Computer fails to resolve a turn

Rapier

Chieftain
Under what conditions would the computer be unable to work out a turn for 3 hours?

I'm playing a very crowded marathon game, 500 or so turns in all of a sudden I hit end turn and get a 3 hour delay for the computer to work out what happens next (it would probably be forever but I turned the game off after a bout 3 hours).

Looking at the map editor there doesn't appear to be a single part of the map not in someone's borders, I wondered if it was possibly caused by the Frozen or Hyborem trying to spawn without enough locations and/or players avaliable to take there spots.

I started the game with max computer players that it would allow (mainly to see if it would work :p) - and it seemed to handle it quite well with acceptable thinking time until now.

Any ideas what I could do to resolve this issue or at least what might have caused it?

You could try entering the world builder and looking for a city that is producing nothing. I've heard that works and definitely lower the number of civs!

Looking for a computer producing nothing? Does a computer trying to produce nothing create a crash?

The number of civs was far more than makes for a good game incidentally, but it was a fun test - I'd like if possible to run games with 30. (Which is one of each civ in the modmod I believe). But in practice I find the game can't handle that many well either.

Looking for a computer producing nothing? Does a computer trying to produce nothing create a crash?

The number of civs was far more than makes for a good game incidentally, but it was a fun test - I'd like if possible to run games with 30. (Which is one of each civ in the modmod I believe). But in practice I find the game can't handle that many well either.

I am surprised that turns didn't get ridiculous.. Usually playing with a large map, or many AI players causes the downtime between turns to get well into 20 seconds or so, sometimes more. Fairly aggravating; I've always thought it was the Civ 4 engine hitting its limits, but if this doesn't happen to you, perhaps it's me? :huh:

I've found that with the modmod - turns start to take a long long time at about the 250th turn irrespective of the size of the map or the number of players.

In regular civ IV I always played large or huge and never really had a problem, towards the very end (when you can see the whole map, have tanks ect.) the turns began to take a long time, but I don't think they ever took more than 20 seconds.

I've found that with the modmod - turns start to take a long long time at about the 250th turn irrespective of the size of the map or the number of players.

In regular civ IV I always played large or huge and never really had a problem, towards the very end (when you can see the whole map, have tanks ect.) the turns began to take a long time, but I don't think they ever took more than 20 seconds.

The issue with a 'city producing nothing' is it was told to build something it can't build. Python build choices.

That entire file has been rewritten by GreyFox, so that should be fixed.

As for turn time... The other benefit of rewriting all the python files is speed. Equivalent early game, 25-30% faster late game.

Top Bottom