Civ2 Classic Deity+5 Victory

Thanks for the reminder Prof. G.
I had forgotten about that; been too busy working on your old "team game".
I have downloaded most of the files up to the mid-1500s, along with all the comments from the players.
Over the weekend I'll start the game afresh, in my type of game, and only interfere whenever I wish to try something. I'll then go back and continue as normal. I'm sure I shall learn plenty from the exercise.
One other question to follow this post. :thumbsup:

It was only through my grandsons that I started playing Civ2 in the 1990. I think the original was on the Amiga system?
Anyway, this original Microprose version for the PC is the one I have at present. The grandsons are now into Civ6, or whatever is the latest.
After "Test of Time" I felt that, apart from the great graphics, it had lost the thread of what Sid Meiers had in mind.
Although I have here with me the manual etc. for TOT and "Call to Power", the discs must be with the grandsons. I remember in the past enjoying the map editors that came with some of the versions and thought that Civ2 also has this capability, but it is not on the disc that I have. I have downloaded a map editor from here on CivFanatics to try, and would appreciate any tips about this that you may have. ;)

There is a file in Civ 2 main folder, called Game.txt.
Within this file, look for a section labelled @DIFFICULTY:

@DIFFICULTY
@width=320
@title=Select Difficulty Level
@options
Chieftain (easiest)
Warlord
Prince
King
Emperor
Deity (toughest)
D+1
D+2
D+3

Just add extra lines after Deity, like in the example above.
Save the file, run the game, select the new difficulty, then go crazy when you see all the unhappiness and AI production bonuses.

Thanks a lot, Blasph23
I had watched the Prof's video, but now I may give it a try.:cool:
Btw, I use Voltaire as my leader when I play as the French. ;)

Thanks a lot, Blasph23
I had watched the Prof's video, but now I may give it a try.:cool:
Btw, I use Voltaire as my leader when I play as the French. ;)
I see this works for TOT in the game folder obviously but are the effect in game the same? when I create a city on deity +5 I still have a normal content citizen in the capital

But since you don't need lux in Fundamentalism you can maybe make up for the halved research rate by moving all the luxuries into science. I could be wrong but this is what I'm thinking.

The production bonus you speak of, I guess that is the reduced production cost, observed already at King level and probably reduced for each level beyond King. They don't get a shield bonus (higher production) as well on Deity+5? I see at King level that their cost is reduced by 20%. Something that takes me 100 shields to complete (10x10), only takes the AI 80 shields. Each line of shields in the production box is 8 shields wide, and 8x10 shields is 80.
And their food box is only 8 lines deep, my food box is 10 lines. I think each line of food is equal for AI and human.

But I do understand that the more cities I have, the more unhappiness I get. But is this formula equal for all types of government? Do some governments allow a larger number of cities before unhappiness increase? (Except Fundamentalism of course.)
A few of my notes basic version of the game Civ2
You will not be able to compensate for a decrease in science by increasing the science slider much higher, since with fundamentalism there is a parameter called
5 ; Max effective science rate in fundamentalism (x10, so 5 = 50%) (min 0 max 10)
This parameter will not allow you to really increase investments in science above 50%; everything that is invested in excess of this will be converted into taxes. Thus, players sometimes do not notice this and do not understand where they get such large tax profits. In addition, taxes increase due to the conversion of the costs of maintaining churches, cathedrals, etc. into profit. This profit contributes to the base commerce of the city, before the effects of the market, bank, etc. are added. Thus, the total profit under fundamentalism is simply incredible (in my opinion this is too much)
I note that the mechanism for using fundamentalism in AI is slightly different. So the developers implicitly transferred the entire percentage of luxury that AI allocates to science. This helps the AI not fall so far behind in scientific developments and also bypasses the limitation of 50% of the maximum investment in science

As for production bonuses, in addition to those that you noticed (reduction of the city’s production field depending on the difficulty level), the AI receives boosts from converting coins in the treasury into production. As far as I remember, this does not depend on the level of difficulty, but only on the size of the treasury. As soon as the treasury exceeds about 2000 coins, conversion begins. Approximately the formula for this treasury size is divided by 512. The resulting value is added to the production of any AI city. It doesn’t matter whether the city is on strike or not, the resulting value will be added. Considering that the AI does not pay for the maintenance of buildings and will have good profits under fundamentalism, very soon it can boost production so much that it is very easy to begin to dominate the amount of production. In versions of the game where the treasury limit has been removed, this AI boost can be very impressive.

The scientific achievements of AI and humans in the game are initially different, and somewhere at the first two levels of complexity the cost of technology is lower for humans, then at the last two levels, the cost of technology is already reduced for AI, and for humans, on the contrary, it is increased

Regarding the types of governments and the number of cities, I didn’t notice such a connection, but perhaps I simply didn’t see it

And one last thing about difficulty levels. In the base game there are a lot of checks within the game for values from 0 to 5, where each level is the difficulty. Therefore, it will not be possible to increase levels without modifying the game. Simply adding lines to a text file, of course, will not add real complexity

Top Bottom