Civilization 5 and Steam(works)

How will the integration of Steam(works) influence your decision on buying Civ5?

• I will probably buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to buy it.

Votes: 62 9.3%
  • I will probably buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.

Votes: 93 14.0%
  • I will probably buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to buy it.

Votes: 94 14.1%
  • I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to do so.

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.

Votes: 9 1.4%
  • I am undecided on whether I will buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to do so.

Votes: 48 7.2%
  • I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam is making me more likely to buy it.

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam does not influence this decision either way.

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • I will probably NOT buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to buy it.

Votes: 27 4.1%
  • I will definitely NOT buy the game, because of Steam.

Votes: 103 15.5%
  • I will definitely NOT buy the game, Steam doesn't affect this decision.

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • I will definitely buy the game, because of Steam.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • I will definitely buy the game, Steam doesn't affect this decision.

Votes: 196 29.4%

• Total voters
Hi, Ori.

For those of us who’ve already gone “all in”, I’d like to offer-up a few more options for your prestigious poll:

• I have already preordered the game via Steam. I love Civilization IV, am chomping at the bit to play Civ5, don’t give a rat’s ass how it’s delivered, and would prostitute my dead great-grandmother in the exercise yard of a federal penitentiary for the opportunity to add it to my stable of games.

Yup, that's me :goodjob:

I have CIV4 on Steam, oddly using my son's account. I like having my games all in my laptop to play wherever I am. The envious looks of fellow commuters when I can blow the :eek: out of enemies on the train in full, gore drenched HD is fun. Being able to do same whenever I have a spare moment and DID NOT BRING A MASSIVE STACK OF DVDs is funner. :king:

I do disapprove of steam in a few ways, but would probably be reduced to searching for a hack that allowed me to play with no DVD if it did not exist (as I have done up 'til now), so it's swings & roundabouts.

[edit]
but I'll add that I did NOT buy through steam as we get totally gouged downunder. Another reason to hate them, but at least I can buy elsewhere. Apart from the special editions. That makes me :mad:. I hope to hear lots of whiny comments on how the extras on those editions are not worth it ;) !

-> sure not the majority.

Eh ? I have Civ4 vanilla and all expansions on original DVD, and they all have DRM. You need to insert the cd in the drive to play.

I will probably buy the game, Steam is making me less likely to buy it.

I have used Steam since it fist came out and it has evolved from a buggy thing to a tolerable platform, but I'd still rather be without. It'd even good for buying budget crap, but for games I like to beat more than once... I'd rather not link those to Steam.

That being said, Steam is not the main thing making me hesistate, it's system requirements. I'll check the demo first.

Eh ? I have Civ4 vanilla and all expansions on original DVD, and they all have DRM. You need to insert the cd in the drive to play.

The final official patch for BtS (3.19) removes the DRM and you won't need the disc to play. The same, by the way, was done on FM09 with patch 9.3.1.

I'd be ready to pay extra for a Steam-free version of Civ 5. Even up to triple figures, I'd guess.

The final official patch for BtS (3.19) removes the DRM and you won't need the disc to play
Which came out how long after initial release?
The game's revenue stream was basically over by that point.
Not even close to having a game without DRM.

pre-ordered the deluxe edition on steam.

it's nice having all my games go with me wherever and steams drm is a lot better then the old ways. I've had my original civ 4 disk a long time now, a lot of comps with securom now =/

it's nice not having to deal with that crap or having to use gamespy.

edit: oh hey just found that civ3 is only $5 on it...hell what's 1 more copy of a classic.

pre-ordered the deluxe edition on steam.

it's nice having all my games go with me wherever and steams drm is a lot better then the old ways. I've had my original civ 4 disk a long time now, a lot of comps with securom now =/

it's nice not having to deal with that crap or having to use gamespy.

edit: oh hey just found that civ3 is only $5 on it...hell what's 1 more copy of a classic.
Hehehe, I also bought Civ3 on Steam, even though I have 2 copies here (one 'normal' copy and one included in Civ Chronicles).

But it's just so easy to have it all in one place.
Heh. And for the price of two beers I couldn't ignore it.

Although I wish the price of Civ4 Complete would drop to the retail price (10 euro or so), than I might buy that as well (even though, again, I have two copies of that). Just for convenience and having it all in one place (i.e. Steam).

Hehehe, I also bought Civ3 on Steam, even though I have 2 copies here (one 'normal' copy and one included in Civ Chronicles).

But it's just so easy to have it all in one place.

Although I wish the price of Civ4 Complete would drop to the retail price (10 euro or so), than I might buy that as well (even though, again, I have two copies of that). Just for convenience and having it all in one place (i.e. Steam).

yes absolutely.

cmon 2k, make a weekend steam 50% (or dare I say it....75%!) sale! don't listen to the haters on here, steam is the way. so many of us are just itching to give you even more money for a product we already own many times over, make it happen.The game is 5 years old now anyways, and it's a good opportunity to get people cheaply turned onto civ5.

in fact, i don't think you put enough on steam imo. i probably wouldn't have been alone in buying a complete deluxe firaxis pack (all games ever). $:gold:$

I wish that you could add non-steamworks games to your Steam library, just because its so useful, but I guess they don't want to give away patching servers and free downloads unless you buy the game on Steam or a game with Steamworks.

Firaxis/2K are very lazy at advertising their product on Steam.

The latest update in the News section is from May 6th :eek:
There are only 5 very old screenshots, I think those also are from May and they are not very attractive.
There is only 1 promotional video, and it doesnt have any actual ingame footage.

I hope after the game is released 2K/Firaxis will care a bit more about Steam and remember to post patch notes and announcements in the News section.

WOW your beers are expensive.

Not that I care cause I don't drink that crap, but I imagine good stuff costs proportionally high as well (rum, vodka, pisco, etc)

The final official patch for BtS (3.19) removes the DRM and you won't need the disc to play. The same, by the way, was done on FM09 with patch 9.3.1.
I'd be ready to pay extra for a Steam-free version of Civ 5. Even up to triple figures, I'd guess.
Which came out how long after initial release?
The game's revenue stream was basically over by that point.
Not even close to having a game without DRM.
BTS came out 20 July 2007 and patch 3.19 which removed the DRM came out 10 June 2009, two years later.

And as for "stream free". Never going to happen, because the game is built on steamworks as a platform (see the FAQ and all that).

Firaxis/2K are very lazy at advertising their product on Steam.

It's way past simply lazy when 2K months ago abandoned both of their own Steam FAQ theads. Example posted Aug 28 from the 2K thread Civilization 5 Steamworks questions/concerns for inclusion in the FAQ:

Many of us have been asking the same question but the 2K corporate PR reps aren't answering.

It's been almost a month now since I posted that question on the first page of 2K Gregs's "Official Civ5 Steamworks FAQ" thread. I reposted the question weeks later and and also left a message on 2K Greg's account page.

Either 2K Greg hasn't been back to read his own FAQ thread and hasn't seen all the unanswered questions (bad), or the 2K corporate bosses have something to hide and ordered Greg and Elizabeth to deliberately ignore the questions because they have placed regional purchase/play restrictions on Civ5 but don't want us to know about them (even more bad).

We have been told not to open new Steam threads as "Any new Steam threads are likely to be closed on sight."

That leaves us only with this thread, 2K's "Civilization 5 Steamworks questions/concerns for inclusion in the FAQ" thread", which is now over 1100 posts long without even one single question ever having been actually included in the FAQ. Thanks 2K! :lol:

We can't change our vote on this poll but mine would now be because of 2K's actions requesting our questions and then ignoring those questions I will not be paying any of my money to 2K ever again. ;)

I have had the unfortunate experience of dealing with Steam once and said never again. I have been lucky to never have to deal with them again and just tonight, two days before the release I find out if I want to play a game I really want to play I have to deal with that trash again.

My first time with Steam was with unexpected and horrible when I bought Half life 2 (I believe it was). I didn't realize I had to have Steam running to play the game when I bought it (I bought the box from the store, no digital download). I installed and downloaded as needed only to find out Steam had to let me play the game and if it was down I couldn't play. If there was a wait to log on to play my single player game, I couldn't play. I tried for two days and NEVER got to play the game. I threw it away, chalked it up to stupid tax on not researching a product well enough and swore off buying anything through them again. I honestly would rather have been kicked in the groin then read that Civ 5 was going to run through such a horrible system. :(

Top Bottom