you haven't realized it yet.

Ooh yes, those are some very nice civs. The East India Company is definitely an odd one, but it's also very interesting, a practically independent entity founded more as a business than a nation, and has some interesting mechanics, though I do think the EIC Banker (along with the Khan and MoV) should be redone to be part of the UA applying to Great Merchants in general, and be given a UB or UI instead. The Mughals are pretty awesome though (I'd kinda prefer Shahjahanabad as the capital), and has some nice ideas in there.

Always in the background, never in trouble... Minecrafter Etho is Canadian too!

UA : +1 :c5gold: from every trapping ressources
UB : Carrousel. Replace circus. +50% experience earned from mounted units.
UU : Royal Cavalry. Replace regular cavalry. 30 :c5strength: and +1 :c5moves:.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other wonder that's in the game that doesn't belong to a main roster civ.

As mentioned before, Australia has the Sydney Opera House. Which makes me think that an Australia/Canada dual DLC pack would be awesome. Or even an Aborigine/Australia/Inuit/Canada quad civ pack if you wanted to be ambitious.

Out of all of the Big Four modern nations, Australia is honestly the one I expect happening the least. Argentina and Mexico have very nice cultural flavor to them and a rich history that could be represented nice, and Canada has a position that makes my Mega Manning via defensive pacts a very viable option. Australia's kind of a meh position. I do have an idea for a UA that could be nice that's mostly me applying independent UA ideas to a fitting enough civ. I think I'd call it something like Legacies of East and West, and it'd basically be the ability to adopt social policies in any order, including the openers. Basically it would represent how Australia's a very very modern nation founded in a unique position, with geographic influences from ancient, traditional cultures in Oceania merging with the ideals and viewpoints of far-off Europe, and from a gameplay perspective it's mostly for unique flexibility, allowing you to make use of various powerful spots on the trees without having to dedicate yourself to the whole thing. I imagine that picking Landed Elite and/or Monarchy right off the bat would be fairly attractive (though you'd have to adopt the opening policy to build the Hanging Gardens), or getting a free Settler/Worker practically instantly, or getting Miltary Tradition ASAP, or jumping right into a Reformation belief without needing to invest heavily in Piety. Dunno about the UU or UI/B, though given how I decided on making the Inuit represented by a Canadian Igluit UI, I think one of those slots would end up representing the Aborigines.

I think for a Canada civ they should make an RCMP UU and then an igloo or farm that can only be build on tundra and snow tiles. For the UA, i think that it should be focused on diplomacy and peace (probably based on defensive pacts)

I haven't bother reading through this whole thing but I have seen lots of people suggest different ideas for Australia and so far I have not liked most of them as they where either weird/uninteresting or historically/culturally incorrect.
So I am going to throw my hat into the ring.

Australia
leader: Sir Robert Menzies
starting bias near gems and sheep
colours: green and gold
symbol: southern cross (as appears as a constellation or on the national flag and not as it appears on the eureka flag)

for reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Menzies
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_symbols_of_Australia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crux

unique ability: Lucky Country
The first gems resource upgraded by Australia becomes the unique luxury resource of opals and has double quantity.
Upon entering the industrial era all mines with a luxury or strategic resource produce +5 gold

for reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining_in_Australia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_Country

unique unit: digger
icon: Slouch hat
replace great war infantry, slightly weaker, slightly cheaper.
can be upgraded from workers, fortify can be done with only one movement point and provides a 80% defence boost instead of 50%

for reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digger_(soldier)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slouch_hat

unique national wonder: eureka stockade
replaces national epic, instead of requiring philosophy requires printing press.
instead of requiring a monument in every city the city must be near a gold or silver mine.
instead of national epics regular effects gold and silver mines worked by this city provide +3 culture and receive 1 free social policy

for reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Rebellion

Yes, that is precisely the Canada I had laid out. AHEM

CANADA (O)

Leader - William Lyon Mackenzie King

Unique Ability - Multinationalism: Upon establishing a Defensive Pact and a Trade Route with another civilization, gain that civilization's Unique Ability, and pass on the ability to do the same to them.

Unique Unit - Mounted Police: Replaces Cavalry. Unlike the Cavalry, it reduces the :c5unhappy: Unhappiness of a city it is stationed in by 75% (but does not retain this upon upgrading).

Unique Improvement - Igluit: May only be built on Snow and tiles adjacent to it. Provides +1 :c5food: Food, :c5production: Production, :c5culture: Culture, and :c5faith: Faith to the nearest city. Does not require a :c5citizen: Citizen to be worked, and may be constructed in neutral territory. Available at Construction.

The Mounted Police is arguable though and might not work out, so an alternate UU:

Unique Unit - Devil's Brigade: Replaces the Marine. Unlike the Marine, it provides a boost of :c5culture: Culture, a :c5goldenage: Golden Age, and a global We Love The King Day upon liberating a city.

I do have an idea for a UA that could be nice that's mostly me applying independent UA ideas to a fitting enough civ. I think I'd call it something like Legacies of East and West, and it'd basically be the ability to adopt social policies in any order, including the openers. Basically it would represent how Australia's a very very modern nation founded in a unique position, with geographic influences from ancient, traditional cultures in Oceania merging with the ideals and viewpoints of far-off Europe, and from a gameplay perspective it's mostly for unique flexibility, allowing you to make use of various powerful spots on the trees without having to dedicate yourself to the whole thing. I imagine that picking Landed Elite and/or Monarchy right off the bat would be fairly attractive (though you'd have to adopt the opening policy to build the Hanging Gardens), or getting a free Settler/Worker practically instantly, or getting Miltary Tradition ASAP, or jumping right into a Reformation belief without needing to invest heavily in Piety.

