Classic Civ2's music

Jari_86

Chieftain
I've been playing Civ2 since 1998 and been browsing these magnificent forums for a long time, too. I don't know how it took so long from me to join the community. :lol:

I think the CD music of Civ2 is phenomenal. It has loads of themes for ancient cultures and very beautiful suites, like "Shining Bath". It's honestly the best game music I've ever come across. It's so good actually, that after buying MGE to replace Classic, I put the Classic's CD into my CD changer. :) IMHO MGE's music was worse compared to the original, which let me down a bit.

Does anyone else agree with me on this and do you know any artists, who have performed similar-kind of music? I'm the process of finding ancient Egyptian, Eastern etc. music. Both your opinions and help concerning finding this kind of great background music is very appreciated. :goodjob:

Jari_86 said:
I think the CD music of Civ2 is phenomenal. It has loads of themes for ancient cultures and very beautiful suites, like "Shining Bath". It's honestly the best game music I've ever come across. It's so good actually, that after buying MGE to replace Classic, I put the Classic's CD into my CD changer. :) IMHO MGE's music was worse compared to the original, which let me down a bit.

Does anyone else agree with me on this and do you know any artists, who have performed similar-kind of music? I'm the process of finding ancient Egyptian, Eastern etc. music. Both your opinions and help concerning finding this kind of great background music is very appreciated. :goodjob:
I wish I knew of more music like this. I love the Civ 2 melodies! :)

Some of them are actually new versions of the music from Civ 1. In fact, the theme music for India is much better in Civ1 than Civ 2; I find the Civ 2 version rather whiny and annoying, but it's so cheerful in the original version!

My favorite part of the Civ 2 music is the China theme; I like to hum it along with the CD. :D

Your best bet to find similar music would be in the "World Music" section of whatever music stores you have in your area. It isn't even necessary to understand the words, if the melody is enjoyable. Of course, you might want to avoid music that makes you want to dance; it's a bit difficult to dance and play Civ at the same time. ;)

Jari 86 - Welcome to another CivII Fanatic!

Some investigation has been done on the specific pieces used (or "inspired from") for the Wonder movie themes, see this link:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=512

I have not seen a listing of the tribe's music, that might be interesting to research if it is not already documented somewhere.

The Person - the spaceship landing music is "Also Sprach Zarathustra", by Strauss, which was chosen by Kubrick as the main theme for "2001: A Space Odyssey". There are dozens of different orchestral variations available.

Thanks for your help and opinions, guys.

Thanks, ElephantU. I'm sure I'm gonna have a great time here.:)

Yesterday I bought online a 2 CD-set called "Pharaoh: Sound of Mystery", which has ancient Egyptian-style of music. Can't wait to get it. I'm definitely gonna look for more world music later on.

Another thing, I ordered Civ4 today. Somehow I'm 100% certain I still keep playing Civ2 more than Civ4 despite all of its fancy features. It's great to see I'm not the only one.:D

On a slightly related note: I bought a mobile phone with mp3 ringtones just so I could have the music from the JS Bach's Cathedral movie as my ringtone. Something I've been longing for since I got my first mobile.

Not sure why anyone would care, but anyway.

Jari_86 said:
I think the CD music of Civ2 is phenomenal.

Yeah, it's well done. Therapeutic even. (Though sometimes, with sound effects on, Howitzers are music for ears. ;))

The Person said:
On a related note, what is the piece of music in the AC landing movie called, and who made it?

I'm guessing that -- at the very least -- it's been long time since you've seen "2001: A Space Odyssey." I'd recommend renting the DVD. (Most people recognize the work as the theme to the movie; The Pachyderm Emeritus reminds us that the work is far older ... :goodjob:)

Ren said:
On a slightly related note: I bought a mobile phone with mp3 ringtones just so I could have the music from the JS Bach's Cathedral movie as my ringtone. Something I've been longing for since I got my first mobile.

Not sure why anyone would care, but anyway.

Actually, I do. When it comes to classical music, I'm bit weary of anything before Beethoven (and yes, that includes a lot of Mozart and Bach, among others). So, what is the tune in question? Water Music, maybe???

Maybe when Civ V comes out, they'll have the opening aria from Adams's "Nixon in China" ...

ElephantU said:
The Person - the spaceship landing music is "Also Sprach Zarathustra", by Strauss, which was chosen by Kubrick as the main theme for "2001: A Space Odyssey". There are dozens of different orchestral variations available.
Thanks! I just love that track.

Andu Indorin said:
I'm guessing that -- at the very least -- it's been long time since you've seen "2001: A Space Odyssey." I'd recommend renting the DVD. (Most people recognize the work as the theme to the movie; The Pachyderm Emeritus reminds us that the work is far older ... :goodjob:)
I actually own the DVD, and I recognized that track from Civ2 and was wondering if Sid had lifted it from the movie...

BTW, while trying out Civ3 and 4 I recognized some Civ2 music as well in a few places. Seems like Sid likes tradition.

Andu Indorin said:
Actually, I do. When it comes to classical music, I'm bit weary of anything before Beethoven (and yes, that includes a lot of Mozart and Bach, among others). So, what is the tune in question? Water Music, maybe???

Someone said on here a while back that it's Tocatta & Fugue In D Minor. And I think they were right, there's a part in that piece that sounds pretty much the same.

Anyway I just recorded straight from the wonder movie and then transferred the mp3 to my phone :)

Yeah, I've long since lost my original Civ 2 CD. I still have my Civ2 Multiplayer CD (they never released MGE here), but it doesn't have the music.

I was trying to find the soundtrack online so I could put it on my mp3 player - anyone know where I could find it?

(Hopefully this doesn't violate forum rules; it's not like the soundtrack can be actually bought any more, anyway.)

Alot of the Civ 2 soundtracts sound pentatonic too me, so if you like that folky kind of music, you might enjoy the sounds of the hungarian composers Kodaly or Bartok (i love BTW) (has classical haero had bartok on his avatar yet?)(sorry 4 the brackets)

Ya I love them also I basicly stoped playing civ 2 after i lost the disc but after I found it again for cheap $2 I been playing like crazy.

Top Bottom