Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Yeah, that PSU would be fine.

I dunno really about the heat and temperature, maybe Google and see if you can find other people who upgraded to similar cards.

I'd say it will likely work, but in the absence of further information, can't speculate much beyond that.

Alright, thanks for all the help :)

The power in my area has been flickering a lot this winter, so I'm going to be buying an uninterruptible power supply - mainly to protect the desktop, although ideally, I would like to be able to plug my desktop, A/V receiver, and 46" LCD screen into it. I really only need this to protect against momentary outages and flickering, I don't need it to be able to last 5+ minutes or anything like that. How powerful a UPS will I require?

If you have all of your computer case fans hooked up to the power supply but only some of them turn on, what could be a source of the problem?

If you have all of your computer case fans hooked up to the power supply but only some of them turn on, what could be a source of the problem?

Fans disabled in the BIOS, bad wiring, some of the fans are broken... Assortment of reasons, really. Have you tried running an app that specifically tests the fans?

SpeedFan

There are probably better applications out there but that's what a quick Google found me and I can't really recall the programs I used in the past.

My guess is some of the fans are set to only kick in when certain temperatures are reached. This is usually altered via the BIOS.

Fans disabled in the BIOS, bad wiring, some of the fans are broken... Assortment of reasons, really. Have you tried running an app that specifically tests the fans?

SpeedFan

There are probably better applications out there but that's what a quick Google found me and I can't really recall the programs I used in the past.
Thanks, but that only showed me which fans were running and what speed. It has controls to turn up the speed of certain fans but that didn't do anything.
My guess is some of the fans are set to only kick in when certain temperatures are reached. This is usually altered via the BIOS.

I thought this too, but they've never come on AFAIK. Could be wrong though. I also can't imagine that the computer never hits a threshold temp given how crowded the case is, how hard I use it and how gunked up everything was with tar until recently. Then again, the case is basically open to the air on 4 sides, so maybe that is enough?

What are optimal temperatures for my CPU and GPU's to be at?

I'm building a computer and I am installing windows 7x64 Home premium OEM. The computer won't have an optical drive. Is it possible to install windows 7 OEM via an ISO or do I need to use the disk to install it?

Or via LAN if your mobo is any good.

Speaking of LAN, is there any way to use a cd drive over a network? I would like to use it to install the few games I have that still use cd's.

Using an optical drive over a network is trivial, just right-click the drive on the host computer, and share as you would any other folder.

Yes this is right. I've done it before. I had an old disc that rattled too loudly in the drive in my machine (too fast, really) and wouldn't install properly in my computer so I 'borrowed' my mother's CD drive for it.

Actually, if it's not DRM protected, it may be easier to make an ISO image (ImgBurn can do that) and send the image through a LAN connection and use something like Virtual CloneDrive on the local computer. But if it's DRM protected it won't work and circumventing it is against the law so I do not recommend that.

Using an optical drive over a network is trivial, just right-click the drive on the host computer, and share as you would any other folder.

You only need special software for burning over LAN... and really, you're better off using RDP or a USB burner at that point.

True, but I'd like to point out the advantages to my approach.

1. It's FREE, you don't need to run out and buy another piece of hardware(external USB drive). $30+ saved
2. You cannot play videos over a lan simply by sharing the drive folder, it generates a copy protection error or just refuses altogether.
3. Several DRM protected games will not install from a shared folder either (though this is getting less common as more games are distributed digitally and don't rely solely on disk based DRM).

I got a 16GB flash drive for $20, and honestly, buying another accessory shouldn't be an issue, everyone should already have at least one flash drive of appropriate size.

Top Bottom