Class action lawsuit

Interested in a class action suit against Take Two and/or Firaxis?

• Yes

Votes: 63 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 470 88.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrManganese

Chieftain
The gaming industry has been ripping people off for a couple of years now. TakeTwo & Firaxis have crossed a line, and I think it's time to make an example of them. Who's interested in seeing a class action lawsuit against TakeTwo and/or Firaxis?

Please tell me you're not serious. To sue you have to have incurred damages. What damages did you incur, the money you spent on the game? Sell it on eBay: no damages, no lawsuit.

i will agree that the bugs kinda suck, and its really frustrating, but still you cant honestly think to sue them for what? undue stress? lol. if anything mass petition them directly to make them listen. fix it or we wont buy whatever it is you make next.

It seems a large number of "bugs" are rendering the game totally unusable. This is a product that, for many people, is literally doing none of what it is supposed to do. If it were one game-breaking issue that would be one thing, but what we have here is an array of debilitating problems right out of the box. A quarter of the people in these forums are viewing technical support, in case you hadn't noticed. The fact is that developers are free to release a poor game, and the only impact it has is if they plan to make a sequel. Developers should be held accountable to produce a product that works. The pathetic threat that "We won't buy your future products" is ignored by developers, because where the individual may have learned his lesson, the collective has not. What recourse do gamers have, besides begging the local software store to accept a software return? I think a class action lawsuit is completely appropriate.

MrManganese, face it...

The people on these forums complaining about bugs are a fraction of the people who bought the game. MOST people who bought it are happily playing it right now. Suck it up, and learn your lesson: everybody is after your money.

How about for false advertising. Minimum reqs listed 256 MB RAM then after release it is changed to 512 MB for windows xp
i dont have 512 and I would not have bought the game if the minimums were 512. Also the minimum reqs are the same as pirates yet the terrain shows up in pirates. Pirates works. Intentionally or not Firaxis and Take 2 sold something that does not work as promised.

i dont mean to be a dinkus, but.. what exactly would you intend to sue them for? what sort of renumeration would one expect, beyond that of the purchase price of the game? i didnt mean to threaten them, although i see how you could take my post that way, all im saying is before people run to lawyers over a faulty computer game... try it a more diplomatic way, if everyone who had an issue emailed, called, or wrote a letter the the president or who ever, you may be surprised. that and how long has it been, we dont really know (or alteast i dont) if they are frantically working on the issues right now! i am aware that they are being less than forthcoming when it comes to announcing the problems publically (presumably out of fear of hurting initial sales) which isnt cool.
i dont really know where im goin with all this. i think sueing is a little excessive, and tho we are all pi**ed off, there are steps we can all take before jumping the gun.

thanks for lettin me rant :D

I wish I had a dollar for every time I read about someone wanting to start a class action lawsuit because their game didn't work. I would be rich!

I'm curious to know how many of these lawsuits really happen.

Now that the fanboys have leapt at the opportunity to quell this discussion, I'd like to invite everyone else to speak up a bit. Over 50% of the respondants have, after all, responded in the affirmative. Naturally we couldn't ask for anything more than the price of the game in return.. this sort of lawsuit isn't awarding punitive damages, like so many others. It would just seek to reclaim the money that was unreasonably collected for a product that should not have been on the market. Each of us may think that $50 isn't worth the money to file a lawsuit, but I guarantee that Firaxis and Take Two believe ripping us off is worth the millions of dollars they are currently collecting. We don't have to let them take advantage of people. This was not an accident on their part - someone made the conscious decision to release a broken game, and they should not be rewarded for it. In order for justice to be served, the people must be refunded.

I'm a long-time gamer, and I've witnessed the decline of the industry. I think it is worth the effort to fight a single court battle on behalf of a large number of people, even for such a small amount of money, if it sends the message that this sort of bad business will not be tolerated.

lol I know, I know. I am finding this thread funny personally. Even if you sue all you can sue for is the amount of money you lost, which is what return policies are for. So even if you win you are suing to return your game and get your money back.

Unless you somehow get a cool judge to grant you more money on the premise you suffered trauma from the game not working and it screwed you up in the head, but even then, you were pretty messed up before hand anyways, and worse off now. And he will sentence you to theropy, so you will actually have to lose around 1000 bucks even if you win. LMAO

.... sueing?... Oh yeah, sure, but you're paying for the lawyers.
(I voted NO)

Well, I guess this will make me a "fanboy", but I don't have any issues with the game (and hey, I have an ATI card) ... it works out of the box. By now I played about 20 hours, and not a single crash, no slow-downs, no sound skips. Compared to other games I played this year (most notably Dungeon Lords), this is a solid release. I don't doubt that other people experience trouble, and I understand the frustration ... but honestly, a class action lawsuit because a video game doesn't work for you? It's just a bit of an overkill. Take the game back, wait for a patch, or see if you can tweak your computer a little. Like I said, I'm not wanting to play down your frustration, but well, keep things in perspective.

well a class action lawsuit of this nature could/should include punatie damages as well as recouperatory damages (ha ha... big words.) Basically the point of it would be to show the game devs that they cant just jerk us around by releasing a product that doesnt do what is promised, and to hit them where it hurts: shareholder's pocketbooks.

In this case i am against it tho because im sure that the game works as promised ofr a vast majority of people who have/will purchase it in the future. This would be like suing ford because a large number of people who bought a GT are too tall to drive in comfortably. Its not unheard of in this day and age, but it doesnt make it any less stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom