Civ 6's Art Style - Do You Like It?

Do you like Civ 6's art style?

• Yes - I like Civ 6's art style can be improved

• No - I think Civ 6's art style can be improved

Results are only viewable after voting.
What is wrong with it? Just a list of city state icons for city state opion screen.:confused:
In general, the UI for Civilization VI is pretty awful, and the city-state picker is a prime example of this. So much of the screen is wasted on open space, meanwhile the text is unnecessarily small in comparison, and the checkboxes are needlessly tiny as well. Every city-state could have been squeezed onto one screen if so much space hadn't been taken up by the boxes and description. I'd hate to be forced to navigate it without my glasses.

Started playing again recently after a while away. I've never liked civ6's look, it just feels too cartoony and childish. It's the cities, districts, and units in particular. I prefer a more realistic design and scale to things. I really loved civ5's design of the map. Same with the leaders. The only thing I don't mind in civ6 is the menus and UI, that's fine. Honestly graphics wise and looks wise, I think civ5 looks like the more recent game compared to civ6. I really hope they go back to a bit more realism with civ7.I kinda get why they did this more simplistic style, because it makes it easier for example to see the different districts. They do stand out more with the new style. But overall I think it detracts from the game.

For me it's the leaders. I absolutely cannot stand what they've done with Cleopatra.:cringe:

I absolutely cannot stand what they've done with Cleopatra.
Firaxis wanted to have their cake and to eat it, too. They wanted Cleopatra to lead Egypt...but they also wanted Egypt's leader to look Egyptian. So they decked out Cleopatra in Elizabeth Taylor Fantasy Egyptian clothes and what looks like an Ancient Egyptian football helmet because reasons. :p They should have just gone with Hatshepsut.

Personally, I like Civilization V's art style a LOT more than Civilization VI's art style. In my opinion, the only thing Civilization VI has going for it art-wise is the fact that it is generally more detailed than Civilization V (which should be expected considering the fact that it's the newer game).

Firaxis wanted to have their cake and to eat it, too. They wanted Cleopatra to lead Egypt...but they also wanted Egypt's leader to look Egyptian. So they decked out Cleopatra in Elizabeth Taylor Fantasy Egyptian clothes and what looks like an Ancient Egyptian football helmet because reasons. :p They should have just gone with Hatshepsut.
I mean, with kohl and sufficiently dark skin I suppose a Macedonian could look Egyptian. But I definitely agree they should have gone with Hatshepsut—she was one of Egypt’s best pharaohs, regardless of gender.

The puzzle is what will they do with Civ 7? If they keep the plasticene style, it will look like a modded Civ 6 instead of a new game. If they go back to a Civ 5 style it will look like a retrograde step. What else? Watercolours?
Some realism wouldn’t hurt. I hate the plastic blue menus and UI in Civ VI. And I hate the plastic policy cards. I didn’t mind their change of the original Great Person icon art though; the current Great Person menu art is quite nice and vaguely reminds me of Civ V’s aesthetic.

Moderator Action: The skin color issue has been beaten to death on these forums. Please do not start it again in this thread.

I think Civ 7 should go for the middle ground between 5 and 6. We saw those early sketches of the leaders that, while not ultra real, were much less cartoonish than the final product. I think that is the best option for the leaders. As to the art design of the world in which it all happens, that will depend to a large degree what they do with districts.

I cant be the only one that has to use the Civ 5 graphics mod. Its the only mod I use too but its so much better with it.

How about this as another angle. What about a Civ 7 that retreats a bit on graphics, but is great in the area of performance? The main thing holding me back from Old World simply replacing Civ 6 as my 4x of choice is that the performance for OW is lousy, whereas 6 is acceptable. I would be willing to see a great deal of graphics sacrificed to have a game that performs well on my laptop personally.

How about this as another angle. What about a Civ 7 that retreats a bit on graphics, but is great in the area of performance? The main thing holding me back from Old World simply replacing Civ 6 as my 4x of choice is that the performance for OW is lousy, whereas 6 is acceptable. I would be willing to see a great deal of graphics sacrificed to have a game that performs well on my laptop personally.

I'll meet you in the middle. I see no need for graphics and art to go backwards. They should at least stay static from 6 to 7. But I also would rather newer resources go towards the AI for higher levels.

Last edited:
The discussion seems to be mostly about the leaders, which I find almost offensive caricatures, especially Robert the Bruce. The only one who really looks like an actual human being is Peter. Suleiman seems to have been done by a different artist.

But it is the units and the landscape that you spend most of your time looking at. I find the units very disappointing compared to Civ V. Having two figures in a unit does not suggest a military force; one man and a dog even less so. What I do like though, is the combat animations - childish, I know.

For a while I was using the Civ V map skin - now I've reverted to the brighter Civ VI map - I really don't know which I prefer, but the mod that distinguishes different types of aforestation is essential.

The only one who really looks like an actual human being is Peter.
Teddy? Hojo? Poundmaker? Tomyris? Cyrus? They're all on the more realistic side of the spectrum, probably more so than Peter. I love the vibrant animations of Civ6's leaders, but I do really think they should have picked an art style and stuck with it. There is no coherent art direction among the leaders: Qin Shi Huang, Wilhelmina, and Gandhi are extremely caricaturized, Tomyris and Poundmaker are only very subtly stylized, and most leaders fall on a spectrum in between. They should have picked a style and stuck with it.

I love the vibrant animations of Civ6's leaders

100%!!
Whatever way they go, please keep the leaders as expressive as they are, on average.

that is one thing that is better than Civ 5 art. For all the "realisim" in civ 5... the leaders could feel a bit boring and lifeless.

On the other hand, none of the leaders in 6 are as evocative as, some of the ones in 5. Montezuma is genuinely intimidating in 5, and I love the snide reservedness of Augustus Caesar. I don't think any of the gesticulation that 6 seems to be so fond of accomplishes that.

But with that said I agree that in general the 5 leaders are boring compared to the 6 leaders.

Top Bottom