[BTS] CIV IV mods on Steam

manubebec

Chieftain
Hello guys!

I buy Civ Iv on Steam since my new computer can't read my install CD and my old one on which I used to play is dead.

The problem is I don't know how to install my favourites mods on that damned Steam stuff...

I downloaded files in "steamapps/ common/CIV IV Beyond the Sword/Beyond the sword/mods" which I was convinced was the thing to do, but when I launch the mod, the game is still vanilla version...

Please, help me! I wanna play Sengoku mod and Rhye's and Fall random and so many others!

I'd be eternally grateful to you if you help me pals! :)

(Note: This sub-forum is rarely visited now, but I saw the post out in the main forum menu)

Nothing wrong with Steam. It appears you placed the files in the correct folder - and good that you realized that there was an embedded BTS folder with the actual assets. Stupid question, but I have to ask, did you unzip the files?

Also, note that the basic Steam release with Civ IV and expansions contained some altered assets ( I think for play with Steam MP) However, a "beta" version exists that changes it back to the original. Some mods may have issues with non-beta version. Right click on BTS in your Steam Library > select Properties > select Betas tab > from the drop down select "original_release....". Your game will update.

In addition, I recommend the following which applies to Steam and non-steam versions:

1) Find the Steam executable > right-click on it > select Properties > Compatibility > check "run as administrator"

2) Do the same for the BTS executable

3) If on Win 10, try run the compatibility troubleshooter on the BTS executable (right-click context menu) and change to Win 7.

Thanks for your answer!
Files are unzipped... I'll try to do what you said, seems complicated for a donkey like me tough. :D

Is the "steam executable" the file "steam.exe"?

Yep

Another thing you might check is the folder structure of the mod itself. Unzipping can produce on extra folder layer if the wrong option is used, or maybe the modder packaged it up wrong.

So you might see something like Mods/Sengoku/Sengoku/Assets when what you need to see is Mods/Sengoku/Assets.

(Trying to think of things I’ve experienced. Actually the fixes mentioned in previous post more likely cause crashing/loading errors with mods. In your case the mod is simply not loading)

Last edited:
How do you get mods to work in multiplayer / LAN?

I used to be able to play History Rewritten / Caveman to Cosmos with my friend before we got the Steam version. Anyone know a work around?

How do you get mods to work in multiplayer / LAN?

I used to be able to play History Rewritten / Caveman to Cosmos with my friend before we got the Steam version. Anyone know a work around?

I don't play MP, at least I never have on the steam version. One thing I do recall with MP and mods, is that different assets can cause problems. So ya'll need to make sure both the version of BTS and the mods are identical asset wise.

For example, there are two versions of BTS on Steam. The regular Steam version and the beta "original_release_unsupported". (honestly, don't know which one is best for MP, but the beta was release for mods. If you are doing LAN games I suspect ya'll should be on the beta version if using mods) If any one of your group is running one or the other, then you will have different assets. Likewise, mods like C2C and HW, and the like, usually have versions out there from the past, as well as the current release. Make sure ya'll are all on the same release.

Otherwise, I would recommend everyone in your group perform some of the steps I outlined above.

Admin rights on BTS and Steam executables I've found is pretty important on WIN10.

I don't play MP, at least I never have on the steam version. One thing I do recall with MP and mods, is that different assets can cause problems. So ya'll need to make sure both the version of BTS and the mods are identical asset wise.

For example, there are two versions of BTS on Steam. The regular Steam version and the beta "original_release_unsupported". (honestly, don't know which one is best for MP, but the beta was release for mods. If you are doing LAN games I suspect ya'll should be on the beta version if using mods) If any one of your group is running one or the other, then you will have different assets. Likewise, mods like C2C and HW, and the like, usually have versions out there from the past, as well as the current release. Make sure ya'll are all on the same release.

Otherwise, I would recommend everyone in your group perform some of the steps I outlined above.

Admin rights on BTS and Steam executables I've found is pretty important on WIN10.

Thank you lymond for the follow up. I'm aware of Mod files needing to be the exact same and within the correct folder on SteamApps. We used to be able the play mods all the time on the pirated version of Civ IV BTS, but ever since we bought it on Steam, mods on multiplayer don't work anymore. Can never find out hosted games in the lobby, both in multiplayer and LAN. Mainly wanting to plan LAN.

I've seen talk about using the beta version on Steam, but I think we tried that and couldn't get it to work.

I'm just super bummed, cause playing History Rewritten, History in the Making, VIP, Caveman to Cosmos, etc were sooooo fun when we played LAN games. Playing vanilla Civ is just getting too boring lately.

Ha - well some of all that above is about getting the beta to work. Part Steam and part 10 issues.

Really though you should post over in the MP forum. - this is really not the place for this. I’m sure someone over there knows what to do about Steam MP. I just don’t.

Yep

Another thing you might check is the folder structure of the mod itself. Unzipping can produce on extra folder layer if the wrong option is used, or maybe the modder packaged it up wrong.

So you might see something like Mods/Sengoku/Sengoku/Assets when what you need to see is Mods/Sengoku/Assets.

Ah-HA! This solved it for me thx.

Top Bottom