Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it would be using the congress mechanics for the UN. I'm all for it.

Could you change it so that before the discovery of Astronomy (or another reasonable tech) countries can only vassalise there neighbours in order to stop, for example, the Ottomans vassalising the Neatherlands or the Germans Vassalising Portugal or the Arabs Vassalising Vikings (or in one of my games England!)?

Could you change it so that before the discovery of Astronomy (or another reasonable tech) countries can only vassalise there neighbours?

Yeh, it'd make sense to limit vassalizations to one's continent (edit: until Astronomy, ofc). I also think newly spawned civs should refuse to be vassals for their first, say, 20 turns; they are always weak and often at war with a big, old civ, making them too easy targets for vassals.

I do wish also that the vassal relationship was a more demanding commitment (vassals break away more easily, but they also give gifts). Maybe make them give benefits like CiV city-states, giving gifts of food, troops, etc.?

Yeh, it'd make sense to limit vassalizations to one's continent.

I totally disagree ! how would you represent the english occupation of india, if not by a vassasized respawn of india ? :confused:
But it's true that the system for vassalazation in RFC could be made better, I just have no idea how. And Leoreth already has a lot on his hands right now, working on the new stuff for the new patch, so it's probably not his priority to change the vassal system at this point.

And leoreth, are you planning to give civics at the start of the game for each civ in your next patch ? Having to switch civics (and even religion) with recent civs is just a waste of turn, as the US started off with some civics like representation, secularism... and not as a sort of tribe ruled by a tyrant in an unorganized manner.

(yes, it's also another unimportant detail, but it seems quite easy to implement :mischief:)

I totally disagree ! how would you represent the english occupation of india, if not by a vassasized respawn of india ? :confused:
But it's true that the system for vassalazation in RFC could be made better, I just have no idea how. And Leoreth already has a lot on his hands right now, working on the new stuff for the new patch, so it's probably not his priority to change the vassal system at this point.

I wonder if BtS's colony system could recognize a civ's spawn area and autopick whichever civ is appropriate after you liberate them from your rule. It could be a fun aspect, but likely too deterministic as it would ban them from future respawns.

Could you change it so that before the discovery of Astronomy (or another reasonable tech) countries can only vassalise there neighbours in order to stop, for example, the Ottomans vassalising the Neatherlands or the Germans Vassalising Portugal or the Arabs Vassalising Vikings (or in one of my games England!)?
I was already thinking about something like this as well, and Astronomy is a good threshold.

The problem with vassalising to one's neighbors is only that Netherlands and Portugal tend to get crippled beyond recognition once they yield to their neighbors. Maybe it would make sense to exclude core tiles from the "master gets his BFC no matter what culture he has" rule.

But currently I neither know how to influence the vassalization decisions nor how to meddle with the tile control rules.

I do wish also that the vassal relationship was a more demanding commitment (vassals break away more easily, but they also give gifts). Maybe make them give benefits like CiV city-states, giving gifts of food, troops, etc.?
I fear this would get too difficult.

And leoreth, are you planning to give civics at the start of the game for each civ in your next patch ? Having to switch civics (and even religion) with recent civs is just a waste of turn, as the US started off with some civics like representation, secularism... and not as a sort of tribe ruled by a tyrant in an unorganized manner.
No, it took them until 2001 to be ruled that way ;)

Seriously though, I think I can at least set an appropriate starting religion and some civics, yes.

Yeah, it actually gets pretty annoying that when I play as Russia the DoM screen says something like "the russian people have converted to cristianity" and then I have to sit around for like 500 years with my fingers crossed hoping cristianity (and not something completely random, like zoroastrianism) will FINALLY spread to one of my cities, even though christianity was supposed to be in Russia from the start.

Indeed, Russia should start with a missionary because seeing a Muslim Russia (or a Muslim England) is not uncommon. Wasn't there a coded thing to auto spread religions in the regions they did spread in (Europe for Christianity, middle east for Islam) and hardly anywhere else ?

