Civ V - Beta 3

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

*There is no Civ V HOF Mod as of yet, so please play these games in the spirit of the Civ IV Hall of Fame Rules. Please review these before playing.

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Diplomatic (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emporer
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Inland Sea
  • Speed: Quick
  • Civ: Any, except Babylon
  • Opponents: Any, 7 opponents only, default option (8 civs in total), 16 City States only
  • Resources: Standard
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians, New Random Seed, Random Personalities
  • Date: 4th November to 4th December 2010

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

While each map can only be played once, players are more than welcome to generate new maps and submit multiple games. Also, as everyone is playing their own distinct maps, there is no need for spoiler limitation within the thread. In fact, we encourage detailed posting of strategy and gameplay.

To qualify for this gauntlet please complete your game and post both your 4000BC save and your turn after victory save in this thread.

Another test game to check out any potential exploits etc...

Decided to leave the leader as your choice for this, who is the best diplo choice and why??

1 Kamino 1040
2 Sumorex 1220
3 tommynt 1300
4 KingMorgan 1320
5 Harrumph 1470
6 t0b4cc0r04d 1580
7 slugster 1610
8 Igmod 1650
9 The Lock 1665
10 Rokklagið 1675
11 DJMGator13 1695
12 Lessa 1710
13 Sumorex 1740
14 Harvie 1750
15 Jacksup 1750
16 boehj 1795
17 Lemming 1795
18 sanabas 1825
19 hessians 1845
20 twilson1111 1854
21 elijahtary 1884
22 Krystalshield 1896
23 mkl9455 1900
24 kcd_swede 1913
25 kmtravis 1952

I'd prefer that DLC Civs not be used as either a Player Civ or an Opponent Civ due to the difficulty <impossibility> of loading such Games from the basic Standard Civilization V Game without DLC content.

I found it very frustrating to not be able to load the third place finisher's Save Game files from the Beta 1 Gauntlet, because it contained DLC Civ Babylon.

Sun Tzu Wu

So, is Babylon verboten? That's the civ I was planning on using for Beta Gauntlet 3.

So, is Babylon verboten? That's the civ I was planning on using for Beta Gauntlet 3.

I wouldn't exactly say the DLC Babylon Civ is forbidden until the organizers of this Gauntlet decide its forbidden and clearly state so. EDIT: I composed and sent this post before reading Methos' post above.

It is unfortunate and rather unfair that Deluxe Civilization V contains DFC Babylon Civ and the Standard Civilization V without DFC does not. It doesn't seem fair that Players with the Standard Civilization V should have to acquire the Deluxe Civilization V Game or gain access to the DFC Babylon Civ by other means just to play or load for study the results of other Player's Games (usually done after the Gauntlet). As you may be aware, no one with the Standard Civ V without DFC can load your Game Save files from the Beta 1 Gauntlet, because they contain Babylon as an Opponent.

I am sorry that you were planning to play as Babylon. However, do you really think it would be fair for you to play Babylon or even have Babylon as an Opponent when Players of the Standard Civ V Game without DFC can do neither?

Sun Tzu Wu

I agree that Babylon should be disallowed, but for completely different reasons. I'm of the opinion that it is one of the most unbalanced civs for any non-domination victory.

If not Babylon, then I'll probably run with Greece or China. The Greeks have the excellent Companion Cavalry and the CS bonuses, but China has the Paper Makers and the GG Bonus.

My first attempt I went with Catherine, as I was hoping the additional horses would help with a quick rush. The problem was that I didn't have any horses anywhere near me. I restarted the next game with Greece for their UA, but due to some bad luck and the realization I had no plan, I stopped playing that one.

I still haven't decided on whether I should start with a quick rush and then work on research, or whether to immediately start beelining and start the rush around turn 100, like you all did in Beta 1.

My first attempt I went with Catherine, as I was hoping the additional horses would help with a quick rush. The problem was that I didn't have any horses anywhere near me. I restarted the next game with Greece for their UA, but due to some bad luck and the realization I had no plan, I stopped playing that one.

I still haven't decided on whether I should start with a quick rush and then work on research, or whether to immediately start beelining and start the rush around turn 100, like you all did in Beta 1.

Depends on the overall strategy. Me, I'm gonna beeline for Writing and GL and try to slingshot Education. I'm going to go China because I feel this game will end up being a money game and those paper makers are just really nice. Also, the Chinese appear to be culturally biased to start on a large river.

The thing to remember is that Quick game settings favor the defender. Production is at a higher ratio than movement, so often if you charge towards an AI they can shift their production and pump out some quick units making it much harder to take a city. I'm going to hold off on the rush till turn 60-70 and go with Horseman rush. I think a warrior rush would take too long to arrive at the AI cities to be effective.

OK, have updated the first post to say that Babylon is not allowed for this gauntlet.

Perhaps, all DFC Civs should be banned? Or is there a good reason to ban only Babylon?

Sun Tzu Wu

Babylon is the only one that costs money. The Mongols are free, so...

turn 190, 1825 as Greece. Wasn't quite as straightforward as I expected. Got off to a very slow start, tried to build both G Lib and Oracle, and missed out on both. Don't think I ever had a Hoplite, warrior upgrade would have been nice, but only popped a couple of ruins. 3 warriors took one CS, went to war with companion cavalry, but the CS were already too tough to take, and the AI build speed made it a far from one sided war. Ended up only conquering the americans over the course of two wars, while building a few of my own cities. Had AI declare on me on a regular basis, at one point I had England, Arabia and their 6 combined CS allies against me, I was worried I wouldn't be able to get enough votes. But as their influence dropped below ally status, I could make peace with that CS, and 1000 gold was good for 130 influence, enough to go straight to allies. So it ended up being just a case of keep the economy at ~300 gpt, and buy a CS each time I hit 1000 gold and one was available. Had the 2 free tech policy, 2 scientists and an engineer saved up, so that was good for the last 4 techs free and a 2-turn UN build as soon as I was in range. Ended up with 13 votes, 3 more than needed.

Great Wall is definitely fixed, as America had it and it was a pain.

Attachments

• diplogaunt1turn1.Civ5Save
    284.3 KB · Views: 51
  • diplogaunt1turn190.Civ5Save
    700.2 KB · Views: 62
I've started a game yesterday with greeks. Beelined to Acoustics with GL, saved policies for patronage path, build 1 city for horses and pumped out companion cavalries. Idea is to take 4 cavalries to the one side and 4 to the other side. Want to puppetize most of the continent, rushing tradeposts for massive gold and ally with every CS.
I'm not sure, if this will all work. Have saved right before the first war :)

Top Bottom