Comfirmed FIX for Crashes and Reboots! (ATI Cards)

vodkamattvt

Chieftain
Confirmed by me at least. I had frequent reboots and crashes (rarer in early games and smaller games, but very common in late games and large games). I had originally been playing with Catalyst 5.6 (on a 9700 pro if you must know). I upgraded to 5.10 (latest) and had the same issues. Not only this, but updating to 5.10 seemed to destroy my DoD source framerates.

What I was experiencing : Crashes, Random Reboots, Wonder Movie Video/Audio stuttering, Crashes when Accessing Advisors, Sluggist Play after Diplomacy

What the following has fixed : Everything above, from what I see in a very late game Old World/New World map (apparently the largest map civ4 has). I will update this if any problems resurface, but after a few hours with no problems, I think it is finally good.

Long story short. There are two things that I did between having the problem and not. FORGET ABOUT THE "LATEST AND GREATEST" DRIVERS at least for ATI.

1. Install the latest and greatest drivers for your AGP chipset on your motherboard, for me it was VIA (I dont think this matters much, but I figured I would put it as something I did between it working and not for the sake of completeness). This step is most likely optional, just installing the below driver seems to stop crashes/reboots

Link : http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

2. Install Catalyst 4.12 - This is the major point! Catalyst 4.12's have gained fame for their stability and speed. They fixed all my Civ4 problems, as well as improved my Source engine speeds by 10-20 fps. Also it fixes crashes in WoW in certain spots and dungeons that people experience with ATI cards.

You can find the drivers by using google. I believe I got them off Fileshack. You are welcome to find a suitable mirror. FYI though, there was 4.12 betas released too. Make sure you get the official 4.12's, the betas might work, but the officials is what Im using.

Link : http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=5984

Also note that I have a Radeon 9700 Pro. I did not have the loading bug (where you have to unpack that thing). I also run under 1600x1200 and have tolerable framerates, but no crashes. So if you run lower resolutions your results may be even better. Also note that the latest drivers are probably geared towards higher end ATI cards ... thus rolling back to these may affect your performance if you have a higher end ATI card. However, on the other hand most of the posts I read about problems in Civ4 had low end cards so I hope this helps everyone out.

Let me know if it works!

edit : Added links!

Any confirmation of this? I will try it but won't have time until later in the weekend... Plus I have an AIW so this driver pack will be a headache to install (predates the all included driver file--there are like 5 things I gotta install...).

Jeff3F said:
Any confirmation of this? I will try it but won't have time until later in the weekend... Plus I have an AIW so this driver pack will be a headache to install (predates the all included driver file--there are like 5 things I gotta install...).

No worries. I have an All in Wonder too. It appears not to affect the Multimedia Center applications. TV and DVD apps tested and work fine, sound and video. I left everything installed from the latest release of Catalyst all included, uninstalled the Control Center, uninstalled the display driver, rebooted, installed 4.12, rebooted and then everything works like a charm.

I'm a little confused. I thought Catalyst was ATI's driver manager.

VIA makes main boards. Who made your video card?

alamo said:

Via made my AGP chipset (ie the AGP drivers for my motherboard). ATI made my graphics card. Ill make it more clear in my post.

Thanks for posting this! Installing 4.12 has done the trick for me. I'm able to load and play games that were immediately crashing on me with Catalyst 5.10.

P4 2.4GHz
Windows XP SP2
1GB RAM
ATI All-In-Wonder 9600XT

For sure,thanks alot for the info...I was able to play for a while with no ctd!

There are no new updates for my chipset drivers so I just used the ati drivers (9800 pro here)

I will be playing some more in a bit..if I have more random ctd I will post.

thanks again! :goodjob:

I can confirm this at least lets me to raise my AGP speed back to 2x like it's supposed to be and there's no more cheshire leaders...

Still doesn't fix the washed out textures and black triangled water on my Radeon 7500 though. :( Oh well.. thanks anyway.

alamo said:

Catalyst is the name given ATI's driver software series. The "driver manager" can be either the Control Panel, aka CP, or the Catalyst Control Center, aka CCC. The CP is simpler and a bit less trouble-prone. The CCC requires the MS .NET Framework to function and is the "next generation" driver manager...some don't care for it.
The 4.12 drivers are still available from www.ati.com. You have to do some navigation deeper than the "recent" drivers to reach them.

Ok, thanks.

I was a bit confused by the Catalyst page.

I'll just go get the 4.12 version now.

Installed omega_2597a (omega catalyst 4.12 official), though I could play before these drivers. I had pretty random CTDs, but atleast with these drivers the gameplay is a lot better performance wise.

Still have to play more to say anything for the CTDs. Atleast it looks promising. Oh and I wouldn't bother to make a new thread for this possibly old movie so I'll just post a link in here. It's hilarious:

http://www.civanon.org/main.html

Using Catalyst 4.12 with my ATI AIW 9600 Pro did the trick. No more crash, no more wonder movie that stutter.

I updated my motherboard chipset a few days ago (when I started playing Civ IV) but that didn't solve anything on set up.

Thanks for the tip. :goodjob:

Éric

YOU ARE A STUD! I"M EVEN ABLE TO PLAY HUGE MAPS - just finished game - space race victory in 1897 with 18 civs on huge map.

4.12 does solve wonder or end movie stutters but rest of game is flawless....not a single CTD!!

I set AGP to 0x (off) and had no BSOD or crash after 12h play on huge map.

ATI 9550
5.10a driver

I installed the Catalyst 4.12 (have a Radeon 9800 Pro) and it seems to have fixed the problem. Haven't had any crashes since AND the loading times of savegames has reduced from about 8 minutes to about half a minute.

Had been unplayable on huge maps for me.

Thanks a ton! :goodjob:

jomorisin said:
greeeaaaat, now what about those of us with PCI cards?

Ignore the AGP thing, Im guessing rolling back the drivers to 4.12 would work for PCI cards as well. But then again, I have no way of knowing ... good luck!

OK, had the same problems as everyone else (see "Game suddenly crashes" thread...). I downgraded to Catalyst 4.12 and so far it's looking good...played my saved game from ~1610 to 1780 and have had no crash so far, works like a charm. Let's hope it stays that way! Thank you so far, I'll post my experiences as I continue playing.

Yours
Markus

I havne't played the game long enough to test the CTDs and reboots, but so far this has NOT improved my load times or game lag at all. Oh, well, guess I'll still have to wait for a good patch or a new computer.

ATI 9600 Pro
Catalyst 4.12

EDIT Update: Ok, on medium setting and 1024x768 res, it fixed teh movie stuttering. Time to bump those settings up and try playing the game for a long time. Thanks for the help, even if it doesn't improve lag, but stops the crashing, I'll be happier.

EDIT2: The stuttering movie fix might also be do to the fact I changed my anti-aliasing from 2 to 0 as stated in this thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=137002
I won't get a chance to test CTDs and reboots untill tonight.

Top Bottom