College Football 2009

Where does that come from? Joe Schad is reporting that Texas et. al. are headed for the Pac 10. Not that ESPN is always right or anything--and the source goes unnamed--but it's on their front page and one of their main reporters was willing to put his name on it, which is more than we can say for most of the nonsense that's being bandied about.

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?SID=901&fid=57&style=2&tid=143839427&Page=1

Everything that ESPN has reported has come from the Texas rivals site (Chip Brown, who is a mouthpiece for Texas AD Dodds).

But what most don't realize (and ESPN sure as hell isn't going to try to report) is that this whole conference realignment is a gigantic game of chess.

Stoked about Nebraska. Notre Dame would be nice, but I'm tired of waiting on them. Texas would be fantastic, but probably unlikely.

That's why it's just talk.

If that's the case, I can't see the legislature not making accommodations.

Texas stays, the Big 12 survives. Shall we trade names? Don Beebe must be mightily stunned.

Texas stays, the Big 12 survives. Shall we trade names? Don Beebe must be mightily stunned.

No, I think they're going to rename the conference "Texas and Friends."

The glory of naming conferences after the number of schools:
  • Big 12 will have 10 teams
  • Big 10 will have 12 teams
  • Pac 10 will have 11 teams

Losing teams from the Big 12 North improves both the Big 12 and the conferences that took the departing teams.

How in the world does losing Nebraska (one of the big 3 of the Big12) & Colorado help the Big 12?

Losing Colorado was certainly an improvement - they can joing USC in the parolee division of the Pac-1. Nebraska has slipped in football, and despite recently resurging, calling them one of the "Big 3" is a stretch given that the Big 2 are obviously Texas and Oklahoma and Nebraska is 0-4 against Texas Tech in their last 4 meetings, 1-3 against Oklahoma State in their last 4 meetings and even lost to Texas A&M in their last meeting. I'm sure they will fare better in the Big 10 which is more on level with the Big 12 North than the Big 12 South. Probably capable of knocking off Appalachian State anyway.

They are a non-entity in basketball (same for Colorado).

Women's volleyball - well yes, the Big 10 robbed the Big 12 there.

Colorado didn't hurt the Big 12, but Nebraska undeniably did. That's a very valuable brand, nationally.

The real loser is the Pac 10 though. Ouch. On the verge of being the top conference in the country money wise, only to end up with just Colorado.

lolwut?

Pretty sure Nebraska wouldn't deny themselves money because they don't like UT....

I don't think Nebraska was a big fan of unequal revenue sharing. The new deal the Big 12 seems to be moving towards favours Texas and Oklahoma by ~$5m a year. The conference was also one of majority rule so it's not as if Nebraska had the power to block the agreement.

Losing teams from the Big 12 North improves both the Big 12 and the conferences that took the departing teams.

I'm not buying this. Now the Big 12 North is absolutely pathetic. Who is the top team? The powerhouse? Kansas? Mizzou? Oh can't wait for that storied K-State - Iowa State rivalry next year.

This conference is pathetic. Texas has absolutely nothing to whine about if they go undefeated and get shut out from the NCG again. Join the Pac 10 and the potential for an 'SC or Cal or Stanford rivalry, the Pac 10 network, etc would have been plenty to eclipse the few more million dollars UT gets from the new truncated Big 12.

Who the hell is going to want to watch this conference? Who is going to watch a UT network? It's basically Texas, OU, and everyone else. It was barely hanging on when Nebraska was in the North.

I am completely apathetic towards the season now. Whatever UT, go swim in your Big 12 money.

Join the Pac 10 and the potential for an 'SC or Cal or Stanford rivalry
Basically, you're saying Texas should have gone for the UT-Stanford rivalry over the UT-Oklahoma one.

Basically, you're saying Texas should have gone for the UT-Stanford rivalry over the UT-Oklahoma one.

Where Texas goes, OU follows. Texas could pick and choose its rivals. They already had perhaps the best college football game of all time against 'SC in 2006. There is the natural rivalry between California and Texas as states plus the home and home scheduled a few months ago.

But no, we get OU, A&M, and I dunno...Rice and UTEP to fill out our non conference schedule. It would basically be sacrificing A&M for 'SC, Cal, or Stanford. I would take that trade any day of the week, even if it means many more losses.

You do realize that since the Big 12 only has 10 teams there isn't going to be a North and South, right?

I'm not buying this. Now the Big 12 North is absolutely pathetic.
The North was pathetic before. Colorado was bad. In the past several years, Nebraska has at about A&M's level, the 5th best team in the South. Shedding Northern teams is good for the conference. Somebody please take the rest of them.

And please - the Pac 10 is now nothing. They were pretty much considered the Pac-1 before USC got neutered. Cal is habitually overrated. Stanford has done what exactly? The only danger USC faces with the rest of conference play is the effects of binging on cupcakes. Texas would have no problem sweeping the Pac-10 if the other South teams did not follow.

Top Bottom