Civ V Release Livestream

Scramble

Warlord
I can't help but feel really bad for all you poor people who need to wait until the 24th for Civ5 Release... I can barely make it until the 21st!

With the increasing prevalence of Internet Livestreams, I have decided to take part. I am currently trying to figure out how to livestream my comp, so I can let you guys watch my games for the first little while of release. This will probably be boring as hell and I will embarrass myself with my godawful play... but I figure, meh...
I know it is early to announce this, but hopefully it works out nicely for the three days.

My livestream will take place at

http://www.livestream.com/thrasymachus

My schedule will be (all times PST (GMT-8)):
Pre-release day:
Some random streams of other games, cartoons, and random forum browsing. Will be chatting in the channel whenever I am live, and trying to figure out how the programs work... If anyone comes onto the channel and gives me feedback in the meantime it would be appreciated.
Teusday:
(6:30am) Alarm goes off. I drag myself out of bed, go live, make a coffee.
(7:00am) Slam the play button... install/download anything I need to and immediately start Civ5. If there is a release day patch, I will get that, I suppose, but hey, we will see what happens.
First thing I look at will be Babylon bonuses and take suggestions for what information to look at in the game. But for the most part I will start a game right away. For 3 hours, I will take suggestions for things to do, try and look at. Have questions ready. Remember there may be technical issues, patches, comp problems... stuff out of control.
(10:00am) I need to go to class... I may try and put it off as long as possible and show up late, but I really need to go. Because of that, I will either put on some cartoons, or go offline for a short time.
(12:30pm-1pm) I return home. I play for hours and hours and hours, breaking only to make coffee and basic survival instincts.
(3:00pm) Brother gets off work. We attempt to start up a Multiplayer game and have a shot at that. You are all free to watch, but suggestions will be for the most part closed. I am playing to pwn my brother :p

From there, I will need to have a short break to sleep, then wake up early on wednesday, I have long classes for 8 hours on wednesday, so sadly that won't be a good day, but every moment I have away from classes, I will be livestreaming.

I will be taking occasional chat suggestions, but most of my decisions will be my own :p Sorry guys, it's my game!

Keep in mind a few things: My comp is significantly below recommended system specs. It is well above minimum however, so I should be able to run it just fine. However graphic settings will be low, and technology could even make it not run at all! That would suck...
I will not stream the Firaxis behind the Scenes video, since it is deluxe edition only, and probably illegal.
I will dig for info, gladly discuss strategies and other such stuff as much as I possibly can. I would love to chat with you guys all I can, and I will try and find a way to set up my mic to work so you guys can hear me talk.

UPDATE: Got some help, so the livestream should be working properly on release day. I will bump this thread a few times before then so as to get a good audience. I don't know if there is a maximum number of people on my channel, but I hope not.

I have the Deluxe Edition. Post questions here for now, and I will take them on my livestream while playing.

My Computer Specs according to: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com

CPU
Minimum: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz
You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
PASS

CPU Speed
Minimum: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz
You Have: 2.40 GHz
PASS

RAM
Minimum: 2 GB
You Have: 2.0 GB
PASS

OS
Minimum: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
You Have: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
PASS

Video Card
Minimum: 256 MB ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT or better, 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
You Have: GeForce 8600 GTS
PASS
Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Video RAM 256 MB 256.0 MB
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 3.0 3.0
Vertex Shader version 3.0 3.0

DirectX version
Minimum: DirectX® 9.0c
You Have: 9.0c
PASS

Sound Card
Minimum: Yes
You Have: SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio
PASS

Free Disk Space
Minimum: 8 GB Free
You Have: 123.7 GB
PASS

I will update this thread as needed.

The 24th?

But for me STEAM says its being released on the 23rd?!!

At the game's STEAM store page, it clearly says: Release Date: 23 Sep 2010.

Or at least it does for me anyways, I live in Iceland.

For me it says "will be released in 6 days and 2 hours", which seems to be the 24. for me but the 23. for you. ;)

And of course many thanks to the threat opener. Will most probably check it out! :)

Attachments

• Steam.jpg
    Steam.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 216
Probably is, but I dunno, I figured I would offer this anyway. Some people's comps may not run it, or people may want to see how it plays on low settings or they may want to know about babylon. It is an optional service after all :p

Probably is, but I dunno, I figured I would offer this anyway. Some people's comps may not run it, or people may want to see how it plays on low settings or they may want to know about babylon. It is an optional service after all :p

Not to forget the multiplayer part. Doubt it will be available in the demo.

Oh I wasn't trying to be negative. I was just pointing out that Europeans can at least start playing a limited version of the game until the 24th.

I think livestreams in general are always a great idea.

Thanks Hamil :) Helped a ton
I will be working to try and find things for yall to watch till then.

The 24th?

But for me STEAM says its being released on the 23rd?!!

At the game's STEAM store page, it clearly says: Release Date: 23 Sep 2010.

Or at least it does for me anyways, I live in Iceland.

Timezone thing? Like maybe it's midnight GMT, so if you're an hour or two ahead?

For me it will unlock on the 24th at 1 o clock (am). And im GMT+1. So you will probably be able to play 2 hours earlier... at least if you look at the clock. For real we are going to start playing at the same moment. ;)

Those poor people can play the demo.

Which, I think, is probably better than watching a livestream.

I doubt I will bother downloading the demo when I can just pre-load Civ 5 right after the weekend (I don't have access to the internet right now) and then play the full thing less then 2-3 days after the release of the demo. Its not like a extra 2-3 days of waiting are going to kill me.

Timezone thing? Like maybe it's midnight GMT, so if you're an hour or two ahead?

Yea, I am guessing that different timezones are probably the reason.

And that means I can start playing Civ 5 earlier then the rest of you! Who hoo! :D

But then again since I will probably only get the game a few hours earlier I will probably have to go to bed shorty after being able to play it to avoid falling asleep during my collage classes the day after. Boooooooooo! :(

i have bookmarked your link
i still cant see why they release europe after the north american nations. why not let me play???

so yes, maybe ill check it out, depends on how much you can do in the demo. if the demo is fun than you wont see me there:p otherwise ill be looking whenever there is a livestream (my school startes at oktober 4th and I have no life so i'll have all the time to do that:p)

Well, I will be playing the demo come the 21'st but depending how much it contains will vary the length I play for, so I may well see that live stream of yours for some more full gameplay showing, but if you were to do this, then I would suggest letting people contact you via Steam friends, perhaps have a group chat open, instead of relying on some rubbish software like the last two live gameplay sessions we have had lol, and instead of buggering about explaining obvious and annoying things that we have seen mentioned a billion times, you show us some dammed gameplay lol, and you can take suggestions from the chat about strategies and what not so we can be involved in the gameplay, perhaps.

Anyway, good luck. :).

Actually if you are going to go to the trouble of streaming make sure there is a chat function and you can have the viewers help with game strategy. You may learn a few things and it would be interactive.

Top Bottom