Civ4 PitBoss Available

I have 2 working terabytes on my server so a extra 1.5GB does not bother me much, however, if I ever start a 3rd game I will give the /ALTROOT thing a try.

Yup, got the missing libGL.so when running from VNC.

libgl1-mesa-swx11 did not install cleanly for me. I will just stick with the hardware render.

My computer is always hooked up to my t.v. anyways because I'm using mythtv so for the rare time I need to look at the pitboss server it's not much of a hassle.
The error I get is "No libGL on this box - disabling OpenGL support" when going though VNC server even with libgl1 installed.

wine Civ4BeyondSword_Pitboss.exe /ALTROOT="Z:\what\you\want" is confirmed to work though :)

didn't read all 13 pages..

did a way to reload a game via command-line switches appear?

Thinking about starting a game, but since they hang so often, it'd be nice if it would auto-reload pitboss on occasion, or I could remotely reboot my system and have the game come back up.

:dubious::dunno:
I just startet a two player game with pitboss under wine.:scan:
The /ALTROOT method does is job quite well.:goodjob:
Even on Linux!:clap:
I created a new directory, to which I copied everything from "~/My Games/Beyond the Sword" then edited the port in the CivilizationIV.ini at my new directory "/home/myuser/civ4pitbossgames/2er"
My bash terminal to start the Pitboss Server looked like:
Code:
myuser@mybox:~/Desktop/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword$ wine Civ4BeyondSword_Pitboss.exe /ALTROOT="Z:\home\myuser\civ4pitbossgames\2er"
And the server now runs at its new, other port.

So typing "wine Civ4BeyondSword_Pitboss.exe /ALTROOT="Z:\what\you\want"" should do the job. Z: is an imaginary drive letter generated by wine for its running application which settles at the root of the linux directory tree. Perhaps you have to adjust it to your installation of wine.

Redarg
P.S.: Where can I demand a Tux or other Linux smiley?

I have tried to start a pitboss server on my ubuntu machine. I am a n00b at linux though so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have installed wine and copied my Civ4 directory to the harddrive. I removed Art and Sound just like you. I copied "my documents\my games\beyond the sword\ to home\user\pitboss\1

I then tried wine Beyond the word_pitboss.exe /ALTROOT="Z:\home\user\pitboss\1"

but there seems to be some errors.. I get a popup saying:
XML Error:
Error locating tag node in SetGlobalStringArray function. Current XML file is: xml/GlobalTypes.xml

I get this on step 6: init XML (uncached)

SOLVED: I had to override msdxml3.dll in wine

Alright.

I'm running Pitboss on Windows XP, or trying to.

When I open the pitboss exe, I get the following:

---------------------------------------------------------
App::Active
Done reading INI
Init Progress - step 1/9 - Init File Catalog
Deleting file CACHE
Init Progress - step 2/9 - Check XML
Init Progress - step 3/9 - Init MP/Voice
Init Progress - step 4/9 - Init Audio
Init Progress - step 5/9 - Init Python
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
Init Progress - step 6/9 - Init XML (cached)
Init Progress - step 7/9 - Init Engine
Init Progress - step 8/9 - Init Fonts (4.67s)
Init Progress - step 9/9 - DONE
App Init start elapsed time = 4.68, cached XML<BR>

CvEngine::shutdownGraphics

CVRESMGR: shared 0, loaded 4, copied 0, cloned 0, failedLoads 0
CvEngine::shutdownGraphics

Cleaning up Properties:
---------------------------------------------------------

And.... that's it. It just stops. The window closes, no Pitboss Setup Wizard comes up, nothing. It just quits and won't do anything.

What on earth is going on? This is very, very frustrating.

If you just have vanilla civ the pitboss is not working.. If so just dl the file from the first post.. warlords and bts should be working fine...

I shrunk the civ server folder to just about 630mb. I deleted all the sounds arts and mods.

Does deleting of mods cause problems with running a plain BTS pitboss?

I have tried to start a pitboss server on my ubuntu machine. I am a n00b at linux though so maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have installed wine and copied my Civ4 directory to the harddrive. I removed Art and Sound just like you. I copied "my documents\my games\beyond the sword\ to home\user\pitboss\1

I then tried wine Beyond the word_pitboss.exe /ALTROOT="Z:\home\user\pitboss\1"

but there seems to be some errors.. I get a popup saying:
XML Error:
Error locating tag node in SetGlobalStringArray function. Current XML file is: xml/GlobalTypes.xml

I get this on step 6: init XML (uncached)

SOLVED: I had to override msdxml3.dll in wine

Did the same thing and getting the same error, however I don't know how to override the .dll file! Please tell me what you did.
I tried to start the game with this:

WINEDLLOVERRIDES="msxml3=n,b" wine Civ4BeyondSword_Pitboss.exe

But then I get another error message saying:
Caught unhandled exception creating XML parser object.
Current XML file is:

thanks for the link, actually I had to download the dll files as well!
btw. I'm already running Wine 1.0

But it started now, even tho I couldn't seem to connect.

Which ports do I need to open on my firewall (external) ?
And do I have to edit any more files on my linux machine to make it listen to one of those ports?

[...]
btw. I'm already running Wine 1.0

But it started now, even tho I couldn't seem to connect.

Which ports do I need to open on my firewall (external) ?
And do I have to edit any more files on my linux machine to make it listen to one of those ports?
I'm running wine 0.9.44.
I won't touch this running system any more. I hope to replace the machine during august.

Ports: For each game you need only ONE open UDP-Port. It is the port YOU specified in your CivilizationIV.ini with:
Code:
; NetComm Port
Port = 2056
Remember you can specify the use of different CivilizationIV.inis (and so on the use of different ports) with the /ALTROOT= option.
Code:
wine Civ4BeyondSword_Pitboss.exe /ALTROOT="Z:\home\myuser\civ4pitbossgames\2er"
I use it.

Other files: I don't know your server. So i don't know what may effect your Pitboss.

Redarg

How can I test out my pitboss on my computer to check and see if I actually downloaded it? I followed the directions (btw when it says extract in main civ4 directory where exactly is that) and I actually have what is shown in screenshots 1 and 2 on the first post of this thread. However, when I continue, it says I must have the latest pitboss version.

1. How do I check and see if I have pitboss?

2. Where do I get the latest version?

I use Windows XP and have Beyond the Sword 3.17

Pitboss comes with the game... It was just the vanilla version that didn't work...

In the beyond the sword folder?

i use my ubuntu-8.04-64bit-box as desktop and game-station and need nvidia-accelrated-opengl, so i couldn't run bts-3.17-pitboss in vnc because of the previous mentioned libGL problem - the solution for me is:
1. Download the i386-version of the libgl1-mesa-swx11 package: download (not amd64, because wine is always 32bit!)
2. Extract the *.so-files from the downloaded deb-file (e.g. with mc) to your bts-folder or somewhere else, but never ever to /usr/lib!!!
3. launch with
Code:
LD_PRELOAD=<location>/libGL.so.1 wine Civ4BeyondSword_PitBoss.exe mod=... /altroot=...

i hope this helps... clain

Another option to run pitboss in linux is to use X11Vnc. With this, you can use vnc to connect to an already running X session. You can have pitboss running on your normal X desktop and still connect to it remotely.

This has been my way of running pitboss for the last few months. I tried using vnc but did not find a solution for the missing opengl (I just found this topic today). Maybe I'll try the real vnc solution with the software renderer, since pitboss is the only reason there is X on my server.

Top Bottom