Civ5 Wishlist

I would like to see an easy to use system for naming units. For instance, if I make battle ships, I would like the option to use historically accurate battleship names/numbers that would be civ specific. As in first American battleship produced would be BB-1 USS Indiana. It doesn't necessarily have to be that but anything is better than the way it is now.

You mean, such as a simple click on the name in the unit info window, and you can just type in whatever name you want? :crazyeye:

(Seriously, I think there are tons of tips and tricks in cIV that most people aren't aware of.)

I mean something that is automatic. Set it and forget it. Until the naming system runs out of names, that is. American battleships are named after states. So there would be 50 names. Once they've run run out then it's up to the player. It's been a long time, but if I remember correctly, Civ3 had a way you could assign a list of names to a unit that would be used by the game upon unit completion. I may be wrong about that though.:confused:

I would like to see an easy to use system for naming units. For instance, if I make battle ships, I would like the option to use historically accurate battleship names/numbers that would be civ specific. As in first American battleship produced would be BB-1 USS Indiana. It doesn't necessarily have to be that but anything is better than the way it is now.

I would like to be able to give a name to mountains, seas, rivers...and then have "the battle of Nil/Carpates/amazonia...leads to the victory of XX" something easier than alt+S of the worldbuilder

In no specific order:

1) More historic accuracy in civilizations, unique units, city names, leaders etc. (please don't offend the Amerinds again)
2) Programmable AI
3) True spherical map
4) Less micro-management (do we really need Workers?)
5) Land reclamation
6) Reduced luck factor (e.g. a nearly destroyed army should not magically heal back to full strength)

I would like to be able to give a name to mountains, seas, rivers...and then have "the battle of Nil/Carpates/amazonia...leads to the victory of XX" something easier than alt+S of the worldbuilder
That too sounds good. It would really be cool if you could then use those battle names for ship names as the US Navy does for some of it's ships.

These threads crack me up in every gaming forum I am on.

If the release date range is announced what is actually in the game is in, period. There won't be anything added that isn't already there wrt gameplay. From here it's beta testing and debug work plus probably they haven't built the multiplay engine yet (maybe).

If there's one thing on the wishlist how about not release a game that is so bug ridden and exploit sensitive like CIV 1.0000. Took nearly 3 years to really get all the bugs out. Lets work on that, and the content can be modded in later.

Mercenaries. Tons of civs have used them - Carthage, Rome. England, etc. etc.
We kind of get the effect with spending to rush a unit, but that's a late game strategy. I'd love to see units you could buy as soon as you advance out of despot status. Make them count as two units for maintenance costs, and have them at -10% strength to reflect their nature as outsiders to the civ.

If the release date range is announced what is actually in the game is in, period. There won't be anything added that isn't already there wrt gameplay. From here it's beta testing and debug work plus probably they haven't built the multiplay engine yet (maybe).

If there's one thing on the wishlist how about not release a game that is so bug ridden and exploit sensitive like CIV 1.0000. Took nearly 3 years to really get all the bugs out. Lets work on that, and the content can be modded in later.
There's always patches and expansion packs that could have user inspired/requested content.

"These threads crack me up in every gaming forum I am on." -culdeus

Wow! Aren't you the crowd silencer. Way to kill the enthusiasm. You don't think 99.9% of everyone who is posting right now doesn't know that every word they are saying isn't being added into the game as we speak. Thanks Captain Not-So-Obvious.

The conjecture and the ooooh... and ahhhh... is half the fun. RELAX. :lol: It's just like debating who is going to win the next Super Bowl and the draft hasn't even started yet.

Bring on the Hittites!

Don't be that severe. It's just wishes!
Personally, Complaining is fun :lol:

Sigh... I don't see the point. Anything i could want from a game of Civ there is a mod for. After Rise of mankind and FF2 i really can't think of a way to make the game better. Don't get me wrong I am still going to buy the game first chance I get but I can't think of any reason too other then hexagons and no SoDs.

What?!:eek:No SoD. Who been telling that lie?:lol::lol:

Do you mean something like the console version Where if you "discover" a desert or a jungle you get to name it? I think that'd be a cool feature to have on the PC

1. Use the hex-grid to make a spherical, 3d world map. I want to be able to fly planes across the arctic circle!

2. Evolving civilization traits. I would like to see the decisions I make during the game slowly mold the culture of my civilization.

