Resource icon

Cultural Diversity

1) This is the most awesome mod in the history of all mankind
2) I want to devote my life to IT to create such wonders
3) I like the popup more - these popups won't appear very often and you can overlook Notification but you will always notice popup. Also, from what I know, notification mods can create more incompatibility issues than popup mods... Right?

Alright, well, I'm going to go with a mix of both. Notifications for the unimportant cultural objectives (like having Castles in every city), but popups for more event-like ones (like the birth of St. Cyril and St. Methodius, or the coming of the Steppe Horde).

So, I've made some improvements, but I'll keep working on it:

I'll work on some icons for each group to go in place of the trophy, so it'll suit more when you "hear rumours of the birth of two Philosopher-Saints in distant lands" - which'll be my way of telling you you've lost the race to Writing :) (and without that heart-stopping sound that you get when you lose a wonder race, too).

I don't think notifications would cause any more incompatibilities than a popup, but given that I've built the popup UI from scratch now, it'll be the safer route to go anyway.

It's going to be REALLY hard to nab writing first seeing as the AI starts with Pottery depending on the level you play.

I think some divs should get unique ones of their own, for example: The Ottomans, they are not that related to the arabs, and they are related to the central asian steppe tribes, so how about a balanced duo of central asian, and arab, and maybe in the industrial era, they could get more european, like in real history. The mughals would also be better suited for a duo of indian, central asian and arab. Its kinda depressing to lump such a different civ together with those others.

I think we should also consider the possibility of more architectural styles. Where are my onion domes, Russia?!!!, why is india so asian,???, shouldn't it have its own style? and believe me, Istanbul looks nothing like what the game makes it out to be,just see it on google maps and you'll see what it looks like from the above. Why are the Zulu's building domes?, and would you look at all those camels going from Paris to Madrid?

@regalman: India should be Middle-East at least, and Spanish, Brazil and Portugal should be Mediterranean...

Making custom city-styles that work like ingame ones is impossible due to hardcodeness. I'm working on a workaround (which won't be as random as real city-styles sadly) which might work; but its still on the drawing board.

Also, although I agree some civs could be unique enough for their own bonuses; not only it would be unfair (gameplay wise) but it would increase needlessly the ammount of culture groups IMO. Interestingly, there could be a way to switch from culture group perhaps linked to cultural influence, but that'd be a hard mechanic to balance.

It's going to be REALLY hard to nab writing first seeing as the AI starts with Pottery depending on the level you play.

I think the reward is worth the challenge.

I think some divs should get unique ones of their own, for example: The Ottomans, they are not that related to the arabs, and they are related to the central asian steppe tribes, so how about a balanced duo of central asian, and arab, and maybe in the industrial era, they could get more european, like in real history. The mughals would also be better suited for a duo of indian, central asian and arab. Its kinda depressing to lump such a different civ together with those others.

I can't forsee a functional need to move the Ottomans out of the Arabic group. The group name is purely nominal; not necessarily representative of ethnicity. I also don't agree that the Ottomans, or, rather, the Turkish Republic (which is what I assume you're largely talking about), is European enough to be included in any of the European groups (and would be contrary to the spirit of the Eastern group anyway). True, Turkey is, uniquely amongst Arabic states, legally secular, but if I were to exclude them from the Arabic group based upon this, then I would need to make the same changes to, for instance, England or Denmark, who, uniquely amongst European states, in its modern incarnation, is not legally secular (de factorially at least). Besides this, one of the primary causes of the fall of the Ottoman Empire was its inability to keep up with European technological progress, so it wouldn't make much sense for them to, in the Industrial Era, suddenly rival European powers. And this brings up the more real problem of trying to fit the entirety of a state's inception into a group - the Ottoman Empire in-game is not the Turkish Republic, and by that reasoning, is as Arabic as any other Arabic civ (but I very much want to have one of the Arabic objectives nod to the assumption of the title "Caesar of Rome" by the Ottomans, which I think it such an awesomely bold move to warrant its inclusion somehow :) ).

