• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civ Accurate Maps

(A sidenote, Harald probably intruduced Christianity to Denmark, but the norse gods were probably used way longer. The word "Herren" sounds VERY Christian, did you mean to refer to god or Harald as the lord? If Harald, I'd prolly go with "I Jarlens år 970" or with "I Kongens år 970")
I intended to go "Very Christian" for this because of that reason. I hope it feels OK to you.

Skandinavien (As a Swede, and I'm sure our Danish/Norwegian brothers would agree, I'm not too keen on writing Scandinavia in the ocean. As it might imply that other surrounding states is included. This is a big no-no from OUR standpoint. The ocean is called Østersøen)
How big of a matter is this? I would prefer to use Scandinavia in the same way I've used Europe in the ocean, but of course it be a very simple matter to change it to Østersøen.

Would it perhaps be better if I used Northern Europe/Nordeuropa or even Fennoscandinavia?

Meanwhile, Isn't Europe "Europa" in the Scandinavian languages? (just making sure)

I intended to go "Very Christian" for this because of that reason. I hope it feels OK to you.
OK, just making sure of your intentions.

How big of a matter is this? I would prefer to use Scandinavia in the same way I've used Europe in the ocean, but of course it be a very simple matter to change it to Østersøen.
Would it perhaps be better if I used Northern Europe/Nordeuropa?
Meanwhile, Isn't Europe "Europa" in the Scandinavian languages? (just making sure)
I'd say it's a fairly big deal. Scandinavia is mostly used by ourself to talk about those things WE have incommon. Sometimes we don't even include the Norwegian islands in it.
"Norden"(The North/Nordic Countries) is used in a broader sence to include Iceland/Finland/Faeroes/(Baltic states). That could fit well in the Norwegian Sea(Norskehavet).

Fennoscandinavia is not something we say. Northern Europe/Nordeuropa could be used I guess, but it's not something we would refer ourself to.

Yes sorry, Europa it should be.

OK, just making sure of your intentions.

I'd say it's a fairly big deal. Scandinavia is mostly used by ourself to talk about those things WE have incommon. Sometimes we don't even include the Norwegian islands in it.
"Norden"(The North/Nordic Countries) is used in a broader sence to include Iceland/Finland/Faeroes/(Baltic states). That could fit well in the Norwegian Sea(Norskehavet).

Fennoscandinavia is not something we say. Northern Europe/Nordeuropa could be used I guess, but it's not something we would refer ourself to.

Yes sorry, Europa it should be.

Alright, thanks very much for your input! I'll be using Nordeuropa then, as I'm simply looking for an appropriate geographic label. Finished translating it. I'll be making a DOM screen and should have it up soon!

Added Korea, special thanks to Pouakai for providing the map and testing the mod.

The Korean is probably full of mistakes, so please correct me if you know Korean. (The text is read top, down, right, left and hopefully says "Korea during the Joseon Dynasty, 1392 to 1897".

Since during the Joseon dynasty, and even during Sejong's time, Hangul wasn't used as the primary form of writing, I suggest using a mix of hanja and hangul instead. Like in the far right column of this for example. With the hanja in large font and the corresponding hangul in a smaller font to the bottom right of each character.

Original: Korea during the Joseon Dynasty
Current: 조선 왕조 시대 한국
Suggestion: "朝鮮時代/조선시대" or "世宗大王時代의 朝鮮國/세종대왕시대의 조선국"
Meaning: "Joseon era" or "The country of Joseon during the era of Sejong the Great"

The term "한국" only refers to the Republic of Korea and didn't exist until after WWII.

Original: 1392 - 1897
Current: 천팔백구십칠 에 천삼백구십이 (You have this backwards here)
Suggestion: "千三百九十二年부터 千八百九十七年까지/천삼백구십이년부터 천팔백구십칠년까지"
Meaning: "From 1392 to 1897"

Though I think it would be best to just delete this portion since already using the word 時代/시대 makes it redundant.

Original: Korea
Current: 한국
Should be: 朝鮮國/조선국

And here's a list of all the hanja for other things on the map

黃海/황해
東海/동해
中國/중국
日本/일본
羅津/라진
鏡城/경성
咸興/함흥
義州/의주
平壤/평양
海州/해주
漢城/한성
江陵/강릉
淸州/청주
大邱/대구
光州/광주

Since during the Joseon dynasty, and even during Sejong's time, Hangul wasn't used as the primary form of writing, I suggest using a mix of hanja and hangul instead. Like in the far right column of this for example. With the hanja in large font and the corresponding hangul in a smaller font to the bottom right of each character.

