[NFP] Community Monthly Challenge

Moving farther East, we find the "impregnable fortress" of Singapore (memorably overrun by Japanese on bicycles coming across the causeway); the crown colony of Hong Kong, and British Borneo (Bandar Brunei).

Spoiler :

Sun Never Sets- Far East.png

So that's it. Was hoping to get to 1921 as the calendar date, but it won't be practical. Science is now way too high, and besides the Chinese had tanks almost 50 years ago already (and are still 7 techs ahead of me!) Was hoping to build Oxford University and/or Big Ben in London, but they were long gone, so no point in continuing. As pointed out earlier, not possible to build Stonehenge in the UK on the TSL Huge Earth map.

Thanks to PiR for a memorable challenge, which required a lot of, um, elasticity, to pull off!

I really hate to have to say it but it looks like I won't have time to get in a submission this month. I tried to make it in time but I vastly underestimated how much time would get taken up by going on vacation, and trying to find a new job & doctor, and having family come visit. Hopefully I'll be able to take the next month, which I'll be hosting, to get any lingering timesucks dealt with so I can get back to making submissions. Really sorry again :(

Last edited:
Wow, man, that's fantastic! I ended up not having enough time to wrangle an ideal seed this month, but I'm glad I inspired such a winning submission.

Looks like it's about time to announce the next month's challenge!

Challenge for the Month of June

Objective: Reach the final stage of Climate Change in as few turns as possible!

Stipulations: This challenge must be done on Standard Speed and Disaster Level 4 with Standard Resources, and you may not artificially decrease the number of civs or city states you start with, though you may increase it. You can play on any map size & type you want, and can use the leader, city state, and natural wonder pickers. No unofficial mods except for purely aesthetic ones (ones which don't affect gameplay). All official game modes are allowed except for Apocalypse Mode.
edit: Also, Babylon is excluded as a playable civ, to maintain healthy competitiveness among civs. But they are fine to have as an AI player.

Additional Challenge: On top of the main challenge, you can choose to see how quickly you can completely reverse global carbon emissions through carbon recaptures after reaching the final stage. If you choose to also try this challenge, the amount of turns it takes you to bring global carbon emissions back down to zero will be shown next to your main score. Feel free to try this extra challenge if you want to, but if you're pressed for time, don't feel bad about passing on it.

As always, feel free to ask if there's any lingering questions. ^_^

Last edited:
Hello Aria! Exciting. Wondering if Babylon is allowed? In terms of strategy, it seems they would have an advantage with the fastest possible factories, right?

Hello Aria! Exciting. Wondering if Babylon is allowed? In terms of strategy, it seems they would have an advantage with the fastest possible factories, right?
That's a good point, I honestly forgot about that! Yeah, I'll update the OP to exclude Babylon. (Unless people would like a special Babylon tier in addition to the normal Prince-Immortal and Deity tiers?)

It’s your call. Just curious, can climate change actually be reversed? Or, do you mean lower carbon emissions to 0 using recapture?

It’s your call. Just curious, can climate change actually be reversed? Or, do you mean lower carbon emissions to 0 using recapture?
I meant reduce global carbon emissions to zero through recaptures - the phases can't actually be reversed. I'll update the OP for clarity. Sorry for the mistake!:cringe:

Buuuuut, can I put them as AI? I guess not?
AI Babylon is fine, as I don't think I've ever seen even AI Babylon contributing that greatly to CO2 emissions, at least not reliably fast enough that it should affect scores too much.
Though even if it does, we've had plenty of previous challenges where there's an obvious pick for a city state to include - so there's a precedent for something like that.
I'll update the OP again ^_^

Here is an attempt at the Community Challenge for June. I hit Climate Change Level VII on Turn 251. In the abstract, maxing out climate change in 1700 AD seems pretty fast, but I have no idea how this will look compared to other entries. I may try again playing as a different civilization or on a different map size.

Settings for this entry: Dual map size, Highlands, Deity difficulty, Disaster Intensity 4, Standard Speed, Standard Resources, Secret Societies and Heroes mode, playing as Canada. I figured I would hide in the tundra and mountains to try to avoid the worst of the sea level rises, wildfires, and droughts. For the most part, that seemed to work, although there were some devastating volcanic eruptions along the way.

Canada Global Warming Challenge.JPG

Last edited:
Been very busy, but taking a moment to plan. I thought about cramming in more opponents than usual, but would rather keep the standard number and hope the AI snowballs. I want the best science opponents: Babylon of course, but also Korea and the Maya. Who else has a really strong science game?

For me, I am unsure whom to pick, but Victoria is enticing, I don’t play as England much. Maybe Germany or Gaul for the IZs. Hmm. Will get back to y’all .

Inspired by the recent posts, I tried again, this time playing as Germany against some opponents with strong science bonuses. I did slightly better, hitting Climate Change Level VII on Turn 239. The Hansas were excellent for production in my cities, and I had a Coal Power Plant in every city I settled. Still, I think the improvement in this attempt might have been due more to increased use of military engineers to build railroads.

Settings for this entry: Tiny map size, Highlands, Deity difficulty, Disaster Intensity 4, Standard Speed, Standard Resources, Secret Societies and Heroes mode. Opponents were Babylon, Korea, and the Maya.

Federick Global Warming Challenge.JPG

Attachments

• Germany Climate Change.Civ6Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
Does the size of the map affect the CO2 quantities to go through each level? Like, a bigger planet requires higher amounts of CO2 of reach climate phase x?

So sayeth the Wiki:

upload_2021-6-10_18-39-57.png

Practically speaking, I think this means the per civilization amount of CO2 required to advance to each phase is the same. For example, a "Duel" map has 2 civilizations, so each civilization must produce 250,000 units (500,000/2). A "Small" map has 6 civilizations, so each civilization must still produce 250,000 units (1,500,000/6). A "Large" map has 10 civilizations, so each civilization must still produce 250,000 units (2,500,000/10).

I suppose on smaller maps, though, the human player would be able to exert an outsize influence on the amount of carbon as compared to larger maps. For example, the human player on the "Duel" map could more easily make up for one CO2 laggard than he or she could make up for six or seven CO2 laggards on a "Large" map.

Last edited:
Top Bottom