College Football 2009

I think the SEC has a great shot at taking Florida State, Miami, and maybe Georgia Tech and Clemson and eviscerate the ACC. The ACC might fall apart or 'move north' absorbing the Big East leftovers that the Big 10 didn't want.

Everyone assumes this but why? Why does the SEC have a "great shot" at taking those schools? I don't think they do. Miami has already turned down the SEC when Arkansas joined in favor of going to the Big East. Now that it is in a much more prestigious conference academically and makes nearly as much off the TV contract, what incentive does it have to move? I'm almost certain they turn down any invitation. Florida State is in the same boat as Miami, they also said 'no thanks back in 1990' and are now apart of a more prestigious academic conference that pays almost as well.

Clemson is a school that might listen to the SEC calls, but it's a founding member of the ACC. It will have to ask itself if breaking all it's traditions and attachments to a more prestigious academic conference is worth about $3 million more per year...I really doubt they can say yes, especially if Miami and FSU have already said no.

That leaves Georgia Tech, the most likely of all the schools to accept an invitation, mainly due to its past affiliation with the SEC. So that makes one...possibly.

Having to play Tech probably.

One good win in a decade (followed by the more Tech-esque 60-something beating from OU) and Tech fans get a big head :lol:

But please, regale me with tales of the '07 Insight Bowl and the '04 Holiday Bowl again. I would love to see Tech in the Mega Super Pac 16.

That looks very promising, but the end of the article left me a bit depressed. UT still wants to try and keep a weak Big 12 together so it can get it's own network, like it's Notre Dame or something. Hopefully it sees the logic of jumping ship to a real conference once everyone else starts doing the same.

I am so tired of the Big 12. Mediocre academics, mediocre football, mediocre basketball.

One good win in a decade (followed by the more Tech-esque 60-something beating from OU) and Tech fans get a big head :lol:

But please, regale me with tales of the '07 Insight Bowl and the '04 Holiday Bowl again. I would love to see Tech in the Mega Super Pac 16.
I'm just saying that we are talking about an athletic conference, so getting all worked up that the third state school in a large state might get into your confeence seems kind of silly. I apologize that Tech hasn't had the losing seasons in the Big 12 that Texas and Oklahoma have. And you are right, Tech has had only one good win this decade - the Holiday Bowl vs. Cal.

Edit: Plus, the academic snobs should be insulted about having to share a campus with students that wouldn't normally be admitted to their institution before going off on a snobfest about their athletic competition. If your athletes don't have to meet the same high quality standards as your non-athletes, then the academic quality of your conference mates shouldn't really be an issue.

I'm just saying that we are talking about an athletic conference, so getting all worked up that the third state school in a large state might get into your confeence seems kind of silly. I apologize that Tech hasn't had the losing seasons in the Big 12 that Texas and Oklahoma have. And you are right, Tech has had only one good win this decade - the Holiday Bowl vs. Cal.

Texas is being a little hardheaded in its dealings on conference expansion/dissolution so far, I agree.

And your right, Tech is a shining beacon of mediocrity in the conference of mediocrity. That was under an actual GOOD coach, an offensive genius. Now Tech is even more nondescript. It needs to get into a conference like the Ultra Gigantor Pac 16 even more than UT.

Edit: Plus, the academic snobs should be insulted about having to share a campus with students that wouldn't normally be admitted to their institution before going off on a snobfest about their athletic competition. If your athletes don't have to meet the same high quality standards as your non-athletes, then the academic quality of your conference mates shouldn't really be an issue.

I agree, but I mainly want Texas to join the Pac-10/Big 10 because the football is better and the tradition is stronger. Being associated with smarter schools is just icing on the cake. Plus, the UT system (and other universities in the state) are all going through budget cuts, they all could use a revenue boost.

I think it is a good move to allow USC to take Baylor's place in the Big 12 South. Not sure if accepting Colorado and the other Pac-1 schools as part of the deal is worth it. Ditching the Big 12 North is certainly an improvement.

So some interesting developments today in response to the Pac-10 move - the Big 10 apparently has offered Notre Dame, with Notre Dame's asked for stipulation that it be the only school that the Big 10 takes in the near future in conference expansion. Notre Dame basically has to decide very fast - or the Big 10 will likely move on Missouri and Nebraska before the Big 12's deadline for them to declare their intentions.

