Civ design challenge

@DudewiththeFood, I had something similar to the UB tested out and it was far from OP.

In terms of the production or extra culture? I know the culture seems like a big increase but I was looking at the Stele and that pretty much guarantees first (second with Celts) pantheon +religion. With only +1 yield in comparison, I'll be honest I was worried it might be underpowered which was why I added the production bonus.

Actually, both, in fact, now I'd say it's kinda underpowered due to the +1 maintanance cost, which is kind of huge in the early game.

I'd say I like it fine now, the maintenance might be a little unnecessary but it's not as terrible now you remind me of Ancien Regime.
Oh how I miss France being good... Used to be my favorite civ until BNW

The +1 maintenance won't count if there's +2 food surplus form the UA so once you've got a farm or two it shouldn't matter. By the time the city stops growing, you should have markets/banks and trade routes set up it shouldn't matter too much.

Edit: I don't mind it being underpowered because I've decided the Archer is OP if you geet a few upgraded and promoted to Logistics etc which isn't too difficult if you delay Construction. They're basically better versions of Slingers anyway. I'm gla dI went with archers and not a ranged Scout wuth that promotion because an all-terrain version would have been ridiculously OP..

Aren't slingers the aggressively nerfy anti-protection archers? Yeah though, I could see the archer being pretty ridiculous with logistics. Would it mean it could get 3 shots off?

Aren't slingers the aggressively nerfy anti-protection archers? Yeah though, I could see the archer being pretty ridiculous with logistics. Would it mean it could get 3 shots off?

It's bad for unit protection (but you can just abuse positioning or use a melee unit), and the best Composite Bowman for rushing by far.

However that would require it survived long enough either as an archer or as an upgraded archer to get logistics, meaning you'd have maybe 5 at most by crossbows or what have you.

Also, not a critique of the design but a question about the game's mechanics; I thought to use logistics your unit can't move? IE, you could shoot twice and move back OR move and shoot twice, taking into account the unit's ability. Better phrasing would be: I thought logistics required a point of movement to shoot the second time?

It does, you're right

However that would require it survived long enough either as an archer or as an upgraded archer to get logistics, meaning you'd have maybe 5 at most by crossbows or what have you.

Also, not a critique of the design but a question about the game's mechanics; I thought to use logistics your unit can't move? IE, you could shoot twice and move back OR move and shoot twice, taking into account the unit's ability. Better phrasing would be: I thought logistics required a point of movement to shoot the second time?

But if you get those 5, they possibly become the strongest units in the game - especially as Crossbows.

About logistics, normally you'd be right but the extra promotion I'm giving them is +1 move after shooting. So they could move, shoot, get the extra move, shoot again and then get another extra move.

Ah, I see, each shot would provide an additional point of movement. That's a very powerful unit then

Time to revive this old legend! Since it's been months without a single challenge, I feel it is in order for someone to provide one. I propose The Xiongnu.

Wouldn't doubt it.

I thought we were supposed to do civs that were obscure and didn't already exist... Hence why I propose the Nez Perce.

Not that I'm some kind of authority :p

Well, let's go with that Senshi! :D Much better option.

EDIT: My design if were going with the Nez Perce tribe.
Nimíipuu Tribe (Hinmatóowyalahtq̓it)
UA: Weyekins of Our Tribe -
For each Mountain inside of your borders gain +2 Culture :c5culture: and +5% more Production :c5production: in your city. When you have a mounted unit garrisoned in one of your cities gain +2 Culture :c5culture: and +3 City Defense :c5strength:.

UU: Nez Perce Warrior -
Replaces Spearman. Has +15% Strength :c5strength: when adjacent to friendly mounted units. When attacking a unit owned by a civilization with a lower Culture :c5culture: output, inflict +10% more Damage :c5war:.

UI: Camassia Field -
Unlocked at Calendar. Can only be built on featureless plain tiles. Provides +1 Culture :c5culture: and +1 Food :c5food:. When this tile is adjacent to a Pasture this yields +2 Culture :c5culture: instead.

Rip Elamite challenge, you will be ....missed?
Kinda detoriates peoples attention to reading everybody's design which is a shame, I'd vote for Keniisu's although the UU seems a bit occasional.
Anyway:

Nez Perce peoples
Chief Joseph

UA Simiakia
Gain settlers when civs with larger armies or more cities declare war on you based on discrepancy. Escaping enemies zone of control grants a small :c5culture: culture reward. Fishing boats may move along tiles with river increasing the :c5food: food yield by 2.

UB sacred mountain
Temple replacement that decreases culture cost for policies per each one built in the empire and allows the purchase of buildings in this city with :c5culture: culture. Has no base yields but grants a :c5faith: faithboost after a new :c5citizen: citizen is born.

UU non-treaty war leader
Great general replacement that allows double movement through hills for all adjecent units. At the outbreak of a defensive war this also generates :c5culture: culture for each unit moving that way.

This is in no way meant to convey that their culture was based on retreating, rather it is a bonus for doing so.

Top Bottom