[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Question. Is Portugal considered a staple now? It's only been around since IV.
It was first introduced in Civ 3 so it has been in 3 games previously, so I think it is considered as much a staple as the Byzantines, Dutch, Koreans, Maya and Ottomans who were introduced in the same game.
Apparently the Arabians and Inca were found in Civ 2 files, and could be edited to play as them, so I didn't list them.

Honestly I'd kind of want the ability to go like this:
Silk Road- Grants a free eureka/inspiration after every completed trade route with a civ for the first time. -10 combat strength in naval combat. :mischief:

Basically makes it an incentive for him to exclusively focus trading on land as naval units wouldn't particularly help in protecting traders over water.

There is a Civ VI Mod Kublai Alternate Leader for Mongolia now, but not particularly Trade focused.

The Silk Road long predated the rise of the Mongols, and the Song already had extensive sea trade with southeast Asia, so I'd be tempted to make a 'Silk Road' Unique particular to a Sogdian Civ: Can trade Resources it gets from other Civs, even without having any 'left over' for itself, and automatically gets a Trading Post in every Civ city or City State one of its land Trade Routes passes through.

Then a Chinese Unique would be: Gets an extra Trade Route whenever it gets a Diplomatic Point and completing a Trade Route with another Civ for the first time gives a free Eureka/Inspiration.

These two would show the great influence the Sogdians had on the long-distance overland trade across central Asa, and the way that Chinese trade was a product of Chinese cultural/political Influence throughout East Asia.

Rounding out, a Portugal Civ could have a Nau Unique Unit with both open-Ocean movement and the ability to start Trade Routes or establish Trading Posts (Feitoria?) in non-Portuguese cities (including City States).

There is a Civ VI Mod Kublai Alternate Leader for Mongolia now, but not particularly Trade focused.

The Silk Road long predated the rise of the Mongols, and the Song already had extensive sea trade with southeast Asia, so I'd be tempted to make a 'Silk Road' Unique particular to a Sogdian Civ: Can trade Resources it gets from other Civs, even without having any 'left over' for itself, and automatically gets a Trading Post in every Civ city or City State one of its land Trade Routes passes through.

Then a Chinese Unique would be: Gets an extra Trade Route whenever it gets a Diplomatic Point and completing a Trade Route with another Civ for the first time gives a free Eureka/Inspiration.

These two would show the great influence the Sogdians had on the long-distance overland trade across central Asa, and the way that Chinese trade was a product of Chinese cultural/political Influence throughout East Asia.

Rounding out, a Portugal Civ could have a Nau Unique Unit with both open-Ocean movement and the ability to start Trade Routes or establish Trading Posts (Feitoria?) in non-Portuguese cities (including City States).
Who would lead Sogdiana, though?

It was first introduced in Civ 3 so it has been in 3 games previously, so I think it is considered as much a staple as the Byzantines, Dutch, Koreans, Maya and Ottomans who were introduced in the same game.
Apparently the Arabians and Inca were found in Civ 2 files, and could be edited to play as them, so I didn't list them.

You're right, I forgot about Conquests. To be fair, I didn't play that expansion much, but I noticed both Hittites and Sumer were included.

It was the Austrians and Incas in Civ 2. I remember finding them myself. With a little help from the early internet. :)

I doubt we will get an actual silk road civ especially since Samarkand is confirmed to be one of the new city-states, so I think incoming Kublai Khan would be the best option.
Sure the Silk Road predated the Mongols but it was the Mongolian Empire who ultimately controlled the trade routes during their rule and it was Marco Polo who famously visited Kublai's court and their was an exchange of ideas which brought gunpowder to Europe etc.

I'm also hoping he does turn out to lead China as well so they could get that ability also.

I expect that Portugal could have a trading focus as well, but I'm thinking they might focus more on exploration, as we don't have a civ yet that really prioritizes it. At least not in the way that Civ 5 Spain was, but better implemented.
I think it would be cool if the Feitoria ended up being like a coastal vampire castle where you can build in neutral territory but acquire the yields around it.

I doubt we will get an actual silk road civ especially since Samarkand is confirmed to be one of the new city-states, so I think incoming Kublai Khan would be the best option.
Sure the Silk Road predated the Mongols but it was the Mongolian Empire who ultimately controlled the trade routes during their rule and it was Marco Polo who famously visited Kublai's court and their was an exchange of ideas which brought gunpowder to Europe etc.

I'm also hoping he does turn out to lead China as well so they could get that ability also.

I expect that Portugal could have a trading focus as well, but I'm thinking they might focus more on exploration, as we don't have a civ yet that really prioritizes it. At least not in the way that Civ 5 Spain was, but better implemented.
I think it would be cool if the Feitoria ended up being like a coastal vampire castle where you can build in neutral territory but acquire the yields around it.

I don't expect a Sogdian or any other 'Silk Road' Civ in Civ VI: I'm laying the groundwork for Civ VII here, just as I am in the Perfect 4X Historical thread . . .

There was a Genoa Modded Civ in Civ V which had the ability to build an Improvement outside its territory on a coastal tile that 'extracted' whatever resource was on that tile, no matter how far away it was from any Genoan City. That might be a good basis for a Feitoria 'Unique' for Portugal, since it would emphasize Exploration to find such Resources as well as the exploiting of them - and possibly the retrading of them to other Civs.

I would think it was shame to not have another native American civilization, but tbh I'd much rather see the Portuguese added if this is the last content for the game.
I'm the opposite. While having Brazil and no Portugal feels strange, I don't particularly need Portugal. I'd much rather have a second Native American civ.

Who would lead Sogdiana, though?
Oxyartes (Huxšaθra) would be my recommendation.

I'm the opposite. While having Brazil and no Portugal feels strange, I don't particularly need Portugal. I'd much rather have a second Native American civ.
And if it turns out to be Maria I leading both Portugal and Brazil... I can only imagine the reactions. :mischief:

I want Portugal in the game, if only for the fantastic Portuguese music. That 2016 Summer Olympics must have benefited Brazil getting into Civ lol.

I want Portugal in the game, if only for the fantastic Portuguese music.
Counter argument: Native American flute. :p (Not to say I don't love the Cree chanting or that I don't want more chanting.)

It's unlikely, but I'd be thrilled if Babylon got some Babylonian Jewish chanting: Babylonian Jewish music is widely believed to be of great antiquity.

I want Portugal in the game, if only for the fantastic Portuguese music. That 2016 Summer Olympics must have benefited Brazil getting into Civ lol.
Isn't that why they waited for 2018 to put in Korea? ;)
Anyway good thing they decided to put Japan from the get go because who knows when we would have got them considering this years was postponed. :mischief:

Counter argument: Native American flute. :p (Not to say I don't love the Cree chanting or that I don't want more chanting.)

It's unlikely, but I'd be thrilled if Babylon got some Babylonian Jewish chanting: Babylonian Jewish music is widely believed to be of great antiquity.
Does that mean Hammurabi come with a preference for Judaism as well? :p

Does that mean Hammurabi come with a preference for Judaism as well? :p
Considering he and Abraham would be roughly contemporary that seems...difficult. :p While I'd love for Babylon's theme to be based on Babylonian Jewish music, I'm fully expecting yet another variation on the Hurrian Hymn to Nikkal. It already worked so well for Sumer and Phoenicia so why not do it again? :p

I think if Greece can have Macedon and if Rome can have Byzantium, I think Mali can have the Songhai.

Top Bottom