The Pac 10 can stay ahead of the curve if it invites Utah and Colorado to join right now. If Notre Dame acquieses to the Big 10, then the Pac-10 and Big-10 will both become 12 team conferences and the Big 12 will be only a little worse for the wear. But if Notre Dame doesn't accept, the Big 10 will swallow Nebraska and Missouri and the Pac-10 will be free to move on Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State - offers that they'd be forced to take even with Texas Legislature harrassment because the Big 12 is gone without Nebraska. Giant middle finger to Texan politicians, mediocre academics, and Tech and Baylor in particular.

the Pac-10 will be free to move on Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State - offers that they'd be forced to take even with Texas Legislature harrassment because the Big 12 is gone without Nebraska. Giant middle finger to Texan politicians, mediocre academics, and Tech and Baylor in particular.
The state legislature can block Texas and A & M from moving and can offer its 4 team package to the SEC. The Pac 10 will take Tech just to cut a deal in this fast-moving environment. Baylor v. Colorado is the real sticking point. The Pac 10 would rather take Colorado, but may take Baylor if that is what it takes to get a deal done quickly.

Everyone assumes this but why? Why does the SEC have a "great shot" at taking those schools? I don't think they do. Miami has already turned down the SEC when Arkansas joined in favor of going to the Big East. Now that it is in a much more prestigious conference academically and makes nearly as much off the TV contract, what incentive does it have to move? I'm almost certain they turn down any invitation. Florida State is in the same boat as Miami, they also said 'no thanks back in 1990' and are now apart of a more prestigious academic conference that pays almost as well.

Clemson is a school that might listen to the SEC calls, but it's a founding member of the ACC. It will have to ask itself if breaking all it's traditions and attachments to a more prestigious academic conference is worth about $3 million more per year...I really doubt they can say yes, especially if Miami and FSU have already said no.

That leaves Georgia Tech, the most likely of all the schools to accept an invitation, mainly due to its past affiliation with the SEC. So that makes one...possibly.

It's also worth noting that expansion is mostly important for the TV revenue, and none of those schools really increase the SEC's footprint significantly. I do worry about the ACC though; I think we have the worst expansion prospects if everyone decides to go to 16 teams.

The state legislature can block Texas and A & M from moving and can offer its 4 team package to the SEC. The Pac 10 will take Tech just to cut a deal in this fast-moving environment. Baylor v. Colorado is the real sticking point. The Pac 10 would rather take Colorado, but may take Baylor if that is what it takes to get a deal done quickly.

Tech is a glorified JC. Why would the Pac-10 take them?

It's also worth noting that expansion is mostly important for the TV revenue, and none of those schools really increase the SEC's footprint significantly. I do worry about the ACC though; I think we have the worst expansion prospects if everyone decides to go to 16 teams.

I would say the SEC is worse off than the ACC realistically if the PAC 16 happens. That closes off the western and most profitable expansion option for the SEC, leaving the possibility of some combination of the following 4 to be picked:

First two: North Carolina, Duke, NC State
Second Two: Virginia, Maryland, Virginia Tech, West Virginia

This expansion doesn't happen if North Carolina says no (which it probably will). That leaves the SEC with only the FSU/Miami option which doubtfully would anything to increase revenue and might cause a decrease.

The ACC however, as long as it doesn't get picked off has some solid choices to make an expansion from. Syracuse and Pitt are near locks, as well as UConn. That leaves one spot from Louisville (the #1 school in basketball revenue), West Virginia (great athletically, but questionable academics), Cincinnati, Rutgers (if the Big10 doesn't snatch them up), South Florida (solidifying their Florida presence with one of the 3 Flagship Schools in Florida). Overall, the ACC is in about as stable a position as one could be with not being one of the big 3 (SEC, Big10, Pac10).

USC sanction rumors flying: most probable scenario is a two year bowl ban and about 20 scholarships taken away. USC will appeal but as a worst case scenario it's not awful... USC isn't going to be competing for the national title in the next two years anyway.

AP is reporting Colorado has officially accepted the Pac-10 invitation to join the conference.

The next domino has fallen...Boise State to the Mountain West Conference, starting play in 2011.

Nebraska official...now the eyes are upon Texas. The Big 10 is in negotiations with Texas, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, & Missouri for membership.

This is truly exciting to see unfold.

Where does that come from? Joe Schad is reporting that Texas et. al. are headed for the Pac 10. Not that ESPN is always right or anything--and the source goes unnamed--but it's on their front page and one of their main reporters was willing to put his name on it, which is more than we can say for most of the nonsense that's being bandied about.

Top Bottom