3. Revolutions/Minor Civs/Civil War. The late game in vanilla civ 4 gets very static, and happiness and unhealthiness were merely mild inconveniences rather than a real threat to my winning the game.

4. Multi-turn combats between units. In Civ 4 there were all these cool experience upgrades, but one bad battle and you lost everything. It would be nice of units wouldn't always die after one round of combat.

5. Advisor videos. The old videos from Civ 2 were highly entertaining, if cheesy. Bringing these back would add some flavor to the game.

6. Changing leader attire/background over time. In Civ 3, the leaders' apperance would change during different eras. In Civ 4, the music changed, but the background was always the same, which was jarring. It would be nice if their attire changed with the music.

7. Better music for the modern age. Minimalism is a relatively small musical movement from the 20th century. Some neo-classical or, heck, even some Jazz, would be nice, and much less distracting. The music in the modern era tended to make me zone out and lose focus.

8. Unique unit skins for each unit for each civ. This is the upgrade I most liked from the Legends of Revolutions mod. Having unique skins on a civ-by-civ basis made the civs feel more different, even though practically the units behaved the same.

9. More interesting economic and resources system. It would be nice to see an ability to turn resources into finished goods like in Colonization and then trade them. not as micro-level as Colonization, but it'd be cool to specialize economic production in cities beyond simply changing what abstract resources they provide (money, culture, science).

10. More detail in some time-periods that were glazed over. For example, the enlightenment era was sort of glazed over, when that was a major time of social upheaval. The enlightenment and industrial eras, at least in terms of combat, need to be fleshed out, especially since, from a military standpoint, the represented a major change in how combat was conducted.

11. Finally, bring back Leonardo's Workshop! :p

My biggest wish is for AI that is smart and does not act like a typical AI and is more humanlike in playstyle. The AI in Civ 4 did some awfully strange things which no human would ever do.

In no specific order:
5) Land reclamation
You could do this in Civ 2. I have a mod where a ship called the terraformer, changes an ocean tile into a swamp tile. It was also programmable as an event, where you could have a whole (square or rectangular) chunk of ocean change to land tiles. Land reclamation was one of the extra techs you could insert.

I miss terraforming like Civ 2 had it. You could take any city, and eventually make it highly productive.

Do you mean something like the console version Where if you "discover" a desert or a jungle you get to name it? I think that'd be a cool feature to have on the PC

Exactely!

For example, if you are Russian, rivers in your neighborhood/cultural borders will be automatically (it could be manually changed) be called "Volga", "Lena", "Amour",...the mountains "Oural", "altaï",...
If you are egyptian, it would be the Nil...

Deserts will have some famous names: sahara, Gobi, kalahari, ... and ocean too: artic ocean, mediterranean sea, Aral sea...

changing City Lists

The same city shouldn't be the second on the list all the time; capitals can be, but should be fixed by leader (f.e. Ramses has Thebes while Cleopatra has Alexandria), who also should influence city lists; name could change over time, but may change with conquest - a Lyon captured by Rome should become Lugdunum)

This variance could (and probably should) also be expanded as far as possible to other aspects like Leader Background, Music and Leader Personality (which could change in a minor way over the 5000 years).

changing City Lists

This variance could (and probably should) also be expanded as far as possible to other aspects like Leader Background, Music and Leader Personality (which could change in a minor way over the 5000 years).

Yes, in civ III, the leader 's clothes change in relation to era ancient, middle ages, modern....
It's avoided to have a Roosevelt or Bismark in stone age with modern clothes, and it was fun to see Mursilis or Hammurabi wearing modern clothes

Ohhh, there's one thing I really, really hope they'll get rid of: That utterly meaningless feature called "Cultural borders". Culture should not and must not control the borders. It leads to so many stupid situations.

For example, I played some pacific scenario the other day and NEEDED an oil source, so I somehow managed to conquer Saigon, which has an oil source in a square next to it. Then I just heard (or imagined) a SPROOOOING, and the oil source was suddenly on British territory due to the culture from Singapore. What the HECK!!!! I make the effort to grab a city, but the UK gets the best part of it without lifting a finger???! If they want oil, come fight for it like men!

That feature must go. Really fast. It's overdue for the scrapyard. I hope they come up with some brilliant way to determine borders... But maybe I'm too optimistic.

Top Bottom