Civ Accurate Maps

Oh ok
I'm not talking about the translation but the map itself, the frontiers make no sense

I suppose I could remake it. but anyway, I should finish BNW...

There's also this, and as it turns out, I translated everything into Swedish correctly on my first try!

Holy Crap! I'm Loving Sweden! I'd only suggest you darken the blue/play around with the levels a little.

Is Svenskat Rike right for "The Swedish Empire"? I don't speak Swedish, I just think that it would be slightly more accurate than Kingdom of Sweden, although the translation is correct, at least to my knowledge. Great work on the maps anyway!
"The Swedish Rike" would be "(Det) Svenska Riket". There's a more regular term though.

The suggestion and translation on the firaxis map is "Svenska Stormakten" which would translate to something like "The Great Swedish Power". The nation was still officially referred to as "Konungariket Sverige" as far as I know, though the particular period, starting under Gustav II's reign is called "Svenska stormaktstiden" (The era/time of Great Swedish Power).

I really just wanted to Sverige in there rather than Svenska for some odd reason. :lol:

"The Swedish Rike" would be "(Det) Svenska Riket". There's a more regular term though.

The suggestion and translation on the firaxis map is "Svenska Stormakten" which would translate to something like "The Great Swedish Power". The nation was still officially referred to as "Konungariket Sverige" as far as I know, though the particular period, starting under Gustav II's reign is called "Svenska stormaktstiden" (The era/time of Great Swedish Power).

I really just wanted to Sverige in there rather than Svenska for some odd reason. :lol:

"Sverige" sounds cooler anyway. :lol:

I've been listening too far too much Sabaton recently, so that may have confused me. According to Wiki, "Svenska stormaktstiden" is the translation for "Swedish Empire", so that's the last time I try to translate anything beyond my capabilities. (i.e. pretty much everything. Including English.) :p

A few bits of linguistic pedantry (sorry) regarding the Japan map:

1. Sapporo 札幌 didn't exist in the 1500s and its territory was not controlled by Japan. If the settlement did exist, it would be Ainu and have a different name.
2. If you are using the direct translation of years (e.g. 一五四五 rather than 千五百四十五 or the Gengou calendar, then it's best to add the character 年 (year) to the end of the year number e.g. 一五四五年.
3. 時代 refers to a longer time period than that of Oda Nobunaga's reign. 時 might be better.

Brave New World edition added! I'm using maps from my Brave New Maps mod though, since I don't quite like the official maps (plus they're hard to edit...). Indonesia should follow soon. I just realised I have a friend who speaks Bahasa (albeit of the Malay variety, but better than nothing)

Also added Sweden's alternate map (hooray för Sverige!)

@Homusubi: Will fix that when I've got the time, thanks!

Slightly sad to think that's correct Swedish, and not just an Englishisation (If that's a word). :p
I don't see why you should be sad (it's pronounced more like "Fur" anyway). Swedish is a Germanic Language, like English, and English itself has borrowed a lot from Viking raiders, that's why there are so many similar words...

Spoiler :
Wherefore/Varför
Therefore/Därför
Nay/Nej
Thou/Du (also Thee/Dig)
House/Hus
Also/Också
Again/Igen
Are/Är
To/Till
Under/Under
From/Från
Come/Kommer
Go/Går (albeit it means walk in Swedish)
Fish/Fisk
Saga/Saga
Here/Här
King/Kung
Snow/Snö
Welcome/Välkommen
Green/Grön
So/Så

I think I've made my point...

Personally I've always loved how the archaic (so much so that most English speakers don't know what it actually means, too many people think "Wherefore" is a form of "Where"...) "Wherefore art thou Romeo?" translates to "Varför är du Romeo?" in Modern Swedish.

Heck, I absolutely LOVE how the Old English "Siððan" (Since) is still visible in the Modern Swedish "Sedan".

