Cross-Platform Civ3 Editor

Cross-Platform Editor for Conquests now available! 1.48

Version 1.47

Version 1.47 has the following new features:

- The 256 building type limit is now enforced if the BLDG safety level is at least Minimal
- There is now a Map safety level
- The 512 city limit is now optionally enforced (via a warning dialog that lets you continue or cancel adding a new city) if the Map safety level is at least Safe
- Barbarians can now own cities if the Map safety level is Exploratory or lower (via Civilization ownership) or Minimal or lower (directly via the radio button)

Please report back on your success with barbarian cities in particular!

So far so good, as a sanity check I modified the 'Ancient Treasures' intro scenario to add a barb city right next to me, and there it is in game with no broken graphics. Of course taking my only warrior to go and find it might not have been the optimum strategy... Perhaps next I'll try something like teturkhan with cities and replace a bunch of them with barbarian cities and see how the game goes.
1679995338858.png

It probably doesn't matter because 99% of people are going to be using the editor to create new scenarios, but I noticed that it throws an error if you attempt to open the Sengoku original Conquest scenario. All other Conquests open ok.

Quintillus Augustus! Is it possible for you to add the reverse of existing function which extracts BIQ files/rules from SAV, that is to replace rules in existing SAV from a BIQ? That would be extremely handy, since C3MT save editing tool can extract and import actual MAP but fails, catches fire and crashes as soon as custom rules are involved, what I'm hoping for is that with such feature it should be possible to finally map edit savegames from a modded game.

Quintillus Augustus! Is it possible for you to add the reverse of existing function which extracts BIQ files/rules from SAV, that is to replace rules in existing SAV from a BIQ? That would be extremely handy, since C3MT save editing tool can extract and import actual MAP but fails, catches fire and crashes as soon as custom rules are involved, what I'm hoping for is that with such feature it should be possible to finally map edit savegames from a modded game.
To some extent, that is already possible. The "SAV Actions" menu has some support for this, under "Apply Rule Changes".

It's rather limited, as it can only update four sections:

1683853545025.png

It should work with a modded game just fine, so long as you follow the "don't add or remove items" warning - replace it with rules from a modified version of the same BIQ that the SAV originates from, and be sure to make a backup just in case.

Adding more sections to this has been on the back burner for a while, but I want to make sure I have the time to test them as well before adding a whole bunch of options.

Also, welcome to CivFanatics! :band: We don't get as many new members in the Civ3 area as we did back when I joined it in 2007, I don't get to use that :band: smilie often enough anymore.

The initial post has me intruiged with creating a building with negative maintenance cost (assuming it reduces total maintenance in the city), so I downloaded it. It looks great so far, but I have a hard time finding what "deepwater harbour" is, which was also mentioned in the initial post. So it got me wondering, is there a single post/document listing all options that are now enabled by this editor? I'd like to explore them!

The initial post has me intruiged with creating a building with negative maintenance cost (assuming it reduces total maintenance in the city), so I downloaded it. It looks great so far, but I have a hard time finding what "deepwater harbour" is, which was also mentioned in the initial post. So it got me wondering, is there a single post/document listing all options that are now enabled by this editor? I'd like to explore them!
How did you manage to get negative maintenance? When I tried it the editor shows it in red.

This Cross-Platform Civ3 Editor is pretty good and more extensive than the original Civ3 Map-Editor.

But to make the Jar-File run, I had to develop a Batch-File on my own, which starts the Cross-Platform Civ3 Map-Editor?

Maybe Quintillus could add a Batch-File to the Cross-Platform Civ3 Editor Folder, because not everbody knows how to code a Batch-File?

The Command-Line of the Batch-File is only: java -jar ConquestsEditor.jar

I've been away for some months. And coming back with some stupid ideas.
1) Is it possible to add to Anti-Aircraft units zone of control i.e. they could fire or intercept airplanes 2-3 squares from their position?
2) Is it possible to add to Anti-Aircraft units their own attack animation against airplanes instead of generic one? Oh, and do AAs shot down tactical missiles?
3) Is it possible to make "enslave" action to have a chance to capture defeated unit instead of generating some fixed one in Map Editor?

I've been away for some months. And coming back with some stupid ideas.
1) Is it possible to add to Anti-Aircraft units zone of control i.e. they could fire or intercept airplanes 2-3 squares from their position?
2) Is it possible to add to Anti-Aircraft units their own attack animation against airplanes instead of generic one? Oh, and do AAs shot down tactical missiles?
3) Is it possible to make "enslave" action to have a chance to capture defeated unit instead of generating some fixed one in Map Editor?
For (1), that wouldn't be possible via an editor, as it would require game changes. Perhaps Flintlock could work some magic to do it in his patch, perhaps not.

