Comings, Goings and New Arrivals 0x0A: Hasta La Vista, or Welcome Back. I Guess it Depends...

Perfection had (Vegeta voice) OVER TEN THOUSAND posts at the time. I remember that Thunderfall threatened to manually set his postcount back to 0.

Anyway… ben tornato. :hatsoff:

Hi Everyone

Two days into my 2 week long vacation I got an unexpected call, during the very first hike I was doing with a friend. We were basically in the middle of nowhere. My father had a heart attack while driving back home from a camping trip, the car ended up in a ditch. My mom was in the car but was not physically hurt.. although she is still in shock I think.

We all rushed to the hospital my dad was being treated in as fast as we could.. Luckily my friend was able to drive me to a place where my sister and her husband (and the rest of their family) could pick me up, on their way to the hospital (I got there via train initially, and like I said this was basically in the middle of nowhere)

We spent 3 days and 2 nights in the hospital and my dad was in a very rough condition but we always had hope.

He ended up passing away on August 17th at 1:20pm, right after my mom, my sisters, me, my mom's sister, and her husband completed saying a set of rosary prayers for him, kneeling around the bed. It was like he was waiting for that last prayer, before he passed. That gave us some comfort, although in the grand scheme of things we were inconsolable.. Since then we have been keeping ourselves busy planning the funeral and making sure everything is done the way my dad would have wanted.

I will probably not be around here for a while, but I don't really know. After the funeral I will have to look after my mom and make sure she's okay. I might move in with her for a while, but like I said, I don't really know what's going to happen. I already told work that I will likely need some time off after this is all finished. It will never really feel finished, but on friday we will not have anything to focus on in terms of planning.. That's when I will have to take some time to grieve. I have not had any time to do that.

If you would like to read the obituary, you can do so here.

I have already been receiving tons of messages of support, thoughts, and prayers, and it's been tough to keep up with it all during everything else happening.. So please accept my thanks in advance, as I might not be around much here over the next couple weeks, to respond.

I am sorry. Grieve as you must. :(

Warpus, I am so sorry to hear this. It's so hard to lose beloved parents. From what you've told us over the years, your dad was a wonderful person.

:hug:

Hi Everyone

Two days into my 2 week long vacation I got an unexpected call, during the very first hike I was doing with a friend. We were basically in the middle of nowhere. My father had a heart attack while driving back home from a camping trip, the car ended up in a ditch. My mom was in the car but was not physically hurt.. although she is still in shock I think.

We all rushed to the hospital my dad was being treated in as fast as we could.. Luckily my friend was able to drive me to a place where my sister and her husband (and the rest of their family) could pick me up, on their way to the hospital (I got there via train initially, and like I said this was basically in the middle of nowhere)

We spent 3 days and 2 nights in the hospital and my dad was in a very rough condition but we always had hope.

He ended up passing away on August 17th at 1:20pm, right after my mom, my sisters, me, my mom's sister, and her husband completed saying a set of rosary prayers for him, kneeling around the bed. It was like he was waiting for that last prayer, before he passed. That gave us some comfort, although in the grand scheme of things we were inconsolable.. Since then we have been keeping ourselves busy planning the funeral and making sure everything is done the way my dad would have wanted.

I will probably not be around here for a while, but I don't really know. After the funeral I will have to look after my mom and make sure she's okay. I might move in with her for a while, but like I said, I don't really know what's going to happen. I already told work that I will likely need some time off after this is all finished. It will never really feel finished, but on friday we will not have anything to focus on in terms of planning.. That's when I will have to take some time to grieve. I have not had any time to do that.

If you would like to read the obituary, you can do so here.

I have already been receiving tons of messages of support, thoughts, and prayers, and it's been tough to keep up with it all during everything else happening.. So please accept my thanks in advance, as I might not be around much here over the next couple weeks, to respond.

I'm very sorry to hear this. My mother also died a few weeks ago. But I have to feel that the shock of your loss is the greater, as mine was expected in an elderly person after a long illness.

Thanks for the thoughts and comments, it's greatly appreciated. We had the funeral yesterday and things feel a bit more final now, but today is the first day where there's.. nothing to do. So it feels really strange. I will need time to properly grieve this, but the shock of the way it happened and all the crying and hugging and everything that happened at and after the hospital, and then during funeral planning, that was a part of my grieving process... I guess. Now everything feels a lot different and I'm not sure what to make of it. I feel like I should be doing something. I am going out for lunch and heading over to my mom's to be with her and my sister(s) and other family members. Thanks again for the comments, I really appreciate it. One thing that's really helped us is seeing all the familiar faces, even if I did not talk to all of them, it helped to just see them. It also helped my mom to see how many people came out. Likewise, reading the comments here feels similarily theraputic. So thank you again. Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but initially I didn't know where else to post it, and I knew that I would not really be around much. Today I have a day where.. there's nothing to do, like I said... so I thought it was important to take some time to respond to some of th emessages i've been getting. I'll get through this, but for now my main focus and priority is on my mom. Thanks again

