CivRev Community

Oddible

signal / noise > 1
So I'm curious if the CivRev community is that much smaller / less talkative than the general Civ community or if they're all off chatting on some other forum (gamespot.com or something) because these CivRev forums are pretty dead yet there are always MP people on to play with so I know they're out there.

The most excitement this forum gets is when someone comes along and mistakenly posts something about CivIV here and us chickens can jump on it and tell em they're in the wrong forum!

Also, the Game of the Week which seems to me is some way to unite the community has the deadest forum of them all.

Curious if folks know of other CivRev communities and how we can gather them up! Are they all over at Apolyton?!

This forum is actually the second biggest one, and it's got a lot of nice things about it.

2kforums is where a lot of us are. It's a very active board. A few of us from there come on this board, like Morte, myself, hellogoodbye. A few have left here and post mainly there now, like Kadazzle, and MK ElderGod.

forums.2kgames.com

But this one is great, I don't want to see people just go to 2K. There's a lot of things I like about this board, especially the message board software they use, it's a lot better for the posters.

Anyway, there's also boards @ gamefaqs, apolyton, and lots of other places, but CivFanatics and 2KForums are the two largest for CivRev.

Cool, will check out 2K. Don't get me wrong, I've been kickin' around Civfanatics for many years before the release of CivRev - love the Civ community here. Was surprised that the CivRev folks haven't gravitated to it like other Civvers. Maybe the style of play, being slightly less involved, doesn't require it. I'm digging the speedy iconic play of CivRev as something different from CivIV (though CivIV retains my true love - at least until there's a CivV or ACII). Thanks for the pointer!

I'm active on both ....well, not THAT active, but I'm always there....somehow...

Btw, what platform do you play civrev on?
-ps3 = add me
-360 = to bad

I think part of the difference is the type of players. The PC versions of the game require careful thought, and many of us are drawn to the strategic depth of them. The average Civ 1-4 player is in his late teens - early twenties. In contrast, CivRev is targeted at the Console crowd, who tend to move on to new games more quickly, and who also tend to be younger, on average.

2K obviously has the more "robust" forums. After all they are the official site for Civ Rev. OTOH, sites like Civfanatics and Apolyton were started back when the official Civ sites didn't have any forums to speak of, so we have grown to be the important "feedback" sites for Firaxis. We are even mentioned as the place to go for help on the official Civ4 site. (Or we used to be, at least - haven't looked lately.)

Another point to be mentioned is that the forum communities tend to be just a very tiny fraction of the people who play. So while there are always willing players for MP games around, probably only one percent of them even visit sites like this.

I'm not really worried about it. Even though our CivRev community here isn't as vibrant as our Civ4 one, we do feel we provide a comfortable place where players can discuss the game, if they so wish. We just hope we continue to have sufficient "experts" visit so that newbie questions can be quickly answered. :)

Yeah, I like having the variety of boards to discuss things on. Sometimes I get bored of talking to the same ppl over on 2K, so I stop by here.

I think once of the big draws for me when I first starting coming here to CivFanatics was the excellent stuff on the main page of CivFanatics. There's a lot of great basic reference info compiled in an easily accessible way. There's no other forum that can do that for Civ, or at least not CivRev.

the PC civ games may in general have an older group of players, but I still find for a console game, there is a surprisingly high percentage of players in their 20s or older that play CivRev. Definatly moreso than most console games. I think CivRev has just been an extension of what the PC Civ's base is like. From what I know, most of the regular poster over on 2K are actually in their mid 20s or older, with plenty of ppl from the 40 and over crowd.

Anyway, I like how this site is layed out, it seems very organized, and promotes user-editing without letting it get out of hand. It's also nice to have such a large limit on character count for posts, on 2K or gameFAQs, a lot of my strategies take several posts to fit it in, whereas here it can be all one long post. I guess that kind of thing is only helpful for a small number of people, but I post my strategy articles on about 3 or 4 sites, and this one is by far the most hassle free one to use.

Anyway, I'll stop yakkin, if you like 2Kforums, that's cool, but don't leave a great CivRev board, I think having a good base on several boards is to all of our benefits.

Top Bottom