Confused about mods

Blue_bee

Chieftain
I don't understand any of the things people on here say about installing mods. It's all too technical for me. When they say to extract a mod folder what does that mean? I can't find a folder in the mod files I've downloaded and I don't have a mod folder where people say you should. Sorry if this sounds rude or is in the wrong place.

Moderator Action: Moved to the main forum.
Because the tutorials subforum is only for tutorials, not for questions ;).

Okay...
You've downloaded a mod.
It's a .zip or .rar file, right? (if it's an .exe file: Double click, follow the instructions)
If so, them make a right click on it. You should see somewhere in the menu an option "extract files", "extract here", or similar. Choose that option. Let the program run.
It should create a folder with the same name like the downloaded file.
Check the folder, there should be another folder named "Assets" and possibly other stuff in it.
Then move this folder to C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civ4\BtS\Mods (that's the standard path; might be different, depending on Windows version).
Done. Fire up BtS and choose the mod which you want to play.

If you got the game via Steam, and possibly some other ways, the default installation location for the game is someplace else entirely from what The_J has indicated. Steam puts it down in the Steam folders somewhere. It is also possible to end up with the entire game installed in your user profile folder instead of Program Files. And you can, of course, specify an entirely different location of your choosing when you install it.

It can also be harder to find on a Mac. If you are using a Mac, you should check out the Civ4 - Macintosh forum.

What you need to do is find the place the game was installed. On way to do this is to search for a file called Civ4BeyondSword.exe. That is the actual main program file for the game. It is in the folder that also has the Mods folder in it. That Mods folder is where the mod goes, in its own folder in there (and directly inside the new mod's folder should be that mod's Assets folder, if it is not then you have probably ended up with one too many layers of folders). The resulting folder structure should be like so: "folder Civ4BeyondSword.exe is in" -> Mods -> "the mod you are adding's name" -> Assets.

Thank you both for responding. I forgot to mention that I saved it as a text edit file when I download it because I didn't know what to open it with and that's probably where I went wrong. It won't tell me if it's a zip., .rar or .exe. There is no extension that I can see. I have a mac and I got the game through steam. I searched through steam and civ iv in my finder but I can't find a mods folder. I'll look through the Macintosh forum and see if I can find anything that helps in there. I found an Assets folder but it doesn't have a mod folder in it. I put the file in the assets folder but that didn't work. Should there be a mods folder in the file?

Moderator Action: Moved to the Mac forum.
I guess Alan will be more competent in this area :).

Because I definitely don't know what to answer :ack:. Macs normally should have a built in utility to unzip stuff (AFAIK), so no idea why it's not working for you. Might be that it's a file type which is not supported (e.g. 7z), but then it should show the file extension (I guess). But since it doesn't, they must be hidden, and I don't know how to make them visible on a Mac :ack:.

Alan :religion:?

Hi Blue_bee :wavey:

As I understand it, you have found one or more mods that you tried to download, and somehow you saved them as text. I'm not sure how you did that. If they really are .txt files, then they are probably no good.

Please can you tell me which mods you tried to download? I'll go and see what sort of files they should be, and advise on how to download them.

For information, if you click a download link on a Mac your browser (Safari? Firefox?) should just download the file into your Downloads folder. If the file name doesn't have a file name extension, it probably means that OS X is hiding that from you. You can see what its full name is by selecting the file and choosing Get Info from the Finder's File menu. Make sure that "Hide extension" is not checked.

Mods are downloaded as "archives" - single files that contain a number of files and folders all stuck together in one lump. If the file is a .zip archive then you should be able to expand it just by double clicking it. Mac OS X should know how to do that. If it's a .rar then you need to download a free expander. Here is an article listing several options.

The worst kind of archive to deal with is a .exe file. These are Windows installers, and typically you will not be able to open them on a Mac. You will have to be able to run Windows on your Mac or elsewhere to expand them.

Hi Alan. The mods I downloaded were "Realism Invictus 3.1", "dale's combat mod 2.0", "50 civ mod", "Super Spies", "Great diplomat mod", "Total Replaced Leaders Redux", and "Legends of Revolution". I'm using Firefox as my browser. When I click on the downloads it asks if I want to open them with a program or save them to the downloads folder. I save the files and double click and then it just asks me what program I want to open them with. I used Text Edit because it was one the only program I had that could open them. I'll try downloading those programs from the article and using one of them instead until I find one that works. Thank you for your help.

I was dealing with the text edit files I saved to my desktop before and now I just checked my downloads folder now and it shows the extensions.

"Realism Invictus 3.1" and "Legends of Revolution" are Windows installers. You would need a Windows system to install them

"dale's combat mod 2.0" and "Great diplomat mod" are .7z file. They need a program called Ez7z to expand them. The second of these is only compatible with BtS 3.13, so it may not work with BtS 3.19.

"50 civ mod" and "Super Spies" are .rar files. You can expand then using unrar, but I suspect they - and possibly others in your list - include customised CivGameCoreDLL.dll files. If they do then you will not be able to run them on the Mac version of BtS, which doesn't support custom DLL mods. If they do run then you will not see all the features of the mod. There is no way to play more than 31 civs on a map on the Mac, except using the mods delivered with the game as installed originally.

"Total Replaced Leaders Redux" is a Civ5 mod as far as I can tell, so I don't know why it's here.

Hi Alan. The mods I downloaded were "Realism Invictus 3.1", "dale's combat mod 2.0", "50 civ mod", "Super Spies", "Great diplomat mod", "Total Replaced Leaders Redux", and "Legends of Revolution".

None of those will work on Mac BTS.

EDIT: actually the Great Diplomat mod will.

Ok, I'll see what I can do with an Ez7z later and get back to you. I found Total Replaced Leaders Redux in the civ iv modpacks - was it not supposed to be there?

I just googled you mod titles. I couldn't see a reference to a Civ4 mod with the name Total Replaced Leaders Redux. If it's there, so be it. However, Xyth is an expert on the mod scene, and he says the only one in your list that will work is the Great Diplomat one. If that's the case then it's not much use to you anyway.

Ok, I'll see what I can do with an Ez7z later and get back to you. I found Total Replaced Leaders Redux in the civ iv modpacks - was it not supposed to be there?

There is a BTS mod by that name. Most leader replacement mods should work with Mac BTS but that particular one has the Better AI DLL merged in, making it incompatible.

I got the great diplomat mod to open and and found my mods folder and put the great diplomat folder in there. Then I hit play on bts and opened up the load a mod menu but it wasn't there. Is there some other way I'm supposed to go about this?

Have you done the bits that enable the Mods menu, and that display the mods in the resulting window? Please check out the latest entries in the FAQ.

Top Bottom