Current (SVN) development discussion thread

Yes it is definitely loaded. I checked it again just to be sure. Anyway, I think something might be wrong with the leaderheads? When I hover over these civs info displays as usual, only when i click on them the game crashes. Maybe it's worth noting that in the main menu the original BTS music plays, although the background is RFC's.

That sounds like the checkout of the mod hasn't completed and you lack crucial game files (graphics etc). What happens when try to update the mod folder?

Update
Working copy 'C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond
the Sword\Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization' locked.
'C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the
Sword\Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization' is already locked.
That's what happens. I'm running win7.

I think the Kongo should not be affected by Reformation that is happening far far away in Europe.
Then,
Ottoman Empire, whom control Catholic Constantinople, Singidunon and Athena, should not declare war on Fatimid just because it's AP decision...

I think the Kongo should not be affected by Reformation that is happening far far away in Europe.
Then,
Ottoman Empire, whom control Catholic Constantinople, Singidunon and Athena, should not declare war on Fatimid just because it's AP decision...

This is a really good point. Is there a way to make the AP only apply to countries with Catholicism as a State Religion? Then it won't affect Byzantium, Russia, Turkey, Moors, Arabia and Egypt as often as it does now. Holy wars of Muslims against Muslims (considering there's only one Islam in DoC) don't really make sense. Similarly, I've seen the Pope call Orthodox Russians and Byzantines to war many times.. which would never happen.

Good point. I'll see how hard it is to change this behavior.

If I play as Persia and I survive the Arabs and Seljuks,does Iran still spawn then?

No, Iran can only spawn if Persia is dead.

New revision is up:
- embassies re-enabled, they should be fixed now
- the Apostolic Palace only has full members and no voting members anymore. This means only civs with Catholic state religion can vote or be affected by its resolutions.
- the AI won't assign great generals to mercenaries anymore

I've noticed that Portugal or Spain will usually convert to Islam after driving out the Moors. Also, the Moors are usually driven out of Iberia immediately after Spain spawns instead of offering any real resistance. Perhaps this could be changed so that they aren't conquered until about the 1200's, the time of Los Navos de Tolosa. However, you have made a really awesome modmod. I appreciate all the extra civs you've added and the changes (especially AI conquerors) as they are all fun to play with (still trying to do domination as Kongo).

Sorry, not sure if this thread is appropriate for such a basic question: i am having trouble installing the SVN modmod, i have sync'd the folders (both Documents\My Games\beyond the sword\MODS and \steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Mods), RFC Dawn of Civilization appears on the Load a mod dialog, but no map appears in the scenario selection dialog.

I have not downloaded the modmod through the traditional mean, i simply sync'd the mods folders to the online repository. Is there something i am missing?

Thanks you :D

Sorry if I'm bothering anyone, however I seem to have an earlier version of the modmod. I don't have Poland. Can anyone direct me to the link?
Thanks, and nice job on the modmod. I love it.

Nevermind, haha I figured it out. Nice to have the Polish.

I've noticed that Portugal or Spain will usually convert to Islam after driving out the Moors. Also, the Moors are usually driven out of Iberia immediately after Spain spawns instead of offering any real resistance. Perhaps this could be changed so that they aren't conquered until about the 1200's, the time of Los Navos de Tolosa. However, you have made a really awesome modmod. I appreciate all the extra civs you've added and the changes (especially AI conquerors) as they are all fun to play with (still trying to do domination as Kongo).
Yes, the situation on the Iberian peninsula is still not optimal and I'm currently finetuning it while doing other stuff. Previously the Moors never left Iberia and Spain was in a sorry state, so I buffed them to prevent super Moors.

I'm currently considering to move the Spanish spawn back to where it's been, I guess things will develop more naturally then.

Sorry, not sure if this thread is appropriate for such a basic question: i am having trouble installing the SVN modmod, i have sync'd the folders (both Documents\My Games\beyond the sword\MODS and \steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Mods), RFC Dawn of Civilization appears on the Load a mod dialog, but no map appears in the scenario selection dialog.

I have not downloaded the modmod through the traditional mean, i simply sync'd the mods folders to the online repository. Is there something i am missing?

Thanks you :D
Exactly the right place to ask :)

It appears you're using the steam version of Civ4, right? I don't have that so I don't know where mods usually go there, but if you have checked out the SVN repository into the same directory where you've put RFC it should work.

Alternately, what does happen if you directly start one of the scenarios in the PublicMaps folder?

Exactly the right place to ask :)

It appears you're using the steam version of Civ4, right? I don't have that so I don't know where mods usually go there, but if you have checked out the SVN repository into the same directory where you've put RFC it should work.

