CotM 20 - Pre-game discussion

Karasu

Wanderer
GOTM Staff
After the steep climb in difficulty of the last couple of months, let's go back to Regent for the start of the new year :xmas:

Civ: America
Map: Standard
Landform: Continents
Temperature: Normal
Climate: Temperate
Geology: 5 Billion years
Water: 70%

Difficulty: Regent
Rivals: Seven
Barbarians: roaming

Starting position:

Minimap:

Conquest Class Bonuses
- Gold: start the game with 50 gp
- Extra Units: 1 worker + 1 Scout
- But you don't want to play Conquest on Regent, do you? :p

Predator Class Equalisers
- AI support and cost factor increased to Emperor level

That cow is nice, but somehow I get the feeling, we won't have any fresh water nearby, so we a lot of mined plains...
Is it worth it to settle on the coast?
At least then we could have harbors when we reach MM.

With all those plains, irrigation is a must-have. Perhaps scout W (to taste the water) and N. Worker towards the cow. If the water is salty then my settler will boldly step E, otherwise will settle S or SW.

I agree with Redbad that fresh water or better terrain is a must and I'll be willing to trek a long way to get there.

I'd rather move the scout first, perhaps SE E? If that's succesful, obviously move in that direction. If not, worker SW and if there's still no sign of fresh water, settler N.

There's another moo SE of the one we see here.

Yes, I see the cow too. And I think there is grass straight south.

I'll send scout south and south again, if he sees river or lake, move settler south and settle. America, in my opinion one of the worst civs in the game to contradict the easy level. UU does NOTHING. (Who uses planes anyway?) By the way, thanx for not having another high difficulty level game Karasu.

killerkid said:
IAmerica, in my opinion one of the worst civs in the game to contradict the easy level. UU does NOTHING. (Who uses planes anyway?)
Actually I think America is the best civ for low difficulty games especially before C3C. All high scores before C3C on low level are played by Americans. Why? Because you can scout and get all AA techs really quick. And then use Industrious to milk the game quick. All conquest should be ended before IA, so UU might be nothing, but it doesn't matter in high level play.

This looks like it will be fun.

Turn 1
Scout goes east.
Worker to Cow
Settler moves one tile to the south to be on the coast.

Turn 2
Scout moves
Build Washington
Worker Roads cow

hoping this month is a little more relaxed at regent. sid was fun, but frantic.

i agree with cow to the SE. a move is definately in order.

settler moves S.
scout E

really like to find a river nearby while staying near the cows. a fresh water lake will help irrigate, but research will be slower. considering the difficulty republic slingshot might be a deceptive obstacle depending on the other civs.

if there is no freshwater nearby :mischief: this will be a grueling start even at regent. if we have freshwater i think we can crank-up a 4 turn settler factory with some management. we might need to spend some turns growing after a few settlers; we have only 4 surplus food from what is visible forcing an odd third turn to grow.

i will also be very aware of a beneficial palace jump.

Is this going to be due at the end of January, the same time as GotM50?

ok im having a problem, when i try to load it it says LEAD error and that theres a error. Ive played many of these and its been fine till now. I downloaded the missing links mod and since then its been screwing up. Any idea as to whats going on?

@DBear: Why not? (actually, it's 1 Feb)

@Cidknee: Please PM me with the precise error you get. You may want to reinstall so that you are running a fresh copy with no mods?

ok alan will do. thanks

Well lads, considering I can see that theres a grassland directly south i'll scout there in hopes of not getting too much plains in my city radius:goodjob: . from there i'll search for a river... :king:

Top Bottom