The only groups that will contain a single civ are the Papal States, the Holy Roman Empire, and Japan. I feel that these civs demand extremely different sets of mechanics - bonuses, penalties and objectives - as to warrant it. I don't get the sense that this applies to any other civ. I may be wrong, and if anyone can make a solid case, then feel free.

Also, although I agree some civs could be unique enough for their own bonuses; not only it would be unfair (gameplay wise) but it would increase needlessly the ammount of culture groups IMO. Interestingly, there could be a way to switch from culture group perhaps linked to cultural influence, but that'd be a hard mechanic to balance.

Definitely an interesting idea, but, as you say, difficult to balance.

I've been doing some brainstorming for Japan's bonuses/penalties and this's what I've come up with so far:

Ideas for bonuses:
- Tourism modifiers against Japan are greatly reduced
- Closed borders provides a negative % to tourism rather than a flat 0%
- Foreign missionaries expend 2 conversion points when spreading religion in Japanese cities
- Foreign missionaries receive double (or 1.5x) attrition in Japanese lands
- Pressure from foreign religions greatly reduced
- Japan gets a substantial bonus to production of late industrial/modern era buildings
- Military units are much cheaper to upgrade when upgrading to Industrial/Modern Era units
- All trade routes provide substantially greater amounts of science from Civilizations with more Industrial Era techs than Japan
- Strategic resources worked by captured cities provide double quantity

Ideas for penalties:
- Science from trade routes with Civilizations without Industrial Era techs is reduced
- Unhappiness from cities increased the further they are from the capital
- Increased local unhappiness from occupied/puppeted cities
- Chance of rebels spawning near occupied/puppeted cities even if global happiness is positive and said chance increases as local happiness of these cities increase
- Production in cities decreased the further they are from the Capital
- Maintenance for all military increases during middle/late modern era

I think the reward is worth the challenge.

But I fear that especially on higher levels it's just a straight bonus for the AI who will nab it 95% of the time!

The only groups that will contain a single civ are the Papal States, the Holy Roman Empire, and Japan. I feel that these civs demand extremely different sets of mechanics - bonuses, penalties and objectives - as to warrant it. I don't get the sense that this applies to any other civ. I may be wrong, and if anyone can make a solid case, then feel free.

I thought that the Papal States would be in the same category as Tuscany, Milan, Venice and Sicily (Ren Italy) and that the HRE would be in the same category as Prussia, Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Bohemia (divided states unified) alongside maybe the Flemish and Belgium too.

But I fear that especially on higher levels it's just a straight bonus for the AI who will nab it 95% of the time!

The same can be said for the Great Library.

I've been doing some brainstorming for Japan's bonuses/penalties and this's what I've come up with so far:

Ideas for bonuses:
- Tourism modifiers against Japan are greatly reduced
- Closed borders provides a negative % to tourism rather than a flat 0%
- Foreign missionaries expend 2 conversion points when spreading religion in Japanese cities
- Foreign missionaries receive double (or 1.5x) attrition in Japanese lands
- Pressure from foreign religions greatly reduced
- Japan gets a substantial bonus to production of late industrial/modern era buildings
- Military units are much cheaper to upgrade when upgrading to Industrial/Modern Era units
- All trade routes provide substantially greater amounts of science from Civilizations with more Industrial Era techs than Japan
- Strategic resources worked by captured cities provide double quantity

Ideas for penalties:
- Science from trade routes with Civilizations without Industrial Era techs is reduced
- Unhappiness from cities increased the further they are from the capital
- Increased local unhappiness from occupied/puppeted cities
- Chance of rebels spawning near occupied/puppeted cities even if global happiness is positive and said chance increases as local happiness of these cities increase
- Production in cities decreased the further they are from the Capital
- Maintenance for all military increases during middle/late modern era

Thanks for the ideas. I like some of these! I'll keep them noted for when I deliberate more consciously over Japan. Much appreciated :)

That's very true, however getting the base tech and the Wonder can be very different things. I'm not sure it's too fair to give such awesome bonuses to the AI on higher levels when it is already very difficult to keep up with them early game for the average player.

Restricting it to Eastern should be good enough though.

How many Eastern civs will be there on a Standard size map? The chance of having more than one (player) is low, especially with mods.

I thought that the Papal States would be in the same category as Tuscany, Milan, Venice and Sicily (Ren Italy) and that the HRE would be in the same category as Prussia, Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Bohemia (divided states unified) alongside maybe the Flemish and Belgium too.

I think it has been stated multiple times that the Pope and the HRE need to have very specific objectives, as they were or are different political entities than the entire rest of civs... :rolleyes:

I totally get that it has been stated multiple times, but it doesn't mean that you can't bring the point up again.

I'm just stating possible groupings for the lone civs (and in my head these ones make sense). I think that HRE could fit in with civs like Germany (which as we all know is fashioned from it's ruined and is made of of lots of states), Switzerland (which again, is a unification of states not unlike germany) and as was Prussia.

It just seems it'd be more worthwhile to create groupings that multiple civs can be a part of as opposed to one off civs. In my head - the Cultural Diversity pack is to specify goals and bonuses for a particular vague subset of civs. These goals are there as guidelines for how you should play your civ. The civs inside the groupings are certainly not homogenous and I though that further "instructions" regarding how you should play your civ is the job of the UA.

I also find it a it strange that we can suggest that civs like Gran Colombia and Australia can be very similar and have them in the same grouping but as soon as I suggest otherwise - I'm looked at like a stray dog with [insert_dog_specific_disease_here].

(and if there is going to be a divide between Latin and Frontier civs, then it's probably possible that the More Civs Mexico could be in the Latin America side and that the CL Mexico could e on the frontier side - but that's just an idea)

It just seems it'd be more worthwhile to create groupings that multiple civs can be a part of as opposed to one off civs. In my head - the Cultural Diversity pack is to specify goals and bonuses for a particular vague subset of civs. These goals are there as guidelines for how you should play your civ. The civs inside the groupings are certainly not homogenous and I though that further "instructions" regarding how you should play your civ is the job of the UA.

There are like 10 groups for multiple civs and the Eastern blob has Slavs, Greeks, Lithuanians and Armenians within it.

(and if there is going to be a divide between Latin and Frontier civs, then it's probably possible that the More Civs Mexico could be in the Latin America side and that the CL Mexico could e on the frontier side - but that's just an idea)

I'll take the liberty of advocating for JFD here and say, again, that it's not gonna happen. Were those civs colonies at first? Yea they were, bam, there's a group. At first you want to create groups for multiple civs and incorporate Pope and the HRE into bigger blobs and make them feel generic (what about Japan??) and then you want to make a splinter group for two-three civs at best so they are unique. Hmm, guess why. (shoving More Civs Mexico to a different group than your civs xD)

That way the Eastern group should be broken down, because cultural differences are quite big here too. And India as well, the Mughals didn't have anything in common with the Maurya.

There are like 10 groups for multiple civs and the Eastern blob has Slavs, Greeks, Lithuanians and Armenians within it.

Yes, and I think that's a nice way to go. The vague grouping is good and the UA just gives you further instructions on how to play the civ.

I'll take the liberty of advocating for JFD here and say, again, that it's not gonna happen. Were those civs colonies at first? Yea they were, bam, there's a group.

If you are talking about Gran Colombia and Australia... then I don't understand that logic. Just because two remarkably different civs originated as Colonies it doesn't mean you should group them into the same category. That's like saying that Morocco and Carthage should belong in the same group because they inhabited North Africa.

At first you want to create groups for multiple civs and incorporate Pope and the HRE into bigger blobs and make them feel generic (what about Japan??) and then you want to make a splinter group for two-three civs at best so they are unique. Hmm, guess why.

Japan I feel is more than warranted their own group. And I never said that grouping the HRE and the Papal States into groups would make them generic - their UAs are enough to warrant heaps of uniqueness. The civs I proposed wouldn't be just two or three civs either.

I suggested that:

Frontier - Australia, Canada, America, Philippines, New Zealand, More Civs Modern India, Malaysia, Boers, Rhodesia (and perhaps CL Mexico)
Latin America - Gran Colombia, Peru, Argentina, More Civs Mexico (perhaps CL Mexico), Bolivia, Brazil

If you are trying to infer that I want the CL civs to be in their own unique special snowflake bubble, then you are totally wrong. I just think that civs like Bolivia and New Zealand are just vastly different to each other. It's kinda the same way I feel between say grouping the Tupi and the Inuit together. Just doesn't feel right.

That way the Eastern group should be broken down, because cultural differences are quite big here too. And India as well, the Mughals certainly didn't have anything in common with the Maurya.

The cultural differences may be quite big, but whether or not it's big enough to warrant multiple splits is not my decision to make.

I was just thinking that a HRE grouping with Germany would totally make sense and it'd give a sense of inclusion so that the HRE/Papal States offshoot groupings arent just one giant Unique Ability that no other civs have access too (which really is my main concern).

(just want to point out once again that there's no good reason for putting Mexico out of Latin America should there be another group, also agree that Australia isn't precisely into the colonial group)...

On that note, one could arguably say America/US could be into their own group too, like Japan. The way they affronted industrialization, pioneering, and the expansion of their culture and globalization kind of makes them a strong candidate for having their own cultural objectives.

That's true, but I was thinking more of the case for Japan was the reasons you listed and that it had all the Rising Sun civs from Hommusubi.

I think however in terms of Anglo-Western Civs - Australia, Canada and America all have extremely vast tracks of land, historical immigration that surpasses the indigenous populations, have a high quality of life and are all tourism powerhouses.

I think however in terms of Anglo-Western Civs - Australia, Canada and America all have extremely vast tracks of land, historical immigration that surpasses the indigenous populations, have a high quality of life and are all tourism powerhouses.

Not gonna disagree. But Brazil also has the qualities you mentioned here :) High quality of life is debatable, but it's rather a vague factor in this mod (and in the game based on what-ifs).

It's hard to balance everything out - and I still think the current set of cultural groups is good enough. You know too well I don't fancy the idea of Poland and Hungary being in the same group as Russia and Byzantium, but I'm fine with it for the sake of gameplay (frontiers of Christianity). And JFD hasn't even gotten do doing any group besides Steppe and Eastern yet, so what are we talking about :p In the end, it's JFD's mod, not ours, so I guess he will be doing what he wants anyway.

TPangolin, you're implying that my decision to separate the HRE and the Papal States was either not fully thought out, or that it was for lack of a better option at the time of formulating the basic outlines of these groups. Neither of these are true. From the beginning this mod was a conscious decision to facilitate the unique mechanics always present in other euro-centric historical games (obviously this is not in the strictest sense) for these two polities (e.g. the Total War series, the EU series, CKII, even the Into the Renaissance scenario). If anything, this project is a consequence of a desire for these things, but never a true justification for them. Sure, there is a case to be had that the Papal States could go into the same group as the Latin civs, or that the HRE could go in the same as the Central Europeans. From a strictly cultural perspective, ignoring all historical and political differences and significances, that would likely be a great idea. But you're interpreting the title of this project too literally and too narrowly, I believe.

Now, the political and cultural differences of the Papal States and the HRE are vastly - vastly - different than the differences between Latin American post-colonial civs and other post-colonial civs. Until recently, the Western world revolved around the former - it is the reason for the Spanish success in the New World, the reason for the success or stagnation of art, literature and science, etc. And all that really needs to be said about the latter is that it is so vastly different that it doesn't really belong in a civ game - for that it has little to no ethnic merit that cannot be already assumed by civs such as Austria or Germany or Spain. Simply, one cannot maintain advocacy for Japan whilst not doing so for these two groups. Incidentally, the reason for Japan's - tentative - inclusion in its own group is that I feel it is both culturally and mechanically justified; not so much as for the Papal States and the HRE, but certainly more so than any other civ after them.

Leugi does bring up an excellent point, which lies in the case for America. America has had such a devastatingly effective impact - in such a short time period too - upon the world that there may be justification for them being in their own group. But because I have not conceived any functional, or mechanical, justification as of yet, I feel no need to separate them.

Perhaps it has not been so obvious, but a lot of my decisions come from an emphasis on the political culture of certain civs - this is simply a consequence of my personal interest in politics over other areas of history.

I'm just stating possible groupings for the lone civs (and in my head these ones make sense). I think that HRE could fit in with civs like Germany (which as we all know is fashioned from it's ruined and is made of of lots of states), Switzerland (which again, is a unification of states not unlike germany) and as was Prussia.

Heh, direct quote. Some lines just stick in your head after a while. But, whilst true much of Germany's territory were formerly electorates and possessions within the HRE, applying a cultural label to the HRE is simply a matter of not understanding its nature as a non-cultural entity.

I also find it a it strange that we can suggest that civs like Gran Colombia and Australia can be very similar and have them in the same grouping but as soon as I suggest otherwise - I'm looked at like a stray dog with [insert_dog_specific_disease_here].

This has a subtle matyr-like tone to it, from my interpretation. The reason your opinion that Australia and Gran Colombia, for instance, can be separated is dismissed so quickly is because you have made no contextual case for doing so. You haven't really said how these "Fronter" civs would be different to the Latin American ones. In my mind, the same effects that would be granted unto one of these groups would equally apply to the other. This mod hasn't the personal objective to validate the cultural diversity of people, it has the job to facilitate it in a way that is acceptable within the frame works of the game.

It's kinda the same way I feel between say grouping the Tupi and the Inuit together. Just doesn't feel right.

This statement indicates to me that you're having a hard time swallowing the nature of the mod, and are having difficulty in seeing past the arbitrary implications that the project's title has given it. If I was so subjective, I would want to put England in its own group too - but that has little merit mechanically, and culturally would be down to complete and utter bias. I, like Jan, also hate the idea of putting Byzantium - as well as Armenia - in the Eastern group. It just doesn't fit thematically. But, for that this is a game, I must consider mechanics above all else. I am grateful that he shares, understands and accepts this view.

The only two things here that translate well into game mechanics are immigration and tourism. Both of these fit as equally for Latin American civs as they do for these ones. And, as Jan pointed out, high quality of life is a subjective matter that doesn't truly have any place in this sort of video game, where population is simply unhappy for existing.

That said, all of your input is certainly welcome. But, perhaps, a little less of the "beating a dead horse" on the matter of the Papal States and the HRE is called for. I am still open to splitting Colonial civs if there is an exceptionally good case, but as yet, I haven't received one.

Phew...

There is no implication of anything there, rather I think I think you are assuming tone. If there is any tone that I'm taking away from this it's one of rather you talking down to me like I'm an idiot. But tone is subjective, and now look who's assuming. Nevertheless it's just my main fear that having separate HRE and Papal States "groupings" might just look from afar like larger UAs which no other civs can get without subscribing to your specific civ mods. And upon proposing a grouping you seem to take offense at me doing so.

I might go ahead and outline some differences between Frontier civs and Latin America civs later on.

And for the record, I'm not having a hard time swallowing anything - it's your mod and I'm providing opinions.

Also what are the current groupings and their proposed focuses?

Come now, nothing was meant to be an affront. Your implication may not have been intentional, but it was there nonetheless.

I take no offense, unless offense is intended, which I'm sure its not. I'm just stating that your proposals don't fit within my design philosophy. And if you're not having a hard time accepting this philosophy (it seems that way by the fact that you're expressing concern over lumping together civs that are culturally distinct enough to warrant their own group), then you must be ignoring it. Your opinions are welcome, but I've repeatedly stated my stance on the HRE and the Papal States, which fit in-line with my design philosophy, and, to be honest, its getting a little tiresome to have to justify my position to apparently deaf ears (I'm not singling you out).

I apologise that I've come across as standoffish! That was certainly not my intent.

Top Bottom