Civ V Release Livestream

Expect a 10 GB zero-day patch or your time table is going to get screwed by Murphy.

OP Updated

With stuff including my system specs for all those who want to know
My Computer Specs according to: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com

CPU
Minimum: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz
You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
PASS

CPU Speed
Minimum: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz
You Have: 2.40 GHz
PASS

RAM
Minimum: 2 GB
You Have: 2.0 GB
PASS

OS
Minimum: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
You Have: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
PASS

Video Card
Minimum: 256 MB ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT or better, 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
You Have: GeForce 8600 GTS
PASS
Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
Required You Have
Video RAM 256 MB 256.0 MB
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 3.0 3.0
Vertex Shader version 3.0 3.0

DirectX version
Minimum: DirectX® 9.0c
You Have: 9.0c
PASS

Sound Card
Minimum: Yes
You Have: SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio
PASS

Free Disk Space
Minimum: 8 GB Free
You Have: 123.7 GB
PASS

I will bump this thread a couple more times up to and including release day.

Honestly with your computer, I don't see how your going to run it.

Well I am above the minimum requirements... May not be recommended, but we will see how scalable it is, since they seem to like to throw that around. If I can't run it, that would suck a ton, but I'll head out to the store this weekend and pick up some stuff if I need to.
I should be able to run it, but certainly not on full settings.

Well I am above the minimum requirements... May not be recommended, but we will see how scalable it is, since they seem to like to throw that around. If I can't run it, that would suck a ton, but I'll head out to the store this weekend and pick up some stuff if I need to.
I should be able to run it, but certainly not on full settings.

Can your motherboard support 4GB? That would probably be the cheapest performance upgrade.

I am not sure... I haven't cracked my computer in a long time. The motherboard was insanely advanced when I first got it (many years ago) so it is certainly possible... I plan on getting more RAM soon, but since I blew all my luxury budget (i am a college student living 100% off loans) on CiV I had to put it off. If Civ runs incredibly poorly, I may just need to go over budget...

Yeah I am kinda worried about that too. My preferred games are Huge Marathon maps. Ah well, I suppose I can settle with smaller games until my couch cushion change builds up enough to get some upgrades... or until Christmas.

If I "finally" do this? lol game isn't out yet!
No worries, I will definitely do it when the time comes!

If I "finally" do this? lol game isn't out yet!
No worries, I will definitely do it when the time comes!

Well, if you run into any trouble with the streaming, having civ5 in your hands, Im pretty sure you will just play and not spend the evening figuring out how to broadcast it ^^

Well, if you run into any trouble with the streaming, having civ5 in your hands, Im pretty sure you will just play and not spend the evening figuring out how to broadcast it ^^

That will certainly be the temptation :p
Howbout this:
Between 6:30am and 10am, I will devote entirely to my livestream audience. This means suggestions, perfecting my stream, digging up Babylon, trying various map stuff and settings and whatnot.
But we all know how technology works... odds are, SOMETHING will go wrong no matter how well I prepare.

How many users does Livestream allow to view the channel?

I have seen channels that have anywhere from 10 - 50 - 5000... so really i dunno how much mine allows... hopefully a good chunk :S

It looks like your comp meets the minimum requirements, but keep in mind that the streaming process itself takes a further pounding on your cpu and video card.

Streaming isn't so bad on the comp and mostly tests my internet connection. What pounds on the computer most is the use of a webcam but especially RECORDING the live footage. I am not recording anything and not using a webcam, it is 100% live with no recording whatsoever, so my comp should be ok. Of course this remains to be seen.
I just tested my stream, and it takes 50 users. I have submitted my application to increase this to 1000 (not that i expect to get that high, but still), and hopefully it will be reviewed by tomorrow.

I just tested my stream, and it takes 50 users. I have submitted my application to increase this to 1000 (not that i expect to get that high, but still), and hopefully it will be reviewed by tomorrow.

I wish you luck with your livestream application. From what I recall when I tried to get my application approved they told me that I did not have enough pre-recorded videos on my account, nor enough users interested in my livestream for them to approve my application.

Still, 50 is better than 2, people will just have to take turns or make the rounds of anybody else that is livestreaming their game. I had plans to do a livestream myself but I don't like people laughing at my incompetence at playing Civ games.:lol:

Still, 50 is better than 2, people will just have to take turns or make the rounds of anybody else that is livestreaming their game. I had plans to do a livestream myself but I don't like people laughing at my incompetence at playing Civ games.:lol:

Someone could stream himself while he is watching his stream.

And the product of that we will call "Simultaneous Turns" :D

Funny. The first time that I tried livestream, it reminded me of an old house in the desert where I grew up where the walls were mirrors and you would see the reflection over and over and over again, then in livestream I could see my desktop in my stream which was a browser window that was watching my own stream and mirrored continuously in the stream until it was too small to note what it was anymore.

Top Bottom