CivScale: Graphics Scaling Tool

Thanks ColdFever for posting this scaling tool. It even works with Warlords but with one exception.

Has anyone noticed that you can no longer do scaling with civ running as Warlords? CivIV used to dynamically update unit scale when you return the focus to the game after making changes, but with Warlords you have to shut it down and restart. This contradicts the documentation within the GlobalDefines XML which says it should still be dynamic.

I don't think it is anything to do with your utility though Coldfever. I wonder what it is?

glider1 said:
CivIV used to dynamically update unit scale when you return the focus to the game after making changes, but with Warlords you have to shut it down and restart...I don't think it is anything to do with your utility though Coldfever. I wonder what it is?
You are correct, CivScale just manipulates the XML files and can't be the reason for any new XML reading algorithm, so your question only can be answered by the Civ4 developers. I would recommend setting Civ4 vanilla via the comfortable comparison possibility to the values you like, CivScale then gives Warlords the same settings too.

The exceptions are some Warlords scenarios, where Firaxis did decide to apply custom scalings, like the ChineseUnification scenario. Here CivScale does not work, because Firaxis' custom scenario settings have higher priority than the basic game settings CivScale is able to modify.

civscale doesnt work for me :( it seems to modify the files, but the changes are not visible ? any suggestions ? im playing Total realism 2.0..

1st off would like to thank the creator for this mod, its been gr8ly needed. Performance wise I run Civ4 fine, but Im running on a Nvidea 6800XT to a HDTV thru DVI. Im running at HDTV mode 1080i at 1712x928 resolution & the game looks simply incredible graphics & performance wise but the text has been damn near blinding me & unreadable sometimes & I have to get up & closely examine important text most of the time & that has hampered some enjoyment of the game for me.

I do havea question maybe some1 here would know. Im running Warlords now but even in Vanilla Civ4, i was never able to run the game in 720p format. I read somewhere on this forum that a few ppl said its simply impossible for w/e reason but Jman posted back in December that he runs to an HDTV at 1440x960, which disputes that as I think thats 720p HDTV default resolution if Im not mistaken. It is for ES4 Oblivion. Newayz, thanks again & the rest of the features have been helpful as well, gr8 work.

Subaru WrXxX said:
...Im running on a Nvidea 6800XT to a HDTV thru DVI. Im running at HDTV mode 1080i at 1712x928 resolution... i was never able to run the game in 720p format. I read somewhere on this forum that a few ppl said its simply impossible for w/e reason but Jman posted back in December that he runs to an HDTV at 1440x960, which disputes that as I think thats 720p HDTV default resolution if Im not mistaken.

720p means 1280x720. This is impossible for Civ4, because the minimum display resolution is 1024x768. So you need a display with a vertical minimum of 768 pixels, 720 pixels is not enough. But there is no problem with most low and midrange HDTV Widescreen LCD TVs, as these have 1366x768 pixels and - connected to a Windows computer - should be working fine at 1360x768 pixels, giving a great Civ4 widescreen experience - unless the manufacturer made a mistake and applied too much overscan (what sometimes happens over DVI/HDMI, in this case using analog VGA can help).

This tool is very useful for me. though the improvement one doesnt appear to work. 0-10 exactly the same thing.... whats the deal?

Elit3 said:
...the improvement one doesnt appear to work. 0-10 exactly the same thing.... whats the deal?
I only use the scaling possibilities Firaxis supplies in the XML files - and it looks like some improvements are not affected by the general improvement scaling XML parameter. Sorry, I can't help here, this issue could be called a Civ4 bug and only Firaxis could help here. But I doubt that is issue is important enough for them, because it does not show up with regular settings.

Thanks for the reply. I understand. all though that makes me :(

Will this work with BtS and if I've added some of my own units? Also, could I just use it to remove clouds?
Sorry for the late answer, I didn't notice the question. CivScale 3.0 is compatible with BtS, and as CivScale uses a kind of master scale parameter Firaxis designed for units, so it should affect all custom units as well. And yes, you can use this tool to achieve invisible clouds.

Couple of quick questions:

I downloaded CivScale but was disappointed to see that it was an EXE file. I always prefer to install these things manually so that I can see exactly what's being changed.

1.) What does this file install, and where does it install it?
2.) Once installed, will it alter any of the XML files (i.e., if I play multiplayer, will everyone get a warning that I'm using a modified game)?
3.) Any reports of instability/crashes after installation?
4.) How do I uninstall it?

Thanks.

@jkp: just run the program.
It will answer all your questions and will only make changes with your approval.

It would be nice to have a Mac OS X compatible version of this. Or failing that, just know what files you're modifying and how.

Where's the cloud stuff?

-K

Sorry, I do not have a Mac. Most graphics changes are made via the files
Assets\XML\Misc\CIV4DetailManager.xml (Vanilla and Warlords)
and
Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Misc\CIV4DetailManager.xml (BtS).
The "cloud stuff" is in DF_SKY where you can adjust the cloud bottom (5000), cloud top (6400) and cloud strength (1.0).

this is nice.... like it and all but seeing firaxis forces me to use 1080 cause of no 720 it make this game useless to me... i mean yeah your program make text a little bigger but who sits one foot away from a 50 inch hdtv? im 10 feet away and cant read crap! maybe i need to sell my tv and get a million dollar monitor lol maybe in few years when every one has a hdtv firaxis will be force to make there games 720 compatible
i had issues with text size in world of warcraft but found a text scaler for that but at least i can play in 720 ... cause even with the scaler in 1080 its to small to read!

anywho the world isnt ready for hdtv i guess :(
just wondering if them game consoles that are hdtv compatible can read the text? cause i dont want to shell out big bucks to find im screwed like i am now:)

Top Bottom