• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Communitu_79a mapscript VP version

tu_79

Deity
Hello,
this is the link to the original mapscript release, intended for both vanilla and Vox Populi, but with a focus on being balanced for VP.
As of version 2.0, the mapscript is fully integrated in VP.

At this moment, last version is 2.3 and the changes will be added to next VP release. Meanwhile, you can download it from here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/communitu_79a-mapscript-vp-version.668265/#post-16071964

2.2 version just creates a few dunes in sandy deserts, to give them just a little bit of production.
2.3 fixes channel shapes.

Last edited:
Could someone explain me the meaning of "Override AssignStartingPlots" option?

Also would it be possible to add "Random" as an option for Circumnavigation?

So playing Terra (one continent start) with 7 civs. A couple of notes:

Spoiler :

upload_2021-3-27_13-40-41.png

1) The CS placement is very....generic, all of them lined up like that.

2) One thing I like on standard Terra is that the new continent tends to have new luxs that aren't found on the main continent, which encourages expansion. As you'll note here, there are very few luxs on this continent, and the ones that are, are not unique to this area.

Last couple of games I've also had CS placement similar to that, not for a majority though. I however haven't noticed a lack of luxuries on any landmass with standard settings for resource distribution.

I think the starting continent is so fertile that the City States found no places to spawn, so they default to the fallback function.

I think luxuries are placed around players starting location -so they can have their monopoly-. Maybe an option could be added to luxuries placement to ignore it when Terra is selected, however I am at a loss here.

About CS placement, @azum4roll knows better. It's weird indeed.
One thing I did a couple of times to fix it - start the map in the normal, non-Terra mode, and then using the in-Game editor manually move the settlers to the single continent.

Maybe something like this could be done in the script - i.e. place the settlers, then call the luxury generation, then move the settlers?

Reading the code,
Code:
    print("Choosing start locations for civilizations.");
   start_plot_database:ChooseLocations(args);

print("Normalizing start locations and assigning them to Players.");
   start_plot_database:BalanceAndAssign();

--error(":P")
   print("Placing Natural Wonders.");
   start_plot_database:PlaceNaturalWonders();

print("Placing Resources and City States.");
   start_plot_database:PlaceResourcesAndCityStates();

Perhaps simply calling `ChooseLocations` and `BalanceAndAssign` again could help? However no idea what they actually do, and whether calling them after placing resources and city-states would work adequately.

Last edited:
There's no logic in AssignStartingPlots (luxuries aren't handled by the map at all, so standard Terra should be the same as Communitu_79a Terra) that makes a luxury only available in the new world.

Existing luxury roles:
  • Assigned to regions: this is the monopoly luxury of each civ
  • Assigned to CS: these luxuries are only available in City States
  • Random: placed randomly on compatible terrain
  • Special Case: Marble, always random and far away from each other
  • Disabled: not on the map, only available via Great Admirals

Communitu_79a v2.3.0 changes:
  • Tweak shortest path algorithm edge weights so it actually works (no more unnatural straight canals)
  • Make sure polar sea connections never dig through land in Terra mode
Map should be included in next VP installer, but you can download it here right now!

Attachments

• Communitu_79a.zip
    55.1 KB · Views: 387
Ok, it's me again with the same question.

Could someone give a simple explanation what "Override AssignStartingPlots" option mean?

Ok, it's me again with the same question.

Could someone give a simple explanation what "Override AssignStartingPlots" option mean?
I will take a stab at the answer as I understand it after looking at the mapscript. If the Override is false, it will point to the Vox Populi AssignStartingPlots script and use that to generate your luxury resources and other stuff. If the Override is true, it will point to an internal function within the Communitu_79 mapscript perform the functions.

I always have the option as false since my VP setup is current, Communitu_79 is current, and it works seemlessly with Even More Resources modmod and More Wonders modmod. However, if at some point VP and Communitu_79 get out of sync with each other in development, you could set the option to true and in theory, the mapscript should still be functional.

I hope this is helpful and anyone else is welcome to correct me if I was wrong.

Some feedback on the coal numbers from many games now.

So Perfect Coal is 2 per city. Reasonable Coal is 6, aka 2 for my top 3 buildings.

I can't remember the last time I got Perfect Coal, its extremely rare. Reasonable Coal is about 20% of my games, the rest I have less than 6 coal and have to supplement with refineries, slater mill, policies, etc.

Just having a discussion on Inca's in leaders forum, & the fact that Inca's don't automatically be put near a mountain range at start. I find it very rare for this to happen (whether AI or player) & usually are nowhere near one, even if there are lots of mountains in game. Considering, this is Inca's UA & if you think of Andes associated with them, is it not possible to do so, unless it has changed recently. As far as I am aware the map isn't allowed for automatic mountainous starts just hills. I can understand all the other map scripts as they are old, but this is an ongoing one so thought I would ask.

How many cities per player is average in your opinion?
Somewhat dependent upon start I receive (Blind map gen)
Generally between 4-6, sometimes stretch towards 6-8 and very rarely 8-10.
I also typically spread strategically to enforce future bottlenecks, dependent upon the terrain.

Map options are custom size 157, 92, standard/normal everything, low sea level, 4 billion yrs, 2 rifts, marathon.

Is there an option (or combination of options) to increase the number of islands or (more extreme) make the planet predominantly islands?

I would definitely like more midsized islands, I still see too many dinky ones that are just bad settles.
What's midsized for you? There are already islands that can support 2-4 cities (usually bundled with 1-2 CS).

Just having a discussion on Inca's in leaders forum, & the fact that Inca's don't automatically be put near a mountain range at start. I find it very rare for this to happen (whether AI or player) & usually are nowhere near one, even if there are lots of mountains in game. Considering, this is Inca's UA & if you think of Andes associated with them, is it not possible to do so, unless it has changed recently. As far as I am aware the map isn't allowed for automatic mountainous starts just hills. I can understand all the other map scripts as they are old, but this is an ongoing one so thought I would ask.
Mountain bias can be added with code, but not related to map generation.

Top Bottom