Conquered Cities: First thing you build?

palisade, monument, market, elder council, walls, courthouse.

Oh I was under the impression it was the other way round, I should probably read up on that a bit better.

you were under the right impression, FFH's courthouses are less powerful than vanilla Civs ones.

The Mercurian Gate, at least if I have a Great Engineer to spare and if the city is a lot closer to other enemy cities than my core empire. Basium is a lot more useful if he enters in a war zone.

Hahahaha.... so true!

I once has a game as the Elohim where my lands occupied a really long peninsula, enough that I fit seven cities on it - guarded by ONE town at the end. Anyway, I was bored and build the MG in the second city in, blocked by just one other town. Here's what he does: he builds a navy and colonizes an island. He even goes to the effort of shipping himself and EVERY FREAKING ANGEL that is summoned over there, leaving nothing but a garrison on the mainland - and not once did he even try to walk an army past my one lone town to the nearest evil civ.

Market.

I am of the "keep every city" school. I only raze for a couple of reasons - Dis and the AV holy city to drop the AC, or if I'm in a situation where I'm really evenly matched with the enemy and have to worry about counterattacks taking the city back. Aside from that, I pretty much conquer until my economy can't take it, so Markets are up first to keep my war horde moving.

I'm also a proponent of the stack-o-disciples for the border pop and revolt cure, at least for larger cities that have developed tiles around them and that will have a net positive income as soon as they come out of revolt.

I once has a game as the Elohim where my lands occupied a really long peninsula, enough that I fit seven cities on it - guarded by ONE town at the end. Anyway, I was bored and build the MG in the second city in, blocked by just one other town. Here's what he does: he builds a navy and colonizes an island. He even goes to the effort of shipping himself and EVERY FREAKING ANGEL that is summoned over there, leaving nothing but a garrison on the mainland - and not once did he even try to walk an army past my one lone town to the nearest evil civ.

Gah! I saw almost exactly the same thing recently. The dang devils were overrunning the mainland and the angels went off putzing around on their yachts out in the islands while berating me with their "I don't have time to talk now while evil is lose in the world" speeches.

Don't forget the temples! I try to have a bunch of priests following my army for the temple of my relgion, but order and kilmorph and OO temples are worthwhile no matter what religion you are, unless you're going for a religious victory, so it can make a lot of sense to build temples outside your national religion.

Otherwise, monument (sometimes) followed by elder council and then courhouse. Then either market and training yard or lighthouse and harbor.

Gah! I saw almost exactly the same thing recently. The dang devils were overrunning the mainland and the angels went off putzing around on their yachts out in the islands while berating me with their "I don't have time to talk now while evil is lose in the world" speeches.

I think the mercurian AI deals poorly with the Erebus map. I gave the Mercurian a port city in the quiet corner of the map and the Mercurian spent the whole game building privateers and losing them. Every square in the fat cross had about a dozen angels by the end.

Part of the problem may have been that all civs on the map were neutral and following RoK, except for Kuriotates, which was good, and which I had to eliminate.

No, it's not the map - my particular example was on a Lakes map (so wierd, I was a seafaring Elohim Order civ on a Lakes map). I think that Basium just doesn't have a clue what to do with Angels, for some reason. Granted, he doesn't usually show up in any of my games, but whereas Hyborum usually makes some sort of an impact in the game, Basium almost always ends up being completely useless. It doesn't seem to matter who builds him - so long as the Mercurians aren't directly in the path of giant evil armies, they have a tendency to sit and ignore the rest of the world.

Mine was on an "Earth-like" map so it's not the specific map.

The only time I've seen the angels have an impact on the game was when I was playing a good race and one of the other good races summoned then and then later declared war on me. Somehow the angels got involved on his side and DANG those angels of death are nasty. Eventually I assassinated most of the angels ('cept the big guy) with the special limited edition assassins (nightwalkers or something?) which was really weird. But that was in general a weird game.

Top Bottom