For (2), that would be a question a unit creator would be better able to answer than I would. I am not actually sure if anti-air can shoot down missiles in Civ3. I think they cannot shoot down cruise missiles or tactical/ICBM ones, but that the latter are affected by the Strategic Missile Defense small wonder? It's been a long time since I played a game that late into the Modern Era, though.

(3) would be nice, but I am not aware of a way to do it.

This Cross-Platform Civ3 Editor is pretty good and more extensive than the original Civ3 Map-Editor.

But to make the Jar-File run, I had to develop a Batch-File on my own, which starts the Cross-Platform Civ3 Map-Editor?

Maybe Quintillus could add a Batch-File to the Cross-Platform Civ3 Editor Folder, because not everbody knows how to code a Batch-File?

The Command-Line of the Batch-File is only: java -jar ConquestsEditor.jar
Interesting... back in the early days, I did have a batch file included, as it was common to run into that issue. For most of the mid-late 2010s, Java installers did a good job and I hadn't seen it be necessary for quite a few years, and eventually the batch starter was dropped as unnecessary. But you aren't the first person to run into issues starting the editor since 2020; it seems the Java installers aren't as good as setting the file association anymore, either that or another program is registering the .jar files.

I have added an item to my todo list for the next version to add it back to the editor.

Something else you might want to add is a check for the "reduces corruption" flag.
In case a non-wonder building has assigned said flag on the Empire setting, it will behave as a small wonder... or be impossible to build. I've had both results, but manly the second one.

I just discovered a feature of Quintillus excellent editor, and that is if you are looking at a previously generated map, it will give you the number of natural resources of each type on the map. It does not give the location, at least I have not checked for that, but knowing how abundant or scarce a resource is can be very useful if you are trying to deny the AI use of it.

Quintillus updated Cross-Platform Civ3 Editor with a new update entry:

Version 1.48 focuses on defeating pesky editor-launching issues, which have re-emerged in recent years.

To this point, version 1.48:

- Adds back the venerable launcher.jar program that launches the editor with a set amount of memory
- Adds a batch script, Editor_Launcher.bat, that launches the launcher for Windows users whose Java installation isn't set as the default .jar file handled
- Adds a warning if you try to open a file with insufficient memory and graphics enabled, suggesting you launch via the launcher instead
- Adds a Startup Widget that informs you of the low memory situation and advises you to use the launch when applicable
- Attempts to notify you if the editor has become unresponsive due to running out of memory. This is challenging, due to the lack of memory, and usually the best it can manage is updating its titlebar to inform you of the unfortunate situation.

Some modest improvements to the graphics-loading process have also been made; please post here if you notice any graphical oddities as a result. In theory, these should slightly reduce both running time and memory use when the program is loading the graphics, but most of the savings are ephemeral enough that they are difficult to measure.

I should note that using the launcher is not recommended unless you are having issues without the launcher. The recommended Liberica Java version gives the editor 14 GB of maximum memory on my system, versus 889 MB that is provided when the launcher is used. I cannot fathom a way that the editor could use 10+ GB, but if you zoom out enough on a large enough map, it may go over a gigabyte.

Some Java distributions, however, have in recent years returned to the stingy 128 MB to 256 MB maximums that were common circa 2009, and that is what this update is intended to address. The graphics themselves have a hard minimum of 110 MB just to store the uncompressed versions of the PCX texture files, so running within a 128 MB maximum is not plausible.

The official editor requirements remain the same as always - 256 MB required for map graphics (which will now trigger the warnings), and 384 MB recommended (which will not). Sadly, we are unlikely to ever meet the 128 MB that Conquests requires for the game itself, nor the 32 MB (!) that my Civ3 Vanilla box tells me is sufficient for the smallest map size.

Screenshots!

Since most of you won't be seeing the new alerts, I thought I should share them here.

The new startup widget appears on the right side, and looks like this:

1699507725364.png

The color is provided thanks to beautiful HTML3 formatting, and are hopefully enough to indicate this startup widget should be given attention. But if you ignore it and open a file anyway:

1699507888979.png

In testing, I found that 186 MB appears to be the minimum for the Rise of Rome conquest in version 1.47, and at least twice even succeeded with 176 MB in 1.48 thanks to those small-scale optimizations (at least 1.2 MB was saved, but beyond that it depends on the competition between various PCX files that are being imported). 192 MB is the "safe" minimum for that file, with "safe" in quotes since I was only testing loading, not editing. Hence the "possible but no guarantee" guideline at 200 MB. But for larger BIQs, the limits may be somewhat higher. Having 50,000 tiles instead of 5000 on a map does increase requirements somewhat, despite the graphics still taking up the lion's share.

I am mildly curious how many if any people use the option to disable the map and thus graphics. My main use of it has been when I want to edit a BIQ's rules on a system that for whatever reason doesn't have Civ3 installed, usually because it's a brand new system, but it can also come in handy for reference on a shared system. Does anyone else make use of that setting?

Last edited:
Thanks for continuing to support this editor, it's still my go-to any time I want to tweak Civ III. I'm not the best user to test this release, because I already use the recommended Liberica Java version (it also works for JCivEd, funny that my java needs are almost entirely 3rd party map editors for old civ games :p) and have never needed to use the launcher, but hopefully it will help others!

As a quick test I opened every default scenario in the Scenarios folder and the Conquests folder. It errors out trying to open the Sengoku - Sword of Japan conquest (both as a scenario and as a conquest) as well as the Intro 3 - New Alliances scenario. We're probably not particularly concerned about this given that messing with official maps isn't really the intended use case of the editor, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for continuing to support this editor, it's still my go-to any time I want to tweak Civ III. I'm not the best user to test this release, because I already use the recommended Liberica Java version (it also works for JCivEd, funny that my java needs are almost entirely 3rd party map editors for old civ games :p) and have never needed to use the launcher, but hopefully it will help others!

As a quick test I opened every default scenario in the Scenarios folder and the Conquests folder. It errors out trying to open the Sengoku - Sword of Japan conquest (both as a scenario and as a conquest) as well as the Intro 3 - New Alliances scenario. We're probably not particularly concerned about this given that messing with official maps isn't really the intended use case of the editor, just thought I'd throw it out there.
Good to hear on all accounts! Indeed, I am not the only developer who knew Java and decided to use it for a game-related project, but aside from that and Minecraft, it isn't too popular for desktop applications nowadays. Still happy with my choice of it though, not only did it mean I could focus on the editor rather than learning a new language, but the "cross-platform" aspect wouldn't have happened otherwise.

The Sengoku issue sounded familiar, and a thread search found that you mentioned it in the spring, but also that I noted it five years ago; the gist of the issue is that those two scenarios don't follow the standard format in one way. That post makes it sound like I added support for those scenarios then, but the following release (1.27) doesn't mention it. Although I did find a code update from the day of that post that purports to fix the problem, and at first glance looks like a sensible approach. Now I'm intrigued.

Update: Figured it out, I fixed a discrepancy with the TILE structure in 2018, which should be specific to those two scenarios, but there's a different difference with the RULE structure, and potentially one that impacts more than just that scenario if the number of spaceship parts is below the usual. This likely will be getting fixed. Thanks for noticing it!

Update 2: I've now determined that this broke in version 1.43, when support for reading version 2.05 BIC files was added. That change does not account for the possibility of having fewer than 10 spaceship parts, and assumes that a shorter RULE list is due to an early version of the BIC format. Sengoku does open in version 1.42, but not in 1.43 or later, so the fix in 1.27 appears to have been effective.

Last edited:
Haha, oops, clearly not the first time I've tested a new release by opening a bunch of stuff. All the original civ 3 bics in the ptw folder opened as well by the way, and I didn't bother with the ptw format stuff as they weren't listed as supported.

Update: Figured it out, I fixed a discrepancy with the TILE structure in 2018, which should be specific to those two scenarios, but there's a different difference with the RULE structure, and potentially one that impacts more than just that scenario if the number of spaceship parts is below the usual. This likely will be getting fixed. Thanks for noticing it!

Update 2: I've now determined that this broke in version 1.43, when support for reading version 2.05 BIC files was added. That change does not account for the possibility of having fewer than 10 spaceship parts, and assumes that a shorter RULE list is due to an early version of the BIC format. Sengoku does open in version 1.42, but not in 1.43 or later, so the fix in 1.27 appears to have been effective.
Nice work, glad that led to a useful fix rather than just being annoying :)

Hello Quintillus,

I always wanted to ask if it would be possible to add a War Trigger to your Cross Platform Editor?

The War Trigger starts a War between two Nations after maybe 20, 30 or 50 Rounds and than there is no Peace Negotiation Possible? A Locked Alliance.

For Example a WW2 Scenario starts in 1939 with German Empire and Soviet Union, both start with Peace. But if you reach the Year 1941 in Round 30, the War Trigger starts automatically a War and you can't make Peace anymore, because Locked Alliance?

Hunterkiller

Top Bottom