Original: Korea during the Joseon Dynasty
Current: 조선 왕조 시대 한국
Suggestion: "朝鮮時代/조선시대" or "世宗大王時代의 朝鮮國/세종대왕시대의 조선국"
Meaning: "Joseon era" or "The country of Joseon during the era of Sejong the Great"

The term "한국" only refers to the Republic of Korea and didn't exist until after WWII.

Original: 1392 - 1897
Current: 천팔백구십칠 에 천삼백구십이 (You have this backwards here)
Suggestion: "千三百九十二年부터 千八百九十七年까지/천삼백구십이년부터 천팔백구십칠년까지"
Meaning: "From 1392 to 1897"

Though I think it would be best to just delete this portion since already using the word 時代/시대 makes it redundant.

Original: Korea
Current: 한국
Should be: 朝鮮國/조선국

And here's a list of all the hanja for other things on the map

黃海/황해
東海/동해
中國/중국
日本/일본
羅津/라진
鏡城/경성
咸興/함흥
義州/의주
平壤/평양
海州/해주
漢城/한성
江陵/강릉
淸州/청주
大邱/대구
光州/광주

Many thanks! I'll stick to just Hangul, a mix of Hangul and Hanzi would be probably look messy. I'll work on it when I have time.

Many thanks! I'll stick to just Hangul, a mix of Hangul and Hanzi would be probably look messy. I'll work on it when I have time.

Oh, if you stick with just hangul for the date I suggest using "1392년부터 1897년까지" either written horizontally or on the same line vertically, since writing out years in hangul is really long and almost never done

Oh, if you stick with just hangul for the date I suggest using "1392년부터 1897년까지" either written horizontally or on the same line vertically, since writing out years in hangul is really long and almost never done
Ah, in that case I'll stick with the Hanzi numbers for that. Thanks again!

Ah, in that case I'll stick with the Hanzi numbers for that. Thanks again!

No wait, the same thing applies to chinese letters too, and using them for the date would look even more strange if everything else was only hangul.

No wait, the same thing applies to chinese letters too, and using them for the date would look even more strange if everything else was only hangul.

So if I had: 千三百九十二년부터 千八百九十七년까지 , It would look weird?

I just noticed that on the Dutch map all the French speaking parts of Belgium kept there French/English names (since they don't have an English version of them) instead of the Dutch ones.
Since on all your other maps everything is translated in the original language I think these should be on it with there dutch names also.

So here they are:
Liege = Luik
Namur = Namen
Hainault = Henegouwen
Artois = Atrecht

Furthermore
It's Overijssel and not Overyssel
The ij combination is considered one letter in dutch as a replacement for y in the alphabet and because of that gets often translated into an y in the foreign press and books. Y is only used in loanwords like Yoghurt and a lot of original English words.

For the rest great job :)

I just noticed that on the Dutch map all the French speaking parts of Belgium kept there French/English names (since they don't have an English version of them) instead of the Dutch ones.
Since on all your other maps everything is translated in the original language I think these should be on it with there dutch names also.

So here they are:
Liege = Luik
Namur = Namen
Hainault = Henegouwen
Artois = Atrecht

Furthermore
It's Overijssel and not Overyssel
The ij combination is considered one letter in dutch as a replacement for y in the alphabet and because of that gets often translated into an y in the foreign press and books. Y is only used in loanwords like Yoghurt and a lot of original English words.

For the rest great job :)
Thanks for you help, I'll update accordingly.

I think you have done an Awesome job on these maps, but look at the German map, what is wrong with The Netherlands/Belgium? It doesn't look geographically accurate now does it? ;)

I think you have done an Awesome job on these maps, but look at the German map, what is wrong with The Netherlands/Belgium? It doesn't look geographically accurate now does it? ;)
Unfortunately, I don't have the skill/knowledge to correct that!

The ca. 1914 is important on the map. Occupied territories are considered part of Germany.

The ca. 1914 is important on the map. Occupied territories are considered part of Germany.

But the Netherlands are labeled "Belgium" on the map. Besides, the Netherlands were neutral and not occupied by Germany during the war. And Belgium plus northern France aren't shown as occupied.

Wow, this is an absolutely fantastic mod... I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate your work here sukritact. I've always played Civ games for the immersion and it's details like this that really enhance the whole experience. These maps will most likely be included in any and every game I play from here on out.

Thank you for all your efforts!

Top Bottom