edit: I ended up walking to a pub I have never been to, and I have heard that my dad might have been there once. Right away I noticed that the music playing there was music my dad would have liked. It was like, his kind of rock, not acoustic and not fully soft, but not hard stuff either. It just seemed like his kind of stuff. Also the occasional country song, which he was into as well. I ended up eating the best soup I have had all year there, even told the waitress. Teared up a bit in the bathroom when I heard that breakfast club song come on.. But it felt like I walked to the right place, I will definitely go back. Then I walked to my mom's, and I guess there's still a lot to do! We need to make use of a lawyer, since a lot of stuff was in my dad's name only.. and deal with that. Also insurance for the car, death benefits via the government.. My brother in law mowed my mom's lawn, we all pitched together and cooked dinner together, so my mom wouldn't have to do anything, i took out the garbage and sorted the recycling, we cleaned up a bit. I will definitely be back there tomorrow to help out and offer my support and just my presence. Thanks for reading

Last edited:
My condolences, Warpus.

Maybe the site needs an "I've suffered a loss" thread, so there would be a place to post about such matters, and so all of us can offer our sympathy to fellow posters as they grieve.

Hi All,

slozenger / Abaddon / -🌟- etc signing off here. I was not sure if this is better in the Olive Branch Thread or here.. I think I'll post in both...

After such a long wait to get back on here, and with the excitement that brought.. sadly I have to say that the initial glow has gone. It is nice to see some familiar faces, but truly devastating that so many have gone, even more so that I have no way to contact a lot of them.

My life on CFC was time before social media.. and as a result, there are so many users I have no way of ever getting in contact with again. Users who touched my life, some with only a few hundred or maybe a thousand posts, most over a decade ago. It probably never mattered much to them, but I hope they have fond memories too. There are far too many to name, but I hope those who are still here know that they are a special part of my life, and I thank you for that. CFC is and always will be a huge chapter in my life. To the derision of my parents and countless partners you have persisted!

Civ3, Stories and Tales, DYOS, Site Feedback.. all areas of creation and joy that hooked me initially on the forum.

Sadly the pace of CFC has changed, and the flux and flow of new faces and ideas has ebbed. Almost every thread in OT is now a serialised thread many, many, many iterations in. I am no longer a child/teen/YA, trying to insist my opinion and viewpoint matters, I have matured into realising to live and let live. As a result, trying to find a fight in a gun/abortion/religion etc topic doesn't really entertain any more. Of my time here, I sincerely apologise to all those I may have offended and certainly to those I hurt in the past. There are a lot of gentle souls on CFC and as a teen I did not have enough compassion. It is exciting to see so many on a journey to accepting themselves. I am sorry if I was a bump in that journey.

As spamming, flaming, argumentative yoof, I want to also acknowledge all the moderators who have had to spend their own time "managing" me as a user. I salute your service. Again, a lot of the heavyweights don't appear to be on the forum any more.. but if you do pop by, sorry!

Beyond OT, my beloved NESing and Forum Games are dead, but what amazing joy they created while it was alive!

I find myself now only come back to check if its someone's birthday.. its nice to be wished happy birthday so I may continue to do this.

So thanks again to all of you.. it was a hell of a journey :old:

Best of luck my friend.

Now I gotta find that duct tape Valka hides around.
Sadly the pace of CFC has changed, and the flux and flow of new faces and ideas has ebbed. Almost every thread in OT is now a serialised thread many, many, many iterations in. I am no longer a child/teen/YA, trying to insist my opinion and viewpoint matters, I have matured into realising to live and let live. As a result, trying to find a fight in a gun/abortion/religion etc topic doesn't really entertain any more. Of my time here, I sincerely apologise to all those I may have offended and certainly to those I hurt in the past. There are a lot of gentle souls on CFC and as a teen I did not have enough compassion. It is exciting to see so many on a journey to accepting themselves. I am sorry if I was a bump in that journey.
This is what I have been feeling in recent years, though It's more of the toxic residue from the culture war. I've been finding more productive time participating in other fandoms on Reddit.

I do hope you still stick around and observe the DYOS thread.

I was just wondering where you’ve been, you paragon of OT. See you when and if!

Sup g

Vitun perrrrkele!

(moderators: I include the translation - it's Finnish for ‘long time no see’)
I see you're keeping on top of your Finnish! It's been absolute ages since I've dropped by here, already seen some familiar faces but hope everybody is well, given how things are.

I see you're keeping on top of your Finnish!
Of course I do! It is my way of the ninja.

Azash said:
It's been absolute ages since I've dropped by here, already seen some familiar faces but hope everybody is well, given how things are.
We're trudging along, at least. The forum's a minefield, but when was it ever not thus?

Top Bottom