Civ3 PBEM

gbno1fan

Emperor
I have finished designing the map, set up the game, and sent the first official save to Denyd. I hope you like it.

Here is the turn order:
1. Greekguy - China - atlanticclocks18 AT gmail DOT com
2. Chamnix - Carthage - chamnix AT hotmail DOT com
3. Denyd - Iroquis - deny_derosier AT yahoo DOT com
4. Calis - Celts - f.walterfang AT gmx.de

Send me a copy of the save as well. gbno1fan AT gmail DOT com

Please note that you all start with a scout to make exploration a little faster and to increase diplomacy.

For spoilers, how do you all feel about me maintaining a spoiler thread for you? I can take screenshots of each player's world every few turns and if you have something you want to put in the spoiler (declarations of war, research plans, etc) you can send them to me and they will be included. Otherwise, you can all open your own spoiler threads like the other games have done.

I don't know if it is too late to do anything about this without a lot of work, but I wonder if the play order could be improved.

Denyd - CA, USA
Chamnix - NJ, USA
Calis - Germany
Greekguy - NJ, USA

It may not matter depending on what time of day people typically play, but I thought I'd bring it up now before it was definitely too late...

Good catch.

Since I forgot to put the difficulty level on Monarch, I'll change this as well.

I normally play between 8pm-12pm nightly, I should probably pass to Calis.

Also would it be an issue to post which tribe we each ended up with, so a little pre-planning (dog pile on Persia) can be accomplished.

Okay, now I have sent the first official turn to Greekguy.

I also set the difficulty level for each player to Monarch in the biq file through the editor, but for some reason it is displaying Regent at the beginning of the turns. Since I have to go to school now, if any of you know of why this is happening and want me to change it, it will have to wait until tomorrow. Otherwise, just go ahead and play it.

I'll update the first post of this thread shortly with the new turn order and civs.

Thanks, gbno1fan!

Anything unusual we should know about? X/Y wrap, SoZ modifications, etc.?

The map wraps on the X-axis, but not the Y.

I didn't modify any aspects of the game other than giving you all a scout.

As this is my first PBEM game, is there a check list of things to do each turn so that I don't screw it up for the next guy?

I remember reading not to use auto-move and to keep the wait at end of turn set to yes. Are there any other guidelines/rules about grid-lines, trade deals, how to save, etc to be aware of?

Also is this the thread we should be posting our passed to xxx in?

The most important thing I learned in my first PBEM is not to save via CTRL-S or the main menu. End your turn as you would a single player game (press space or enter) - the game will then automatically prompt you to save. We will all follow the same naming convention (whatever gbno1fan has started for us).

This thread has some general rules - a lot of what is listed there is stuff most people probably never even would have thought of to do.

Go to/automove is generally a bad idea. Grid-lines are irrelevant. Don't load the save zoomed out. No talking about the game to anyone in the game until you have met in game :crazyeye:.

The diplo box may look odd the first time you see it - you will not see anything on your opponent's side of the table at first (i.e. you can't see what techs or how much gold your opponent has). No deal is finalized unless both players "accept" the same trade (you'll understand more once you see the trade table). Generally trades are discussed and agreed to via email/PMs - bargaining in game is too tedious.

I think this thread should be our turn tracker thread.

Thanks - I'll do a little reading before turn 1

As a far ahead posting, I'll be on vacation without game access June 9-19.

We'll need to discuss what my options are for those days.

GPS to Chamnix. I assume his civ choice is a handicap to help the rest of us. :mischief:
Thanks - I'll do a little reading before turn 1

As a far ahead posting, I'll be on vacation without game access June 9-19.

We'll need to discuss what my options are for those days.

Either we don't play for the time that you're away (more likely option) or you get someone else, in RL or on CFC, to play the turns for you when you're away.

GPS to Chamnix. I assume his civ choice is a handicap to help the rest of us.

His civ choice was random. Carthage is what came up when I set up the game the first time.

I do find it interesting that denyd was concerned about AGR civs and then no one ended up with one.

Celts & Iroquois are both AGR - Carthage is a great choice if Ivory is nearby as he'll have no contest getting SoZ. Of course he has to have Ivory for that to work.

Oops. That's what I get for trusting the outdated "Info Center" instead of my own experience. (I don't trust my memory enough, apparently)

GPS to Calis

Since we're asking questions, it looked like SGL's are turned on. Anyone want to discuss not using them (they are quite unbalancing).

are there barbs? And if yes, restless, raging...?
Barbs are set to sedentary - one person requested this, and no one requested otherwise.

Top Bottom