Cream filled Donut- Training map

I guess I’m having a lot of fun with the Worldbuilder… but when I was playing this new wagonwheel map last night, the beginning area was confusing to navigate at first even though the layout is actually pretty simple. This made it pretty fun to play and it got me thinking of a new map idea: maze gauntlets.

Would anyone be interested? I’m going to build one anyway because it’ll definitely be cool. Picture a maze of chambers, each next chamber will be a bit larger than the next to hopefully give the AI that starts there more room to get more powerful. Combined with raging barbs, navigating the maze would be tough.

make sure the map has more hills than the donut, really found it hard to produce anything, gold and food only.

Okay, after a 2nd night of playing the wagon wheel, I can say that its definitely unbalanced against the player... but some people might like the extra challenge. The problem specifically is that its tough to create enough units with your first city to adequately protect your area. There is room for 4-6 cities in this maze if you want to better control the access points with cities themselves..but the problem is that roads are forced to go farther than necessary resulting in a gold crunch. If you keep playing or find the right spot for the 2nd city you'll have plenty of resources to sell to make up for it. but it is not a cake-walk.

make sure the map has more hills than the donut, really found it hard to produce anything, gold and food only.

Is that the map with the large middle (room for 6+ cities) or the 2nd version where there is only room for a couple?

But yeah, I could have put a bit more variety I suppose. It was mainly to get resource bonuses...

the updated one, when you changed it into a mod. and yes i understand what your goal was, its just makes the game slow way down and you cant build units to protect your borders from all the barbs.

Blasto's spoke idea inspired me so I made a survival challenge. Hopefully it's not almost identical to his.

It seems to capture the spirit of the Deity OCC Conquest challenge I mentioned earlier, where staying alive is difficult, but not impossible. I played twice to 1ad to get a taste, and it seems to be challenging to survive, perhaps impossible to win, but definitely benefiting from multiple play throughs which was part of the appeal of the original. And you still can build mega-promoted units from your mega-capital. Good luck optimizing your tech path to stay abreast of the enemy threat as you try to win. All victory options are enabled, but good luck winning by Diplomacy as it's an Always War game with No City States, No Barbarians, and No Ancient Ruins.

I've attached an initial save instead of a map since the forums don't allow maps. It also should be easier to load for someone uninitiated to custom maps. Let me know if you have problems.

Good luck have fun.

Attachments

• Nebuchadnezzar II_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    350.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 2011-08-08_00001.jpg
    2011-08-08_00001.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 2,080
View attachment 298004

The wagon wheel idea came out great. So far it’s pretty fun to play. It’s a standard map with 8 AI’s. The player starting in a middle defensive position. I was having a blast with it last night, but I might tune it a bit still. I’m thinking possibly raging barbs, but then I would worry about barbs stifling the AI’s spread so I’m still debating this. But giving the AI’s an extra settler to start with might be cool to get things going quickly. Permanent war too might be neat.

It still could be considered a training map though for Deity level players. Maybe giving the AI two starting cities would do the trick.

I think even a deity player would find some fun playing this map and I would love some feed back.

You must load it as a mod/scenario and pick Japan.

Why oh why don't you use quick battle option! And whats with the desert?

I played the wagonwheel map out more last night and its doable... but like Honorius said, for a long time the biggest problem is the barbs. But to me, that's cool too. The biggest issue seems to be that you're so behind on happiness and gold that about time you get enough cities in place to keep the barbs down, the AI's are way ahead and you're not likely to catch up unless you're willing to play to end game. I'm thinking of just turning off all wins except domination.

I'll also open up the four passes a bit to allow for better city placement for the blockage of the four choke points. I'll include more hills too, especially around the entrances.

I'll also remove some of the desert...

Top Bottom