I don't see why you should be sad (it's pronounced more like "Fur" anyway). Swedish is a Germanic Language, like English, and English itself has borrowed a lot from Viking raiders, that's why there are so many similar words...

Spoiler :

Wherefore/Varför
Therefore/Därför
Nay/Nej
Thou/Du (also Thee/Dig)
House/Hus
Also/Också
Again/Igen
Are/Är
To/Till
Under/Under
From/Från
Come/Kommer
Go/Går (albeit it means walk in Swedish)
Fish/Fisk
Saga/Saga
Here/Här
King/Kung
Snow/Snö
Welcome/Välkommen
Green/Grön

I think I've made my point...

I see what you mean, but it's pretty much like someone's just taken the English and added an accent. It's not like I'm ignorant of the similarities, as there are some even more similar words in Scots (bairn/barn/child, braw/bra/good), but it's sort of like you take "Snow" and change it to "Snöw" to Swedify it, or maybe "Snøw" for Norwiegan/Danish. Perhaps Polandball's getting to me. :p

Anyway, with the BNW maps (almost) done, what are you planning on doing next? I'd assume you need to finish Burma, but is there anything else that remains to be done in the world of cartography?

Edit: Put "Learn how to use archaic properly" on my things to do list. It sounds awesome when used properly.

Just "Snö", no "w" please. But honestly, you might as well be unhappy that "of" is written "de" in basically all the Romance Languages.

Anyway, with the BNW maps (almost) done, what are you planning on doing next? I'd assume you need to finish Burma, but is there anything else that remains to be done in the world of cartography?

Well, no. Not really, truth be told. I just have Burma, and mid-term exams...

Edit: Put "Learn how to use archaic properly" on my things to do list. It sounds awesome when used properly.
Sounds better than "Old" or "Ancient" doesn't it? Unfortunately I think I overuse it. :p

Definitely downloading and installing the bunch. Nice touch with the 中國 in Seal Script by the way! :goodjob:
Hi, I have seen your German map. Looks great! Will you use Fraktur in a future version?

But there is a slightly embarrassing inaccuracy in that map, which already existed in the original: the Benelux area is totally wrong. AFAIK, apart from the Eupen/Malmédy area (which was assigned to Belgium), neutral Moresnet and some negligible Dutch annexations after WW2 the Benelux borders haven't changed a lot throughout the 19th and 20th centuries after Belgium declared independence in 1830. In other words: the borders back then in 1914 were almost identical to the borders nowadays! So Luxemburg, Belgium and the Netherlands should all be there. Belgium and Luxemburg are depicted as parts of France, while the Netherlands are labeled as "Belgium". This is some massive inaccuracy there. Obviously Luxemburg is too small to be labeled, no offense: but "Niederlande" or the less PC "Holland" and "Belgien" should be included. Also, the Balkans look slightly off to me too: by 1914, Bosnia-Herzegovina had already been annexed by Austria-Hungary, and that should be reflected as well. I don't know how this could happen: accurate political maps of Europe on the eve of WW1 are quite readily available these days. This is probably as bad as the original inaccurate map of Casimir's Poland...

PS: I am not an expert in heraldry, but the arms of the Second Reich did look a bit different if I remember correctly- there should be only a Prussian Eagle in the shield. The arms used in the original have a slightly HRE/Hapsburg feel to them. Any graphics buff interested in fixing that?

Spoiler :

Oh, and on another note: the map of the IMPERIVM ROMANVM should have a city called "Syracvsae" in it, not "Syracvses". But that is really only a small issue, I think.

If you're referring to my translated map, I will not be fixing that; it would be much too much work, and besides which I've already made an alternate version.

I've based this version off this map; the Benelux countries are all there, but I've left them intentionally unlabeled for aesthetic reasons.

Good to know! I will now use this map as a default background for Germany. I like that it shows the borders of Prussia within the whole Reich, which is very apposite for Bismarck as a leader.

Top Bottom