As an Australian native, this actually sounds like an amazing way to represent the country. Combining Australia with Aboriginal units however does seems somewhat iffy.

Great idea though!

Why are Candians getting igloos as a UI? I personally think the Inuit and Canadians are too different to combine like the Danes and Norwegians.

Well, Norway WAS a part of Denmark but I agree with you. The Canadians and Inuits are nothing alike

I have ideas for civs

1.Serbia(Leader:Czar(title) Stephen Dusan
UU:Hajduk(give me ideas who should be replaced,i am thinking of Swordsmen)
UB:Fortress(replaces Walls,here is a possible look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tvrdjava_grad_nis.jpg)
UA:Rebel Power:Captured cities produce 4 Unhappiness to the civ that captured them

2.Papal States(Leader:pius IX)
UU:Swiss Guard
UB:Vatican Library(Replaces Library)
UA:Indulgence:You gain +9 Gold for every city that is converted to your religion

Tibet
Leader: Songtsän Gampo/Dalai Lama *Mountainous start bias*
UA Himalayan Plateau: Can move over and settle on mountain tiles, +1:c5faith: +1:c5production: +1:c5food: from mountain tiles as well as +25% :c5strength:city strength when founded on a mountain.
UB Gompa: Replaces Temple, Can house 2 great works of writing +2 :c5culture: and +50%:c5faith:
Upon discovering Archeology all great works in a city with a Gompa provide +1 extra tourism
UU Tibetan Monk: Replaces Missionary, can be faith purchased 50% cheaper than normal missionary/but/takes a 50% bigger attrition hit in foreign lands w/o open borders, can improve tiles and has the combat strength of the basic melee unit of the current era. Can be used to put farm improvements on mountain tiles.

The UA allows you to settle on mountains, giving you a good self defense buff while still being able to grow. And your UB temple replacement doesn't give out a base amount of faith, making it even more important to be near/or on a mountain or two. But the great thing (I think) about this is the UU. This saves you :c5production: that you would usually be spending on workers and melee units so you can focus on culture and religion. Also allowing you to build the farm improvement on a mountain gives you a fighting chance at actually growing a city to a decent size despite being on and around mountains. But the extra attrition stops you from being able to zerg these into another civs land with unlimited, cheap units. While also promoting a religion that is mostly centralized around your civ only until later eras.

I have ideas for civs

1.Serbia(Leader:Czar(title) Stephen Dusan
UU:Hajduk(give me ideas who should be replaced,i am thinking of Swordsmen)
UB:Fortress(replaces Walls,here is a possible look http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tvrdjava_grad_nis.jpg)
UA:Rebel Power:Captured cities produce 4 Unhappiness to the civ that captured them

2.Papal States(Leader:pius IX)
UU:Swiss Guard
UB:Vatican Library(Replaces Library)
UA:Indulgence:You gain +9 Gold for every city that is converted to your religion

First of all, you need to put some stats in for the units and buildings. Once you have that, make sure that the civs look playable and have a victory that they're good to go for (The second part isn't necessary, but it helps). On what you've got; Serbia's UA implies that they will be losing a lot of cities, which is too passive for my liking. The Papal States looks interesting, but it just looks as if the gold should be a one-off thing, while in my opinion, it should be GPT, but I'm not sure what you meant. Besides, I think that there is a very similar religious belief, so I'm not sure if that's a good UA to have (although that would be OP). The Swiss Guard can be a Pikeman replacement, if it helps.

Tibet
UA Himalayan Plateau: Can move over and settle on mountain tiles, +1:c5faith: +1:c5production: +1:c5food: from mountain tiles as well as +25% :c5strength:city strength when founded on a mountain.
UB Gompa: Replaces Temple, Can house 2 great works of writing +2 :c5culture: and +50%:c5faith:
Upon discovering Archeology all great works in a city with a Gompa provide +1 extra tourism
UU Tibetan Monk: Replaces Missionary, can be faith purchased 50% cheaper than normal missionary/but/takes a 50% bigger attrition hit in foreign lands w/o open borders, can improve tiles and has the combat strength of the basic melee unit of the current era. Can be used to put farm improvements on mountain tiles.

The UA allows you to settle on mountains, giving you a good self defense buff while still being able to grow. And your UB temple replacement doesn't give out a base amount of faith, making it even more important to be near/or on a mountain or two. But the great thing (I think) about this is the UU. This saves you :c5production: that you would usually be spending on workers and melee units so you can focus on culture and religion. Also allowing you to build the farm improvement on a mountain gives you a fighting chance at actually growing a city to a decent size despite being on and around mountains. But the extra attrition stops you from being able to zerg these into another civs land with unlimited, cheap units. While also promoting a religion that is mostly centralized around your civ only until later eras.

It seems to be mandatory to have a military UU, so following that rule, you can't have the Tibetan Monk. The UA seems fine, and for the UB, you might want to add a theming bonus, but maybe even one that gives out faith.

Tibet

These seem nice ideas but I see 2 problems. The first is as Viregel says, there is no military UU. The second is how do you take a city on a mountain as anyone other than Carthage? And even then it's not exactly easy.

Top Bottom