CivBE for Windows in Parallels

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Has anyone else tried to get CivBE for Windows running in Parallels yet?

I've tried it using Windows 7, in Parallels 9 on my old Lion system, and in Parallels 10 and Yosemite on my shiny new retina iMac. In both cases, it starts up, runs the intro movie until I click it, then just sits there with a planet image and no menu or other controls. The only way I can get out is to Ctl-Alt-Del and kill the task.

I suspect the problem may be that the running process is CivilizationBE_DX11.exe, and Parallels doesn't support DX11. Has anyone got it to work, or discovered a workaround?

Haven't tried it in Parallels yet, but ran the demo in Bootcamp and had a similar problem on my MBPwRD. I found I had to switch the display to a lower resolution to get past it. Then set the video settings to a lower resolution and windowed mode.

Not sure if that will help in Parallels.

On a similar note, has anyone had any luck getting it to run in WINE? There are DX11 winetricks out there. I haven't bought BE yet, but I tried to get Civ5 running under DX11 and had no luck. It just crashed right as I opened it. No errors, no screen flickering, nothing.

(And let me know if this should be a topic. I felt silly creating a BE WINE topic just to say I tried Civ5 and and didn't work.)

I got it to run under Parallels, but half of the graphics don't show up, so the units look sort of transparent and are almost invisible and the pink default background is visible. Makes it unplayable for me. I'm running on Bootcamp for now, which works fine also with max graphics settings.

Yes, I'm playing CivBE game in Parallels 10 with Win 8.1. Host system Yosemite.

It's a bit disappointing because it only runs on the minimum graphic settings. I can't bump a single video option above its lowest setting. If I do, the game will start but the save won't load beyond the "Advisor Intro" screen.

This is on a nMP, 3.5GHz, 16GB with D500 (dual 3BG VRAM). In the VM, I've allocated the max "recommended" RAM and VRAM.

It does play on the minimum settings quite fine - I'm up to turn 368 on a standard map.

The same VM runs other games fine on High/Ultra settings. So I wonder if there's something/some setting I'm missing, either in the game or VM config. Anyone have any tips/advice?

ETA: OS and Parallels version.

I don't recommend running it under Parallels. You only get the system memory you set aside, plus 1/2 the video men.

V:BE works great under Bootcamp.

Top Bottom