Alternately, what does happen if you directly start one of the scenarios in the PublicMaps folder?

Yeah, damned steam shenanigans.

I located no less than THREE separate BtS folders:
  • \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods
  • \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Mods
  • \Documents\My Games\beyond the sword\MODS

My brute force approach: SVN the modmod in one folder and then copy/paste the thing to all three places.

I have managed to load the mod, and even start a game. However, the internal interface seems to be bugged, it seems there is still something amiss. I wonder if having the same folder in several places messes up civ4 somehow.

GOT IT. For some reason SVN only d/l 600 of the 1200 mbs of the modmod at first. Some fiddling with svn later and i got the whole package. Thx ^_^

Good to hear :)

embassies re-enabled, they should be fixed now

I kinda failed to understand whats good does embassies brings :mischief:
IMO they are build-able too early... that cause far-away civilization like Spain and Korea to trade technologies, resources etc and keep permanent contact in like 1400-1600 AD :eek:
I don't really remember when does Civil Service is usually researched, however~ I might be wrong.

On another note,
I think in UN, not all civilization should be granted option do defy resolution.
IMO, this cause most of UN Resolutions, except Nuclear, to be defied every turn.
I don't remember but usually it's either India or Iran that defy the Secularism? resolution.
And there's always another civilization that defy resolution A or resolution B.

In the real life,
only 5 civilization are allowed to veto the resolutions : US, France, England, China and Russia. Civilization like Saudi Arabia or Indonesia can do nothing but accept the resolution. Sometimes the resolutions cause disturbance in the country, but well, what can one do? ;)

Back to DoC,
Here's my proposal related to the above paragraph :
  1. Only 5 member can veto the resolutions :
    • The civilization ranked #1 in Scoreboard
    • The civilization that control the biggest land
    • The most populated civilization
    • The most advanced civilization
    • The most cultured civilization
  2. IF
    • Scoreboard Rank = China, Russia, USA, German and Mughal
    • Biggest Civ Rank = China, Mongolia, German, Spain and England
    • Most populated rank = China, India, Indonesia, USA, and Japan
    • Most advanced rank = China, Japan, German, USA, and Poland
    • Most cultured rank = China, India, Arabia, Aztec, and Iran
    Then
    • China
    • Mongolia
    • India
    • Japan
    • Arabia
    Should be granted the veto rights. Therefore, if there's same civilization that control all, in this example : China, all rights will not be granted to the same one civilization; but to next in line~ order of checking is from Scoreboard to Culture; So India will only be elected because of Population, not because the Culture.
  3. Veto list is checked every time there's new UN Secretary Election, so no permanent one like in the real life. Whoever is the most influential at that time, they get the veto right :)
  4. If there's less than 8 civilization at the time UN is built (highly unlikely, usually there's at least German, USA, France and/or Spain, Turkey, Arab and/or Egypt, Russia, Thai and/or Khmer, British and/or Norway, Dutch by the time it's built.), there is no veto right, so everybody can defy the resolution.
  5. IMO we need more resolutions, like Open Borders with everyone, Adopt all civics (not limited to Secularism/Enviromentalism etc that happen to be the newest civs option) so one can propose "Adopt Theocracy" to UN, War against newly-respawned civilization, Peace against newly-respawned civilization, "Fission" technology for everyone (about balancing the technology so backward civilization can get free tech), etc.

Is there defy resolutions thing in AP? I don't remember.

IMO they are build-able too early... that cause far-away civilization like Spain and Korea to trade technologies, resources etc and keep permanent contact in like 1400-1600 AD

Which isn't ahistorical, it's more or less the time trading posts in other continents were created.

but not permanent. It changes with change of dynasty etc.. then the respective civilization forgotten they once had contact with that civilization..

On another note,
I think in UN, not all civilization should be granted option do defy resolution.
IMO, this cause most of UN Resolutions, except Nuclear, to be defied every turn.
I don't remember but usually it's either India or Iran that defy the Secularism? resolution.
And there's always another civilization that defy resolution A or resolution B.

In the real life,
only 5 civilization are allowed to veto the resolutions : US, France, England, China and Russia. Civilization like Saudi Arabia or Indonesia can do nothing but accept the resolution. Sometimes the resolutions cause disturbance in the country, but well, what can one do? ;)

You don't seem to understand how UN works. Yes only few members can veto a resolution, but no one can force anyone to accept a resolution in any other way than sanctions or military intervention. A lot of countries defies resolutions of UN and nothing is done about it. Look at Syria for most recent example. ;)

Top Bottom