Civ4 Beyond the Sword Patch v3.17 is out

True. I think the stealth destroyer should just be an advanced version of a destroyer.

And I think otherwise.
Having fleet of "stealth destroyers" just seems weird. That's same as saying that all modern infantry should be marines, as "advanced" version of infantry.

P.S.
Would have no problem with having advanced destroyer, so long it's not called stealth destroyer.

P.P.S.
From gameplay perspective, having two unique units with different roles seems more interesting, then "one unit matches all" concept.

BUG adds attitude icons (happy/angry face) next to the numbers, just as it does in the scoreboard, to visually show the attitude of the civs toward each other. It also adds a fist to show civs at war. What else would you like to see added?

My current plan is to add icons for civs that could be bribed to stop trading, declare war, or sign peace. Any other ideas?

hmmm... haven't tried BUG mod yet, but thanks for the shout. in my experience the present glance screen (after unlocking it) seems pretty crowded while playing with +18 civs...

i haven't install the last patch yet, cos i am finishing a game in 34civs mod, but i'll give it a try in my next game... thx in advance to solver and bhuric for taking care about the bugs. :goodjob:

And I think otherwise.
Having fleet of "stealth destroyers" just seems weird. That's same as saying that all modern infantry should be marines, as "advanced" version of infantry.

P.S.
Would have no problem with having advanced destroyer, so long it's not called stealth destroyer.

P.P.S.
From gameplay perspective, having two unique units with different roles seems more interesting, then "one unit matches all" concept.

Well, I partially agree with that. For the next decades most ships will just be "advanced ships" but say in 30 years "stealth ships" might be the norm and ships built without stealth features will be rare. But even today most ships being built including the new american cruisers on the design board have at least some stealthy characteristics.

Larger classes like cruisers is by nature harder to build stealthy. Just because a navy start adding stealth features on their new ships doesn´t mean they scrap the anti-submarine or anti-air capabilites. It´s mainly a passive feature so the ships can conduct what-ever actions with a lower chance of detection (a stealth ship firing it´s gun or missiles 1 km from the coast in clear weather isn´t very stealthy). Look at the Visby-class corvette. It´s an evolution of earlier Swedish ships. So what we basicly have in Sweden now is a "fleet of stealth ships" (the older types are being retired soon). A ship built with stealth features costs a lot more so the loss of it isn´t as easily replaced, that´s why I think they should keep ordinary destroyers a bit longer in the game so players can chose what to build.

I would be great though if you could really design the equiment and training of your units and make your militay force really unique like the "one mathes all". And combine that with the abillity to sell (and buy) military equipment to friendy and allied civilizations in exchange of natural resources when you have discovered corporation just like in the real world and not just drop some infantry by their border and give them as a present.

I would be great though if you could really design the equiment and training of your units and make your militay force really unique like the "one mathes all". And combine that with the abillity to sell (and buy) military equipment to friendy and allied civilizations in exchange of natural resources when you have discovered corporation just like in the real world and not just drop some infantry by their border and give them as a present.

I think you should be able to either build or somehow demand ("levy") your vassals' unique units, like the Persian and Roman and countless other Imperial Armies that had special components from the different peoples who made up the empire (I think most Roman cavalry came from non-Roman subjects, and Xerxes' army when he marched on Greece was composed of different kinds of soldiers coming from everywhere in the empire). It would add an interesting level, I think, to want to win fealty from say China before the crossbow age or Russia before cavalry. Entirely off topic, of course.

Hello.

Since applying the patch, a large part of the ingame text has been replaced by strange phrases, such as TEXT_KEY_GAME_whatever.
How can I get rid of this c**p?

Hello.

Since applying the patch, a large part of the ingame text has been replaced by strange phrases, such as TEXT_KEY_GAME_whatever.
How can I get rid of this c**p?

The TXT issues are not caused by the patch, but the BUG mods compatibility with the patch. It was brought up in this thread at post #2. I assume you're using the BUG mod, as I don't recall anyone not using the mod having this problem.

The TXT issues are not caused by the patch, but the BUG mods compatibility with the patch. It was brought up in this thread at post #2. I assume you're using the BUG mod, as I don't recall anyone not using the mod having this problem.
Indeed, I am using the (incredibly useful) BUG Mod. Thanks for the link. :goodjob:

-----

EDIT: installing the latest bug mod release had no effect on this problem.
I suppose we must wait for the BUG team to make a new, 3.17-compatible release?

If stealth destroyers could intercept, mightn't that be annoying if they start shooting at planes and blow their cover?

EDIT: installing the latest bug mod release had no effect on this problem.
I suppose we must wait for the BUG team to make a new, 3.17-compatible release?
The latest BUG version is fully 3.17 compatible. The problem is that BUG 2.30 install does not erase other older BUG files.... meaning that the file that is causing the TXT problems is still there.

Do this: search for CIV4GameText_Objects_BTS.xml file in the MY games ( not the programs one ) costumassets ( probably in Assets/Text ) and delete it ( no worry... it is not needed ). If you can't find it, download the file attached to this post and put it in costumassets

The latest BUG version is fully 3.17 compatible. The problem is that BUG 2.30 install does not erase other older BUG files.... meaning that the file that is causing the TXT problems is still there.

Do this: search for CIV4GameText_Objects_BTS.xml file in the MY games ( not the programs one ) costumassets ( probably in Assets/Text ) and delete it ( no worry... it is not needed ). If you can't find it, download the file attached to this post and put it in costumassets

Thank you.
Deleting the file made the game display error popups while loading. It still loaded completely, but the problem was NOT solved.
However, downloading the file you attached and replacing the older one DID fix eveything (at least, as far as I can tell). :)

have any improvements been made to help with memory allocation failures?
ive read through the thread and am surprised that nonone has asked about this as lots of people seem to get ctd's because of it.

installing the latest bug mod release had no effect on this problem.

If you used the ZIP to install, you need to delete a file that was removed from BUG in the latest release: CustomAssets/XML/Text/CIV4GameText_BTS.xml. Unfortunately, there's no way for us to force a file to be removed when using the ZIP method.

If you used the EXE installer, make sure to uninstall the previous version first.

If those don't take care of the issue, please post in BUG's "Bug Reporting" thread so we can take a look. Let me know how you installed it and any other useful info.

If you used the ZIP to install, you need to delete a file that was removed from BUG in the latest release: CustomAssets/XML/Text/CIV4GameText_BTS.xml. Unfortunately, there's no way for us to force a file to be removed when using the ZIP method.

If you used the EXE installer, make sure to uninstall the previous version first.

If those don't take care of the issue, please post in BUG's "Bug Reporting" thread so we can take a look. Let me know how you installed it and any other useful info.
I used the exe, but neglected to remove the previous version first. My bad. Thank you anyway, and to r rolo1. :)

And I think otherwise.

P.S.

P.P.S.

Regarding the infantry part, in late game normal infantry is represented by mech inf. Just mentioning.

If stealth destroyers could intercept, mightn't that be annoying if they start shooting at planes and blow their cover?

Yes. There could be an option mode like patrol or sleep. If you have patrol mode they will use anti-air otherwise they will try to remain hidden.

Or just leave passive anti-air to major ships like cruisers.

"Fixed reload crash"

Is this a very understated fix for MAF - or something completely different....?

"Fixed reload crash"

Is this a very understated fix for MAF - or something completely different....?

I used to get occasional CTD if I tried to reload a quicksave. (Yeah, I cheat a lot.) Haven't seen it happen yet with 3.17, so maybe it's referring to that.

One nice thing I've seen in this patch, is that I can now form colonies in an 18-civ game (once a civ is killed off, freeing up the 18th slot again). I think it was mentioned in the patch release notes, but I didn't clue in until I saw the option in my F1 display.

I attempted to patch thorough the "Check for Updates" option. I strated at midnight and by it still said it was updating. Then, I checked at 10:35, and it still said it was updating. How long should it take? Am I doing something wrong?

Top Bottom