Commanding Officers and Broader Alignment

Just wanted to say that I'm currently working on this for FfH2 41G.
I've updated it and I'm currently working out some kinks and then I will streamline the design some and finish up whatever is missing to make it "playable".

So expect a first version release pretty soon.

EDIT:
Oh, and I will probably be calling it "Field Marshals". Good name? I think it fits.

A bit updated screen. Some errors here which I've fixed since I took it, but you will have to make due with this :p

so, would a melee unit be more likely to train in formation tactics, a cavalry engineer more likely to train in harassment tactics, and an archer unit more likely to train in fortification tactics?

Also, would seige tactics for a melee unit be equivalent to bonus on city attack, like city raider?

Aren't there a good amount of minor leaders that could be used? I'm sure there is a list somewhere...

I started a new blog today, I will be posting previews from this mod and other stuff there.
You'll find it here: http://greyfox.me/

I'm also going to move my FfH comics there.

I updated the Arin Reylew graphics today

I'm going to post previews for a few more Field Marshals this week. My goal was one per day so I'll try to catch up some during the week. Posting two tomorrow and one each day after that, with two field marshals on one of the days. If I can keep this up I will try and do the same thing next week.

I'll also update all posts with links to the original art and name of the artist in the future.

If you got any links to nice pictures that might work for my mod that be great.

Wow, this looks like a lot of fun. I love customization and specialization. Do you have all of the ideas for the various field marshals all mapped out? From the looks of it, you are going to be creating at least one field marshal for each civilization and each religion, probably more. That is a lot. :eek: Could you create a few that are options only through random events or actions in game? Add a bit of a thrill when you finally get one.

Wow, this looks like a lot of fun. I love customization and specialization. Do you have all of the ideas for the various field marshals all mapped out? From the looks of it, you are going to be creating at least one field marshal for each civilization and each religion, probably more. That is a lot. :eek:

Yeah I've realized I will be creating lots of field marshals :D - and no I don't have them all mapped out yet. It's lot of design work which will probably require lots of testing by all you guys.

For the first version I intend to create 1 FM for every civilization and religion, plus a few extra free for alls. In the final version I expect there to be at least double that.

It might seem like a lot, but for any given game your choices between FMs will only be handful or two handfuls :p - since you are locked to your civilization and you will probably stick to one religion. So at any given time, in the final version you might have the choice between 2 (civilization) + 2 (religion) + 1 (Alignment) + X Free for alls (that might already be taken).

So 5 + X Field Marshals, where you probably want to invest in one for the benefits of an experienced Field Marshal. Add to the fact that they can die, and that if someone else is using the same religion they might snag a religious FM before you can. I think I might have 3 per religion where 1 require the shrine.

Could you create a few that are options only through random events or actions in game? Add a bit of a thrill when you finally get one.
Very good idea. I had plans for one FM that require an event, but that was an easter egg. :p
I will definately try make some Field Marshals require some events.
When you say actions, you mean like defeating Acheron, or destroying a civilization, etc? Had anything special in mind?

I definately still need ideas for Field Marshals, what their traits/abilities should do. And Pictures! I spend alot of time trying to find the perfect images for them. Also if you come up with ideas for traits, it helps if you suggest what the icon should look like, even more if you find some images that can be used. Even if only for reference or base.

And I need comments on the Field Marshals I've shown so far. Does their traits sound lame, extreme, too powerful, etc? You can post either here or in my blog, doesn't matter.

Do you think the AI is likely to be able to use this? I don't know much about the inner workings of the game but I would guess no.

I've programmed them to be able to.

The AI choose what Field Marshal to use (based on the ones that are available to them)
based on stuff like:
  • If they are already using one, it's less likely they will switch to another
  • They value how much experience their current FM has, as well as the one they are considering switching too (experience is kept, even that on the Field Marshal Unit)
  • They are less likely to switch when their strategy is peace
  • They value different Field Marshals depending on their current strategy
  • AI weights
  • Personal preference AI weights on the Leaders
  • Leader's favorite commander.
  • And a small amount of random value is added every time the AI considers to switch.

How well they use the unit itself is going to be up for testing, but should be similar to how well they use Heroes. I'll probably make them be a tad more careful with Field Marshals.

Their Strategic and Tactical xp is gained from every unit fighting, and they do fight with units.
When it comes to leveling their traits, it's similar:
  • AI weights and current lvl of the trait
  • Value from the free promotions the trait gives
  • Value from other stuff the trait does
  • And a small amount of random value is added

All the values will possibly require tweaking. The way they work is similar to how the AI already chose Civics, promotions, etc.

Ok that's fine. I quite dislike the name ''Field Marshals'' though. I don't think the name fits the FFH setting or many of the civs.

Also the whole idea seems a bit redundant with Heros too. Why not remove Heros and instead merge them into the field marshall system, which would be renamed to ''Heros''.

It's a bit of a radical move but I think it would be a good change. Not to mention you'd need to think up less on your own and find less unit art for them all.

Top Bottom