Civ4 BTS Patch v3.13 is up

In the unofficial thread we discussed the executives problem. Bhruic is going to look into it and see if he can get the AI to use them more intelligently. In the short term, just jump into the XML and reinstate the limit that we there before the patch. It's a simple change to a file.

In this example the limit is 6 (pre-patch was three, just like missionaries).

Removing the limit was a classic example of not testing the consequences of doing so. It's obvious to me that the "executive making code" never worked correctly, but it was not apparent since the AI could never make more than 3. Not sure why it was removed in the first place, I think it brings some balance to corporations.

In the unofficial thread we discussed the executives problem. Bhruic is going to look into it and see if he can get the AI to use them more intelligently. In the short term, just jump into the XML and reinstate the limit that we there before the patch. It's a simple change to a file.

In this example the limit is 6 (pre-patch was three, just like missionaries).

Removing the limit was a classic example of not testing the consequences of doing so. It's obvious to me that the "executive making code" never worked correctly, but it was not apparent since the AI could never make more than 3. Not sure why it was removed in the first place, I think it brings some balance to corporations.

As I said in that thread, it would be best if the limit scaled with map size, so that a 40 city huge sized map empire wouldn't be limited to the same number of executives as a 6 city duel sized map empire, especially since there are more foreign civilisations to spread the corporations to on a huge map. The number of 6 is a good compromise if it can't be scaled to map size.

As I said in that thread, it would be best if the limit scaled with map size, so that a 40 city huge sized map empire wouldn't be limited to the same number of executives as a 6 city duel sized map empire, especially since there are more foreign civilisations to spread the corporations to on a huge map. The number of 6 is a good compromise if it can't be scaled to map size.

Personally, I've always felt that movement points for units should be scaled to map size so that it doesn't take 2 millenia to cross from London to Boston.

Personally, I've always felt that movement points for units should be scaled to map size so that it doesn't take 2 millenia to cross from London to Boston.

That makes sense, but it is a bit hard to do since there only exist land units with 1 and 2 movement points. Any scaling is bound to mess things up.

However, the time scaling that exists in civ4 (quick, normal, epic, marathon) is a very good replacement for movement speed scaling. Movement remains the same on every one of these time scales while everything else changes, so effectively units are moving quicker on marathon and slower on quick.

That makes sense, but it is a bit hard to do since there only exist land units with 1 and 2 movement points. Any scaling is bound to mess things up.

However, the time scaling that exists in civ4 (quick, normal, epic, marathon) is a very good replacement for movement speed scaling. Movement remains the same on every one of these time scales while everything else changes, so effectively units are moving quicker on marathon and slower on quick.

I've never understood the point of the longer games, since *everything* is scaled to be bigger. In theory, the game is the same it just takes longer to play.

If I created a "Duukathon" speed, it would have the marathon-level tech speeds, Epic Level building/wonder speed, and normal unit speeds.

That way you'd spend more time in each era, being able to build the normal speed units, resulting in better wars of conquest and having to balance army size against costs. Alphabet and currency would become vital.

I've never understood the point of the longer games, since *everything* is scaled to be bigger. In theory, the game is the same it just takes longer to play.

The point is that units keep their normal movement speed. So units will move relatively faster at marathon speed. A unit will have more turns after it was created before it becomes obsolete. It can move more tiles between 0 AD and 1000 AD because there are more turns in between these dates and building speed and research speed scale so you will face equally developed cities with similar numbers of units and similar tech level.

I play at epic speed on huge maps by the way.

If I created a "Duukathon" speed, it would have the marathon-level tech speeds, Epic Level building/wonder speed, and normal unit speeds.

That way you'd spend more time in each era, being able to build the normal speed units, resulting in better wars of conquest and having to balance army size against costs. Alphabet and currency would become vital.

That wouldn't work well according to me because you would never have to choose what to build. You could build everything with that much extra production power. You'd probably also need to learn the AI how to deal with that extra production power as it might build too many units to maintain. That is already a bit of a problem at marathon speed where unit production isn't fully scaled. Still to each his/her own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretP
All my versions of BTS have had glitchy opening movies and victory movies. I was hoping the new patch would have taken care of it. I have not had this problem with any other version of Civ 4, expect the very first one, but they fixed with a patch. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running XP with an Nvidia Geforce 6200. The in game movies are fine.

The in game movies work fine. It is the intro movie and all victory movies that stutter. Not a big deal, but it is annoying.

Can someone please help me. I have Dial up on AOL (Blah) and have tried downloading the patch from Firaxis website twice to no avail. Its only downloading 108 mb. It shows that the dl is done when i click the patch it says error in setup.exe.

So i tried to DL it from this website same exact thing. Is this problem from AOL a Firewall etc? Im getting ready to pull my hair out with this issure, as this has taken me a total of 35 hours of wasted time on 3 DL.

Any help would be great. Btw all the other patches for civ IV vanilla and warlords worked fine.

The point is that units keep their normal movement speed. So units will move relatively faster at marathon speed. A unit will have more turns after it was created before it becomes obsolete. It can move more tiles between 0 AD and 1000 AD because there are more turns in between these dates and building speed and research speed scale so you will face equally developed cities with similar numbers of units and similar tech level.

There are other differences as well. For example, Marathon has 3 times as many turns as Normal and 3x the research cost, but only 2x the unit cost. So you can build more stuff AND move units faster, compared to teching pace, at slower speeds.

philbo,

find a neighbor with high speed and ask them to download it. That is what I used to do before i got dsl. If that does not work try a library or cyber cafe.

I like the fix of the vassal espionage. You gotta admit it's pretty annoying when one of your vassals poisons the water of your capitol and you can't do anything about it.

So what exactly was done to corporations regarding inflation? Is it that the after-courthouse numbers are used in calculating inflation now? I know it's been improved, but what was the problem exactly before and how is it different in 3.13?

So we as a community have given up.

Nothing posted in this thread in almost 24 hours, nothing posted at all in the "Alarming Silence" thread for nearly 2 days.

Well, there's actually plenty going on. Just look at the thread called 'Unofficial patch'. Bhruic's excellent work is resolving many important issues (note, this is an ongoing process), so the 3.13 game is playable until an official patch comes out. We're also seeing what can be done in the interim re MP, and the out of sync thread has some useful suggestions...:)

Is the Complete Edition patched to 3.13? I downloaded the patch and tells no Civ4 installation exists.
Welcome to CFC :band:
Complete has just come out so the answer is: probably yes, if you start BtS and ingame click on Advanced, then on About this Build it should tell you the version.

Welcome to CFC
Complete has just come out so the answer is: probably yes, if you start BtS and ingame click on Advanced, then on About this Build it should tell you the version.

Civ Version 313, it says. Many thanks, for the answer and the welcome.

I installed 3.13 yesterday, I did not read the board before hand. I did not have any crashes or similiar problems, but at about 700 bc in a marathon, terra huge, warlord difficulty game, I get declared war on by most of the civilizations (like 7 of 12) all at the same time. I had decent relations with them before hand. I have no clue as to why this is happening? I have played this type of map and difficulty before the pathc several times w/o any issues like this. Something seems fishy in the AI.

I think this is the save file right before this happens, I am at work so can't start game to verify. If it is not, I will update file and link later tonight.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/122436/SEnnis_BC-0700.CivBeyondSwordSave

Top Bottom