Can I suggest some small cosmetic changes to India? It's just there are a lot of areas in India that should have huge populations but instead in the game just don't (like the inhospitable and unsettleable Karachi).

I have attached a map of changes I would recommend.

It involves removing three jungle tiles to make for alternative city placements. Also removal of jungle in a region which is mainly plains near Bombay, changing marsh to floodplains around Karachi, changing an existing floodplain to a desert further up-river, moving a fish resource near Chennai, moving a spice in the south and adding extra fish for Bombay, and changing two mountain tiles into hills (including the site of Colombo).

Also some river alterations could be made. The current river in southern India seems (from the city names map) to represent the river near Madras, however this, if true, would be misplaced and oversized. Instead I would propose moving this river south and shortening it as well as adding in the larger Godavari river in the north.

Also the Citynamemanager could be altered to reflect the moved river. Primarily the northern most Tanjapuri would become another Chennai.

Also as spices were introduced by the Portuguese from the Americas these (along with other spices in the old world) could be programmed to appear in 1600 to represent the Columbian exchange.

Also to counter concerns about India becoming too strong before they arise I would also suggest a Barbarian/Independant city spawning (Raipur) to give the north a hard time along with a surge of barbarians coming out of Afghanistan simulating the Mughals.

Attachments

• India Changes Suggestion.JPG
    India Changes Suggestion.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 121
Looks great, thanks! I'll wrap my head around it when I start to redo Finland :)

Also please add some sugar or spices to Sri Lanka, which was a significant part Portuguese and Dutch empires, even the British should have it on their settler maps.

Also Hawaii could be made more settleable by changing the mountain into a hill (at least). I have never seen the AI settle it anyways, is it on anybody's settlermap?

Also please add some sugar or spices to Sri Lanka, which was a significant part Portuguese and Dutch empires, even the British should have it on their settler maps.

Also Hawaii could be made more settleable by changing the mountain into a hill (at least). I have never seen the AI settle it anyways, is it on anybody's settlermap?

Indeed, to both of these. Hawaii could even use a sugar resource or something, I believe they did produce quite a bit of it. Then again, it's been a while since I read up my Hawaiian history. But, with a resource like that there, it'd be actually beneficial to settle.

Indeed, to both of these. Hawaii could even use a sugar resource or something, I believe they did produce quite a bit of it. Then again, it's been a while since I read up my Hawaiian history. But, with a resource like that there, it'd be actually beneficial to settle.

Sugar was actually the reason the US annexed Hawaii!

Just wondering, is there a mechanism for removing resources in the game to represent depletion of certain resources? Right now, by the time most civs become huge colonizing powers, they have so many health and happiness resources already from other territories and could get whatever resources they still need from trading their surplus resources.

Certain things such as copper in Iraq, and North African Bush elephants in Morocco and Tunis don't seem to make much sense in modern times. I think there should be scripted special events that pop up at certain times to represent and notify players the depletion/extinction of certain resources.

This way there will also be less qualms about making New World areas contain more resources and be afraid it will cause too much resource inflation since the total amount of that resource will still be the same.

An example would be be, for the elephant resource in North Africa after year x, the elephant resource would continue to exist normally for 30 turns in which there is a camp built on top of it. After which, there is a 5% chance ever year in which the camp and resource are both cleared.

Another option would be to consider increase happiness and health minuses in later eras or at high pop levels.

As far as I'm aware, resources provide the same benefits as long as you have them, until the advent of corporations.

Why is it that when the American's conquer Kudus or Al-Kuwait they get renamed to Jerusalem and Kuwait city. Is there similar effects when the French, or other European civs enter the region to conquer?

Because that's how the city-names work... When you conquer something, it usually changes it's name to the language of the conqueror. Roma turns to Rom if captured by Germany, Beijing turns to Khanbaliq if captured by Mongolia, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom