Resource icon

Cultural Diversity

Many hurdles before Eastern completion?

When it is released, will it be a separate file or is it a new folder with the updated Steppe group and version 1 of the Eastern?

I cry when I think that this mod will take something like 2 months before being completed for all groups :(

On the other hand, we can download and use already finished Groups - I don't think it is unbalanced as each group receives not only bonuses but also penalties ;)

Many hurdles before Eastern completion?

When it is released, will it be a separate file or is it a new folder with the updated Steppe group and version 1 of the Eastern?

Sorry, just trying to wrap up something else before April 1st. After that, modding-civ, its almost entirely focused on getting the Easterns out.

Same file, just updated to a new version. Quite a few structural changes (some of them behind-the-scenes), so its more than just the addition of the Easterns.

I cry when I think that this mod will take something like 2 months before being completed for all groups :(

On the other hand, we can download and use already finished Groups - I don't think it is unbalanced as each group receives not only bonuses but also penalties ;)

I cry when I think that not only do I have this project, but Sovereign Revisal and a tonne of civs I want to do, and then my own personal work, my university work, etc. I don't know how long it'll take, but that's why I decided to release each group as they are finished.

Hi JFD

for some reason Yurt and Golden Tent are possible to build for non - steppe civs o_o

also I am not sure if cultural abilities are unique to steppe civs...

There is a bug where other civs are able to research the unique steppe technology, which allows them to build the Yurt and Golden Tent. Should be fixed in the update.

I don't think non-Steppes are getting the abilities of the Steppes. What makes you say that exactly?

Okay, the update for Cultural Diversity is ready, but I want to wait - a day - for Hungary to be ready; given the congruency of updating Hungary at this time. So, in the mean time, the details on the Eastern group:

Spoiler :

The UI is still a work in progress, but at least it works better this time. With each update I'll change it up until I have the final product. Down the line I will allow you to view the cultural groups of civs in-game, as well as their bonuses, penalties and objectives if you have an embassy with them.

Spoiler :

I've decided to take events to heart. These are not random events; they are merely immersive events that alert you to the completion of a special objective (both by you and the AI) and will hopefully enrich the world. There will be two such objectives for each civ group. Credit goes to Sukritact for making the fantastic icon, and to Leugi for the idea of using these icons as a way to represent each group, and thanks to Janboruta for making the Eastern crown. It certainly looks nicer this way than before:

Spoiler :

There are also significant updates to come to the Steppes, including a few new Objectives and a variety of different benefits, as opposed to the current culture only reward.

The next group that I will work on will certainly be the Tribal Americans. There was a lot of structural, behind-the-scenes changes that caused the Eastern group to take so long, in addition to the rush to finish the World According to Modders thing (plus a peak in Uni work), but none of these apply for the next two weeks, so the Tribal Americans should not take anywhere near as long.

I never really thought about it like that, but you do have a point. "Your Holiness, you just united the once divided Christian Churches. What say you?" "Okay." Thanks for pointing it out :) I'll think of something more dramatic.

The next group that I will work on will certainly be the Tribal Americans. There was a lot of structural, behind-the-scenes changes that caused the Eastern group to take so long, in addition to the rush to finish the World According to Modders thing (plus a peak in Uni work), but none of these apply for the next two weeks, so the Tribal Americans should not take anywhere near as long.

Now let me ask one annoying question... I mean, I am very patient and in no way hurry you, just how do you think - how much time is needed for each Cultural Group ;)

Eastern Europeans seem to be really interesting. Just one question - only four, not five Upsides of the cultural group? Steppe civs had 5 :p

The length of time it'll take is something I cannot even guess. That involves many different variables; some of which I have no control over. It depends largely on the complexity of the group, how available ideas that I want to use for the group are, and then how much time I can devote to it, when I have RL things to get done, as well as civs to update. I'm eager to get them done as quickly as I can, too, but at the same time I don't want to release things too full of bugs. Not a helpful answer, I think, but still.

I think that the Easterns have bonuses that are more powerful than the Steppe ones - although granted they come into play in passive circumstances. On the other hand, I have added a small bonus to Great General movement for the Steppes, as per the recommendation of a user who found their GGs couldn't keep up with their Great Horde. For now, I think it's fine, but it could be a different story when someone playtests it.

Version 2 released:

• Added new Cultural Group: Eastern. Eastern civilizations are exceptionally resilient; tough to conquer and can resist occupation longer than other civilizations.
  • Recreated UI from scratch, to avoid the original bug of it not showing up properly the first time opened, and to make improvements in the future easier (this UI is a heavy W.I.P.)
  • Added new ways to reflect the cultural group of each civ, thanks to both Leugi and Sukritact.
  • Replaced a few objectives for the Steppes and diversified their rewards.
  • Steppe unique technology no longer extends land trade routes. This is a function of one of their objective rewards.
  • Added new "Global Events" which trigger when certain objectives are achieved by yourself or other civilizations.
  • Added an additional movement to the Great General for the Steppe bonuses.
  • Increased the science penalty for the Steppes.
  • Added many structural changes to make the coding of the mod more streamlined (irrelevant, but still took a bit of work, so worth a mention).
  • Fixed that civilizations whose group haven't yet been defined could research the unique technologies.
  • Rewards for objectives are now facilitated through buildings, so mods which alter the TopPanel.lua will no longer be secretly incompatible (this would've been the case for Armenia, one of the Eastern civs).

Crap, I just realised that I forgot to facilitate your suggestion, mrc2022. Sorry; it will have to wait for the next update.

I would like to thank Surkitact and Janboruta for their work on the icons for the Eastern civs, Krajzen for some of the ideas for the Eastern civs (and, incidentally, some of which inspired the Hungary update) and to everyone who has been eagerly awaiting this update.

Please report any bugs that you encounter (I have playtested this, but only within specific conditions). Also, please leave feedback on your experiences and any suggestions.

Please note that the event notifications are also a work in progress; in the future I may include images to go along with them, for a closer experience to that in the EU or Total War series.

Planning for Tribal Americans will begin shortly, so now is the time to amass any ideas for them that haven't yet been given.

How come that the only Eastern Civs are Poland, Byzantium and Russia :confused:.

Either way thanks for updating the Steppes, now my Horde won't have to wait for my GGs to arrive.

Sorry, I had to go through and link all of the others to their authors; you must've seen it before I finished. It's fixed now :)

Oh yes, and it would be immensely helpful if someone could help me compile a list of the Tribal Americans. I have the spreadsheet that Hiram made for me still, but it doesn't accommodate the distinction between Tribal and High American.

Thus far, I can be certain of:

Shoshone
Iroquois
Cherokee (LastSword)
Haide (LastSword)
Souix (LastSword)
Tupi (Leugi)

Shoshone... and... Cherokee... :mad:
That... Shoshone's... Pathfinder... AI... Not only they do not choose the reward, they got none.

Tribal Americans... Huge territory to population ratio? I am afraid, I lost the track in this thread and there is high probability that I will repeat ideas already suggested. I may contribute to the next group.

PS. Good job on France split (both of you). I forget to mention how I abused ability (opss).
PS2. Colours are still hideous.

Oh yes, and it would be immensely helpful if someone could help me compile a list of the Tribal Americans. I have the spreadsheet that Hiram made for me still, but it doesn't accommodate the distinction between Tribal and High American.

Thus far, I can be certain of:

Shoshone
Iroquois
Cherokee (LastSword)
Haide (LastSword)
Souix (LastSword)
Tupi (Leugi)

Add there the Aymara and the Mapuche (and the Uru and the Guaraní once I make them of course), add there the Inuit probably once TP finishes them (which I think will be soonish)

That... Shoshone's... Pathfinder... AI... Not only they do not choose the reward, they got none.

Really? What the hell, Firaxis.

Add there the Aymara and the Mapuche (and the Uru and the Guaraní once I make them of course), add there the Inuit probably once TP finishes them (which I think will be soonish)

Good to know, thanks. These are the ones that I was unsure about.

Tribal Americans... Huge territory to population ratio? I am afraid, I lost the track in this thread and there is high probability that I will repeat ideas already suggested. I may contribute to the next group.

You know what I'd love? Can work tiles outside your borders (though still within the city radius). Probably impossible, right?

You know what I'd love? Can work tiles outside your borders (though still within the city radius). Probably impossible, right?

You know what I'd love (generally speaking, not for this group)? Can work one city tile with two citizens :p

Top Bottom